Selective Presecution and Freedom of Speech...

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
<h1>Right to Protest at Risk</h1>
by Judy Ettenhofer

<blockquote>Through dramatic but nonviolent protests, Greenpeace has for more than 30 years brought the world's attention to - and helped reduce - actions that degrade the environment. Nuclear testing, seal and whale hunting and toxic emissions all have been curbed in the aftermath of Greenpeace efforts to expose their deleterious effects on human and animal species.

But the group's extraordinary worldwide impact could be cut back if U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft has his way. Greenpeace faces unprecedented criminal charges that could significantly diminish the group's ability to operate - and potentially chill similar protest acts by a wide array of activist organizations.

The case stems from an action by Greenpeace off the coast of Florida related to one of its causes, protesting illegal logging. On April 12, 2002, Greenpeace activists in small boats pulled up to a cargo ship outside the Port of Miami that they believed was carrying a shipment of mahogany illegally exported from Brazil. Two members of Greenpeace boarded the cargo ship with the intention of unfurling a banner reading "President Bush, Stop Illegal Logging."

The duo were blocked in their efforts and arrested, along with four other protesters. They were charged with interfering with the Coast Guard and illegally boarding the ship. They spent the weekend in jail and paid a fine, typical punishments for those who practice the long-honored tradition of civil disobedience.

But these are not tolerant times for civil disobedience. And for Greenpeace in particular, which has long objected to a number of George W. Bush's environmental policies, this is not a tolerant presidential administration. Fifteen months after the cargo ship incident, Greenpeace was charged under an obscure 1872 federal law against "sailor-mongering," a long-ago practice by workers at brothels and taverns of boarding ships to entice sailors ashore.

What the law specifically prohibits is unofficial boarding of a ship about to arrive at its destination - which is technically what Greenpeace did. However, the law hasn't been used in more than 100 years, said Jonathan Turley, a law professor at George Washington University.

"The extraordinary effort made to find and use this obscure law strongly suggests a campaign of selective prosecution - the greatest scourge of the First Amendment," Turley wrote in the Los Angeles Times. "Greenpeace was engaged in a classic protest used by countless organizations, from those of the civil rights movement to anti-abortion groups. It is a way for citizens to express their opposition by literally standing in the path of the government."

John Passacantando, executive director of Greenpeace in the United States, asserts Ashcroft's prosecution of his group is unprecedented. "Never before has our government criminally prosecuted an entire organization for the free speech activities of its supporters," he said. "If this prosecution succeeds, then peaceful protest - an essential American tradition from the Boston Tea Party through the modern civil rights movement - may become yet another casualty of Attorney General Ashcroft's attack on civil liberties."

Passacantando's words aren't mere hyperbole. If Greenpeace is convicted, it could be fined $10,000 and placed on five years' probation, requiring regular oversight by a federal probation officer. The group's tactics and membership rolls would be open to close federal scrutiny. Some observers also fear the group could lose its tax-exempt status, ruinous to a nonprofit organization.

In late December, lawyers for Greenpeace asked for the charges to be dismissed, contending the case "implicates the fundamental rights of all Americans to engage in peaceful protest." U.S. District Judge Adalberto Jordan said he would rule on the request early this year. If it's denied, a trial could occur in May.

Ashcroft's pursuit of Greenpeace may be draped with the banner of domestic security concerns, but that's a cover for his real purpose: to quash critics of the Bush administration by making them hesitant to exercise their free speech right to protest.

Such protest is fundamental to a democracy, both honored and assured by America's founders. Ashcroft's attempt to compromise this principle brings a chill over us all. </blockquote>

Who the hell are they to be boarding ships? They broke the law and now they'll get punished for doing so. Maybe I'll now have less of these twits nagging me on the streets in the city. Can't walk 5 blocks without one of them harassing you to join their effort. I guess they didn't get enough donations so they had to rely on vigilante tactics. They'll get no sympathy from me.

You have got to be kidding me.

The case stems from an action by Greenpeace off the coast of Florida related to one of its causes, protesting illegal logging. On April 12, 2002, Greenpeace activists in small boats pulled up to a cargo ship outside the Port of Miami that they believed was carrying a shipment of mahogany illegally exported from Brazil. Two members of Greenpeace boarded the cargo ship with the intention of unfurling a banner reading "President Bush, Stop Illegal Logging."

Greenpeace avtivists want the right to use small boats along side ships and protest?

Can anybody remember the U.S.S. Cole ?

Surely, you jest. Enforcement of a law prohibiting illegal boarding of ships ...somehow compared to civil disobedience and abortion activists? Since when was the civil rights movement guilt of boarding a ship about to dock? Since when do abortion debates/assemblies take place on small boats alongside ships about to dock wherein the protestors board those ships illegally???

These people did something illegal. In an effort to control the waterways, they were made to obey the law.

...Prosecution under a law that hasn't been enforced for nearly 100 years...A law written to keep pimps and whores from shangahing sailors in the 19th century. Yeah...sure, whatever you say.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
...Prosecution under a law that hasn't been enforced for nearly 100 years...A law written to keep pimps and whores from shangahing sailors in the 19th century. Yeah...sure, whatever you say.
Don't like it? Repeal it! There is no possible excuse for violating the law and trespassing on someone else's property. Not to mention bellyaching because you got caught and don't like the penalty. Did they know it was illegal? Yes. Did they have knowledge that the law existed? Yes. Stupidity in action.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit

Did we have terrorists blowing up ships 100 years ago?

It's insane to think someone won't be prosecuted for rowing up to a ship in their dingies and boarding as if they were entitled to.

If the shoe fits ...I once thought of greenpeace as a bunch of noble folks .....that changed when a friend of mine died off the coast brazil..on a greenpeace ship..from heatstoke..in his bunk..the ship had no air-ventilation system and was not sea worthy...the radio didnt work...by the time help arrived my friend paid one hell of a price to save a fucking tree.left an ex- wife and 2 kids...so yea..whatever the law gives em, do stupid things and pay the dept...

Most peaceful protest involves breaking some law. People who participated in "sit-ins" broke state segregation laws. So long as no one's safety is compromised, peaceful protest MUST be protected. The point of the article isn't that that the people who boarded the ship were prosecuted, it was how and under what law. Greenpeace itself is now being charged for the incident 15 MONTHS AFTER it occurred under a law that hasn't been used for prosecution in 100 years. Did you all read the article? The problem is that Ashcroft and the new American Gestapo are trying to use this law to stop Greenpeace in it's peaceful, first-amendment protected protests.

The civil liberties of all Americans are under attack. John Poindexter is creating a database with dossiers on every American citizen as part of Total Information Awareness. Privacy will be a thing of the past, and big brother will be watching all of us if Ashcroft and the new the American Gestapo are allowed to continue.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
Most peaceful protest involves breaking some law. People who participated in "sit-ins" broke state segregation laws. So long as no one's safety is compromised, peaceful protest MUST be protected. The point of the article isn't that that the people who boarded the ship were prosecuted, it was how and under what law. Greenpeace itself is now being charged for the incident 15 MONTHS AFTER it occurred. Did you all read the article? The problem is that Ashcroft and the new American Gestapo are trying to use this law to stop Greenpeace in it's peaceful, first-amendment protected protests.

The civil liberties of all Americans are under attack. John Poindexter is creating a database with dossiers on every American citizen as part of Total Information Awareness. Privacy will be a thing of the past, and big brother will be watching all of us if Ashcroft and the new the American Gestapo are allowed to continue.

acludem

And I'll say it again, THEY BROKE THE LAW. In the USA, when you break the law you get punished.

Should I scour my local law books for the least frequently applied laws, and then selectively break them? Would I be in the right if they haven't applied them lately? How long does it have to be in between charges before a law is no longer a law?

The two people involved in the protest WERE convicted and punished, no one is disputing that they should be. No one is calling their prosecution a problem.

The problem, once again, is that now 15 MONTHS LATER Greenpeace is separately being charged under an 1872 law that hasn't been applied in 100 years, and it is debatable at best whether Greenpeace violated this law. This prosecution is purely political and is attempt to curb Greenpeace's ability to peacefully protest. Please, please, please re-read the article. Then you might understand the point the author is trying to make.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
The two people involved in the protest WERE convicted and punished, no one is disputing that they should be. No one is calling their prosecution a problem.

The problem, once again, is that now 15 MONTHS LATER Greenpeace is separately being charged under an 1872 law that hasn't been applied in 100 years, and it is debatable at best whether Greenpeace violated this law. This prosecution is purely political and is attempt to curb Greenpeace's ability to peacefully protest. Please, please, please re-read the article. Then you might understand the point the author is trying to make.

acludem

I read the article and don't feel the need to do so again. THEY BROKE THE LAW. Who cares if it was from 1872? And you didn't answer my questions!

"Should I scour my local law books for the least frequently applied laws, and then selectively break them? Would I be in the right if they haven't applied them lately? How long does it have to be in between charges before a law is no longer a law?"

If the law is on the books and it was broken and lawpeople choose to prosecute said lawbreakers....tough.....maybe they want to send a message to the stupid asses that boarding a ship such as they did is Illegal and punishable under law....no matter how old or little used said law is...jaywalking is Illegal in most cities...is it inforced???? I would have to say yes...Selectively!!!

Originally posted by MtnBiker
You have got to be kidding me.

Greenpeace avtivists want the right to use small boats along side ships and protest?

Can anybody remember the U.S.S. Cole ?

My first reaction as well.

And the excuse that the law hasn't been enforced is totally lame - and probably inaccurate. Boarding someone else's vessel without permission is trespassing. It is inconceivable that nobody in 100 years has been arrested for that.

I wouldn't classify trying to put a banner on a ship vigilantism. Greenpeace has long been known for it's peaceful nature, hence the word peace in the name. This isn't PETA, folks. This organization is responsible for keeping Dolphins from becoming extinct because of drop-net Tuna fishing. Greenpeace is not a violent organization. They have tried to stop illegal whaling, fishing, and other marine activity by trying to block ships enganged in it.

The greenpeace members in this situation used the same tactic people who participate in a sit-in did, a picket-line do, or a human chain do. The same tactic is employed by those who will sit in a tree to keep it from being cut down. They were arrested and accepted responsibility and were punished. Now Ashcroft is filing politically motivated charges. Greenpeace is being charged with trespassing, they are being charged under a law that was originally designed to stop prostitutes from advertising themselves. And by the way, did any of you read the part about the suspected ILLEGALLY exported mahogany? Were those who were smuggling this in charged? Or should they escape prosecution because all they did was cut down a few endagered trees? The broke the law also, and I don't hear any of you calling for their heads.

acludem

Bullshit.

Private property is private property. Do you want activists hanging banners on your car or house for causes with which you disagree?

Here's a useful little rule to live by: Don't encourage or excuse behavior of which you would not wish to be the object.

there is a difference between a legal protest and an illegal one....trespassing, boarding a ship you dont own without permission is illegal and as such is punishable by laws on the books...they were very lucky to not have been shot dead.....

Originally posted by wonderwench
My first reaction as well.

And the excuse that the law hasn't been enforced is totally lame - and probably inaccurate. Boarding someone else's vessel without permission is trespassing. It is inconceivable that nobody in 100 years has been arrested for that.
Hey thanks for recognizing that point, Wonderwench.

What would Bully or Acludem have us do? Imagine a ship's captian making an assesment on two incoming small boats and readying his crew for such an event. "Well boys that one boat there has Greenpeace banners, go ahead and let them board and run rampant. But that other boat there has terrorists with weapons, keep them from coming near the ship."

Forum List

Back