Seeding oceans with iron could help limit global warming

Show some respect, he's the only person ever to get a measurable increase in temperature from a 200PPM increase in CO2.

You are simply incorrect.

The fact that this is new knowledge to you speaks more to your lack of scientific education and understanding than to the novelty of my results.

Additionally, how acidic fruit juice is, is irrelevent to whether or not the pH you expose the sperm, ovum and the larvae of base of food-chain seaspermia to impacts their survival and proliferation. Big difference between the the acidity we can tolerate in small samples and the pH levels we require to persist in constant exposure.

I guess you don't understand your own awesomeness.

Nobody, no one, not one person before you ever, not once, not ever got the results you described.

You are the Cold Fusion of AGW!!

We couldn't find these results you described at IPCC, NOAA, MIT, NASA not anywhere!

Apparently.

It appears to be psychological and deeply rooted.

in 2011, humanity added 37.5 billion tons of new carbon to the atmosphere. Over the last 150 years we have added ~340 billion tons of new carbon to our planet's atmosphere.

pH = - log10[aH+]

Δa/a1 = (a2-a1)/a1 = (10^-Δp) - 1

pH of the ocean changes from 8.2 - 8.1 = Δp = -0.1

fractional change in a = (10^0.1) - 1 = 1.259 - 1 = 0.259 rounded to one sigfig (significant figure) = 0.3 = 30% increase in acidification of ocean waters.

I see.

340 billion tons.

Hmm

Are you sure that's the right number cause that's see awfully large to me?

Indeed it is, but at the rate we are currently adding it, even if the increases stopped, we would add this much again over the next few decades.

And it makes no difference to you at all that it is physically impossible for the amount of AGW CO2 to "drop ocean pH 30%" as you allege

I see.

340 billion tons.

Hmm

Indeed it is, but at the rate we are currently adding it, even if the increases stopped, we would add this much again over the next few decades.

And it makes no difference to you at all that it is physically impossible for the amount of AGW CO2 to "drop ocean pH 30%" as you allege

Actually Frank -- given the trick of counting H ion increase -- 30% is miniscule. When Ian did his example, it's like going from 6 to 8 H+ in basic ocean when when pH neutral is over 1000 H+ counts.. The magic is that "neutral" has been moved to the far reaches of the magnitude galaxy by smoke and mirrors.

If I remember my pool duties as a lifeguard/poolboy -- 1/2 gallon of muriatic acid in a 60,000 gallon pool will cause about 0.1 pH change. And THAT'S starting at pH counts of 7.5 or so -- NOT 8.2.. (in a well buffered outdoor pool).

So it takes very little to get that impressive "30%" number in an ocean that's actually quite "Basic" to start from.

It's math masturbation at it's finest. OA IS a concern. Particularly because ocean warming increases CO2 uptake. But the reports I'm reading show that we don't even have accurate surveys of the NATURAL pH variations in the bio-systems that the alarmists are claiming are affected today.

We SHOULD continue to quantify and study. But without the hysteria and fractured mathematics.

I see.

340 billion tons.

Hmm

Again, it seems more due to the level of your reading abilities than to anything I have purportedly alleged. Please link to any post where I have stated what you above quote me as stating.

There is a big difference between stating that we have increased the acidification by 30%, and saying that we have dropped the ocean pH by 30%.

The Story of the Multiflora Rose:

In 1947, the Missouri Conservation Commission, in response to the abandonment of barbed wire fencing after the sale of farmland to commercial and residential developement, declared that they would offer multiflora rose plants as a living self-mending fence replacement and distributed the seedlings free of charge to any farmer that would remove his barbed wire or weld wire fencing.

Over 10,000,000 seedlings were distributed annually.

The law of unintended consequences revealed itself with a vengeance.

It turns out that birds love to eat the seeds of multifloral roses, but of course cannot digest them...so everywhere a bird shits, a multifloral rose springs up.

Invasive. Native to Japan. During the last century, federal and many state conservation agencies [Especially Missouri] promoted the planting of multiflora rose in an effort to control erosion and provide cover and winter food for wildlife. Those hopeful ideas waned when the plant began to spread and became a serious invader of agricultural lands, pastures and native ecosystems throughout the eastern United States. Now, it is considered an invasive plant; in 1983, the state of Missouri declared it a noxious weed.

Multiflora Rose | Missouri Department of Conservation

So it's not true! A rose by any other name doesn't smell the same.

What did we know, already, but here it is, again?

AGW Observer

BG - Abstract - Impact of rapid sea-ice reduction in the Arctic Ocean on the rate of ocean acidification

Abstract. The largest pH decline and widespread undersaturation with respect to aragonite in this century due to uptake of anthropogenic carbon dioxide in the Arctic Ocean have been projected. The reductions in pH and aragonite saturation state in the Arctic Ocean have been caused by the melting of sea ice as well as by an increase in the concentration of atmospheric carbon dioxide.

Therefore, future projections of pH and aragonite saturation in the Arctic Ocean will be affected by how rapidly the reduction in sea ice occurs. The observed recent Arctic sea-ice loss has been more rapid than projected by many of the climate models that contributed to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Fourth Assessment Report. In this study, the impact of sea-ice reduction rate on projected pH and aragonite saturation state in the Arctic surface waters was investigated. Reductions in pH and aragonite saturation were calculated from the outputs of two versions of an Earth system model with different sea-ice reduction rates under similar CO2 emission scenarios.

The newer model version projects that Arctic summer ice-free condition will be achieved by the year 2040, and the older version predicts ice-free condition by 2090. The Arctic surface water was projected to be undersaturated with respect to aragonite in the annual mean when atmospheric CO2 concentration reaches 513 (606) ppm in year 2046 (2056) in new (old) version. At an atmospheric CO2 concentration of 520 ppm, the maximum differences in pH and aragonite saturation state between the two versions were 0.1 and 0.21 respectively.

The analysis showed that the decreases in pH and aragonite saturation state due to rapid sea-ice reduction were caused by increases in both CO2 uptake and freshwater input. Thus, the reductions in pH and aragonite saturation state in the Arctic surface waters are significantly affected by the difference in future projections for sea-ice reduction rate. Our results suggest that the future reductions in pH and aragonite saturation state could be significantly faster than previously projected if the sea-ice reduction in the Arctic Ocean keeps its present pace.

http://www.biogeosciences.net/9/2365/2012/bg-9-2365-2012.pdf

Again, it seems more due to the level of your reading abilities than to anything I have purportedly alleged. Please link to any post where I have stated what you above quote me as stating.

There is a big difference between stating that we have increased the acidification by 30%, and saying that we have dropped the ocean pH by 30%.

So NASA, IPCC, Old Rocks and NOAA are lying about ocean "Acidification"?

Because that's their term, not mine

Yes, I misunderstood. I have that problem a lot with AGW.

Apparently.

in 2011, humanity added 37.5 billion tons of new carbon to the atmosphere. Over the last 150 years we have added ~340 billion tons of new carbon to our planet's atmosphere.

How is it dropping the pH to cause a 30% increase in oceanic acidity (as if there really was such a thing as "Average" ocean pH)

pH = - log10[aH+]

fractional change in a = (10^0.1) - 1 = 1.259 - 1 = 0.259 rounded to one sigfig (significant figure) = 0.3 = 30% increase in acidification of ocean waters.

I see.

340 billion tons.

Hmm

This is actually an interesting part of the warmer litany here.. The theory is that ocean only absorbs 6 to 8 billions of man-made CO2 per year. THAT is the presumed cause of OA. The rest of man-made contributions either reside in the atmos. and a small fraction is absorbed by net terrestrial sinks.

So any calculations of OA attributed to man is based on the smaller number of 6 to 8 billionTons (of CO2 NOT carbon -- an important distinction that Trakar is not rigorous about). This is a tiny fraction of the 360 billion tons that is recycled from terrestrial and ocean SOURCES. The ocean alone is recycling about 140 billion tons/yr.

About 5% of the total ocean CO2 cycle is attributed to man-made CO2. Not termite-made CO2 mind you. (The ocean prefers to eat our CO2 for some dam reason that only the IPCC can explain -- otherwise we'd be doing yearly census on termite populations)

And our ability to measure that small number accurately to within a few percent determines the validity of the theory.

Also gives you an idea of what damage we might do if we DID try to attempt to increase the ocean sink by seeding it. Would be far safer to just plant trees and get a net 10% increase in terrestrial CO2 sinking..

Last edited:

Again, reading comprehension seems to be interferring with your ability to understand both the issue of discussion and the statements being made. And acidification isn't "their term," it is simply the appropriate science term the process.

Any gamers?

Plants vs. Zombies took off. Any idea what would happen, to Scientists vs. Idiots? How about Spherists vs. Flat-heads? Infectious HIV vs. bath-house gangstas? Darwins vs. Creationists?

I bet there'd be a lot of interest, in some new vid-games!

A team of German researchers believe stimulating the growth of algae in our oceans may offer a viable method of removing excess carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

Indeed, despite alternative studies suggesting the above-mentioned approach is ineffective, a recent analysis of an ocean-fertilization experiment conducted 8 years ago in the Southern Ocean indicates that encouraging algae blooms to grow can soak up carbon - which is then deposited in the deep ocean as the algae dies.

Way back in February 2004, researchers involved in the European Iron Fertilization Experiment (EIFEX) fertilized 167 square kilometers of the Southern Ocean with several tons of iron sulphate. For 37 days, the team on board the German research vessel Polarstern monitored the bloom and demise of single-cell algae (phytoplankton) in the iron-limited but otherwise nutrient-rich ocean region.

Interestingly enough, each atom of added iron pulled at least 13,000 atoms of carbon out of the atmosphere by encouraging algal growth which, through photosynthesis, captures carbon. As noted above, much of the captured carbon was transported to the deep ocean, where it will remain sequestered for centuries - essentially acting as a "carbon sink."

"At least half of the bloom was exported to depths greater than 1,000 metres," explains Victor Smetacek, a marine biologist at the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research in Bremerhaven, Germany, who led the study.

The team used a turbidity meter - a device that measures the degree to which water becomes less transparent owing to the presence of suspended particles - to establish the amount of biomass, such as dead algae, that rained down the water column towards the sea floor. Samples collected outside the experimental area showed substantially less carbon being deposited in the deep ocean

Well, old rocks should we cover the entire ocean with this?

Algal blooms have their own problems. Of course, if the wacko right has its way, eventually we'll be forced to make a choice like this.

A team of German researchers believe stimulating the growth of algae in our oceans may offer a viable method of removing excess carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

Indeed, despite alternative studies suggesting the above-mentioned approach is ineffective, a recent analysis of an ocean-fertilization experiment conducted 8 years ago in the Southern Ocean indicates that encouraging algae blooms to grow can soak up carbon - which is then deposited in the deep ocean as the algae dies.

Way back in February 2004, researchers involved in the European Iron Fertilization Experiment (EIFEX) fertilized 167 square kilometers of the Southern Ocean with several tons of iron sulphate. For 37 days, the team on board the German research vessel Polarstern monitored the bloom and demise of single-cell algae (phytoplankton) in the iron-limited but otherwise nutrient-rich ocean region.

Interestingly enough, each atom of added iron pulled at least 13,000 atoms of carbon out of the atmosphere by encouraging algal growth which, through photosynthesis, captures carbon. As noted above, much of the captured carbon was transported to the deep ocean, where it will remain sequestered for centuries - essentially acting as a "carbon sink."

"At least half of the bloom was exported to depths greater than 1,000 metres," explains Victor Smetacek, a marine biologist at the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research in Bremerhaven, Germany, who led the study.

The team used a turbidity meter - a device that measures the degree to which water becomes less transparent owing to the presence of suspended particles - to establish the amount of biomass, such as dead algae, that rained down the water column towards the sea floor. Samples collected outside the experimental area showed substantially less carbon being deposited in the deep ocean

How much carbon would be emitted (using surrent technologies and resources) in the recovery, refinement, transportation and distribution of the Iron required to sustantively impact atmospheric Carbon concentrations?

If we use scrap metal probably very little.

How much carbon would be emitted (using surrent technologies and resources) in the recovery, refinement, transportation and distribution of the Iron required to sustantively impact atmospheric Carbon concentrations?

If we use scrap metal probably very little.

Well, let's explore this a little bit then, how much iron are we talking about on an annual basis? and how long will we have to add this amount in order to effectively deal with the issue?

Apparently.

pH = - log10[aH+]

I see.

340 billion tons.

Hmm

This is actually an interesting part of the warmer litany here.. The theory is that ocean only absorbs 6 to 8 billions of man-made CO2 per year. THAT is the presumed cause of OA. The rest of man-made contributions either reside in the atmos. and a small fraction is absorbed by net terrestrial sinks.

So any calculations of OA attributed to man is based on the smaller number of 6 to 8 billionTons (of CO2 NOT carbon -- an important distinction that Trakar is not rigorous about). This is a tiny fraction of the 360 billion tons that is recycled from terrestrial and ocean SOURCES. The ocean alone is recycling about 140 billion tons/yr.

About 5% of the total ocean CO2 cycle is attributed to man-made CO2. Not termite-made CO2 mind you. (The ocean prefers to eat our CO2 for some dam reason that only the IPCC can explain -- otherwise we'd be doing yearly census on termite populations)

And our ability to measure that small number accurately to within a few percent determines the validity of the theory.

Also gives you an idea of what damage we might do if we DID try to attempt to increase the ocean sink by seeding it. Would be far safer to just plant trees and get a net 10% increase in terrestrial CO2 sinking..

Termites eat wood. Wood is renewable. My home gets eaten by termites, I need a new home, which means more trees have to be grown to make the wood for my home - taking the CO2 out of the air that the termites put in.

/\ /\ . . . which is exactly why I keep harping, on why we immediately need legal hemp, as a variable resource, since it not only yields ethanol and methanol fuels, you have to use the seed oil, as FOOD, freeing up other vegetable oils, for use as bio-fuel media.

It turns out, hemp seed oil has a better EFA layout, than does any other food oil, fish, flax, krill, etc.

When you add up about 25,000 possible products, some of those turn out to be market-leading, perennial media, such as a calcified hemp hurd bridge, in France. Use THIS light, strong material, to make termite-resistant homes, with any indestructible hemp plastic you need, per old Ford patents.

When the droughts and floods weaken our forests, we will be mighty sorry, if the popos keep riding around, in publically funded autos, to jump out and beat or shoot civilians, for some stupid reason, since pigs and their drug war directly increase the human carbon footprint, while deflecting and lying, to prevent us, from having any part, of a hemp-based economy.

It takes a lot of deflection and lies, but hey, when you have predatory, wasteful LAWYERS and COPS and IDIOTS running around, into everything, no way does anything sensible ever get done. But substantive and procedural rights get eaten right up, like a load of termites somehow got into everything. Such termite-like humanoids have swing value, to decrease our resources, including CO2 metabolism, while increasing carbon footprint.

Hey, swing things, better! If somebody doesn't intercept and run for a TD, soon, we lose all chance, at preventing tipping point debacles, imminent.

Take a pot shot, at what needs to happen, already.

Onion Head.....Iron Dumped In Ocean Might Slow Global Warming | The Onion - America's Finest News Source | American Voices

Again, reading comprehension seems to be interferring with your ability to understand both the issue of discussion and the statements being made. And acidification isn't "their term," it is simply the appropriate science term the process.

Help me out here

NASA - Climate Change Seeps into the Sea

"All that extra carbon dioxide, however, has been a bitter pill for the ocean to swallow. It's changing the chemistry of seawater, making it more acidic and otherwise inhospitable, threatening many important marine organisms."

I highlighted it in bold.

What's that word?

Onion Head.....Iron Dumped In Ocean Might Slow Global Warming | The Onion - America's Finest News Source | American Voices

The Onion?

:lol:
:lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol: