See we told you.. Mcdonalds is ordering 7K touch screen to replace cashiers

In my experience if you properly train an Indian Engineers and Chinese Engineers you can get very good results from them.

Only for Cookie Cutter projects. If a new design is 99% the same as an old one, China may be able to pull it off, but greater variance will render China unable to design. A culture of rigid conformity is great on a production line, but utterly devoid of creativity and ingenuity.

You can't just assume they are well trained American Engineers, because at the start, they typically are not trained at all. Learning to be innovative is a part of the training. The difference between India and China that I found, was that the Indian Engineers are willing and able to jump ship and become your competitor at a moments notice and will do so right about the time they become productive. In contrast the Chinese Engineers are locked in and won't move for anything or any reason. I find this difference to be based on culture.

India has a more flexible society, but China has zero innovation.

In my experience if you properly train an Indian Engineers and Chinese Engineers you can get very good results from them.

Only for Cookie Cutter projects. If a new design is 99% the same as an old one, China may be able to pull it off, but greater variance will render China unable to design. A culture of rigid conformity is great on a production line, but utterly devoid of creativity and ingenuity.

You can't just assume they are well trained American Engineers, because at the start, they typically are not trained at all. Learning to be innovative is a part of the training. The difference between India and China that I found, was that the Indian Engineers are willing and able to jump ship and become your competitor at a moments notice and will do so right about the time they become productive. In contrast the Chinese Engineers are locked in and won't move for anything or any reason. I find this difference to be based on culture.

India has a more flexible society, but China has zero innovation.

Is there some link to Indian innovation?
Their physicians are mighty fine but their software developers are dolts.

Most Chinese won't stab you in the back.

You are conflating contract work for one off projects with long term employees. Most companies will take their best and move them to the next project rather than let them go only to start over with new engineers each project. While Boeing hires some contractors, I work with many of their Engineers that have been there for decades. I put Boeing in the good company to work for category. Most companies that do US government contracts try to do so with a lot of US employees. I put IBM and Microsoft in the bad companies to work for category.

Boeing lets about 50% of their Engineering staff go at the end of every contract, which is a real pain. We work with a group and develop a relationship, and Boeing fires them all in a few years. Granted, they rehire many of the same people the next time a project comes along. But the game of layoffs is a constant among the big primes. It has nothing to do with contract employees. This is true of Raytheon, ATK, Aerojet, etc. And it's nothing new. I've been in this business for 35 years, and it's been a constant. I know enough big hitters to know that it went on long before I was around - at least back to the 50's.

Ame®icano;8299412 said:
You're forgetting that government use IBM simply because they're the best in what they do. How many things done by IBM have failed? But, no, they hire some wannabees to design and service ACA website...

By the way, IBM has some 650 customers worldwide...

It's hard for me to put a finger on what it is that IBM is good at.... Outdated hardware and paradigms from the 60's have a place in government, but not many other places.

OTOH, I would say Government is more reliant on IBM than big blue is on government. IBM can always build blade servers and try to compete with HP and Dell - government is tied to 1960's mainframes, RPG and DB2.

Ame®icano;8299412 said:
You're forgetting that government use IBM simply because they're the best in what they do. How many things done by IBM have failed? But, no, they hire some wannabees to design and service ACA website...

By the way, IBM has some 650 customers worldwide...

It's hard for me to put a finger on what it is that IBM is good at.... Outdated hardware and paradigms from the 60's have a place in government, but not many other places.

OTOH, I would say Government is more reliant on IBM than big blue is on government. IBM can always build blade servers and try to compete with HP and Dell - government is tied to 1960's mainframes, RPG and DB2.

Yep.

IBM's customer base is large due to legacy and the need for speed.
Nothing can match the speed of a mainframe.
For instance, Citibank needs to process and print 20+ million Customer Statements every month.

The ACA was "developed" by the Private Sector with US Tax money.
The lion's share went to the MBAs who then hired the "Best and Brightest" to actually make it work; this "failure" occurs in private firms all the time because the cost of the "Best and Brightest" is irresistibly low despite their incredibly high failure rate.

IBM developers USED to be pretty good.
Now they just are plain incompetent.

Doesn't CitiBank use massive farms of blade servers running Suse and Oracle?

{In his 21 months at Citibank, Mr. Horowitz has shaken up the technical culture of a bank that had long prided itself on building its own technology. Before he was hired, the bank said publicly that it was avoiding the Internet because of concerns about security. Internally, though, Citibank was working on two Internet projects only tangentially related to banking -- developing its own Web browser software, to compete with Netscape, and its own Internet search capability, to compete with Yahoo.}

TECHNOLOGY; Citibank Sets New On-Line Bank System - New York Times

IBM's customer base is large due to legacy and the need for speed.
Nothing can match the speed of a mainframe.
For instance, Citibank needs to process and print 20+ million Customer Statements every month.

The ACA was "developed" by the Private Sector with US Tax money.
The lion's share went to the MBAs who then hired the "Best and Brightest" to actually make it work; this "failure" occurs in private firms all the time because the cost of the "Best and Brightest" is irresistibly low despite their incredibly high failure rate.

IBM developers USED to be pretty good.
Now they just are plain incompetent.

Doesn't CitiBank use massive farms of blade servers running Suse and Oracle?

{In his 21 months at Citibank, Mr. Horowitz has shaken up the technical culture of a bank that had long prided itself on building its own technology. Before he was hired, the bank said publicly that it was avoiding the Internet because of concerns about security. Internally, though, Citibank was working on two Internet projects only tangentially related to banking -- developing its own Web browser software, to compete with Netscape, and its own Internet search capability, to compete with Yahoo.}

TECHNOLOGY; Citibank Sets New On-Line Bank System - New York Times

I work with someone who is friends with someone in upper management at Citibank ; he may be able to answer that.
I know one guy in my neighborhood who is a Visual C# programmer at Citibank but never discusses what he's working on.

I work with someone who is friends with someone in upper management at Citibank ; he may be able to answer that.
I know one guy in my neighborhood who is a Visual C# programmer at Citibank but never discusses what he's working on.

I think the Times article I linked already answered that.

BTW, C# is a .Net language and won't run on the old mainframe hardware. Citi went Linux on X86 hardware a long while back.

I think the Times article I linked already answered that.

BTW, C# is a .Net language and won't run on the old mainframe hardware. Citi went Linux on X86 hardware a long while back.

The issue with C# is the same issue Citibank has had for years...a ton of their projects go YEARS beyond budget or fail altogether.
It took them nearly 10 years and over 300 million bucks to display a checking account on their web-site.
Last year it their over six App to work 95% of the time scanning a check.

The issue with C# is the same issue Citibank has had for years...a ton of their projects go YEARS beyond budget or fail altogether.
It took them nearly 10 years and over 300 million bucks to display a checking account on their web-site.
Last year it their over six App to work 95% of the time scanning a check.

I think that's why they opted to scrap the middle ware and go with a straight web based system.

[

YOu wanna walk out on your job for more money. Guess what you now might lose your jobs all because of UNIONS who are greedy..[/quote]
And what do you suppose might be the outcome of such robotization?

Jobs will be lost.

Corporate profit will rise.

Government will increase benefits to the unemployed.

Corporate taxes must be increased to compensate.

Do you know of a likely alternative?[/QUOTE]

How many jobs were lost due to automobiles, washing machines, telephones, vacuum cleaners and the invention of the printing press?

Do you propose that we eschew all automation and go back to living in caves?

The automobile industry displaced millions of jobs, did these simply vanish? Not hardly, they created many new ones:

1. Gas Stations
2. Oil Business
3. Auto Repair
4. Mining
5. Refineries
6. Industrial Designers
7. Computer Firms
8. Radio and telecommunications
9. Rubber Plantations
10. Engineers
11. Accountants
12. Sales People

and on and on and on

Jack in the Box implemented this same touch screen kiosk years ago.

They even had a deal where you got free tacos with every meal purchase from the kiosk instead of the cash register.

What happened is lines started stacking up too much at lunch time and people ended up just using the drive thru but then there were too many people at the drive thru at lunch so they just ended up getting rid of it, also cashiers are quicker, know the SECRET menu, and also provide more options.

They even had a deal where you got free tacos with every meal purchase from the kiosk instead of the cash register.

What happened is lines started stacking up too much at lunch time and people ended up just using the drive thru but then there were too many people at the drive thru at lunch so they just ended up getting rid of it, also cashiers are quicker, know the SECRET menu, and also provide more options.

All this means is they didn't implement the model correctly.

I went to a college campus recently and all the orders were done by touch screens or mobile phones. It worked perfectly.

The kiosk model is antiquated. Nowadays you can set up 25 Ipads and handle all the traffic you need.

Technology is great if used for all the right reasons, but to use it for greed is a bad idea that will usually backfire. How corporate idiots don't understand this (when they know better) I'll never know anymore. I agree with your post.

All this means is they didn't implement the model correctly.

I went to a college campus recently, and all the orders were done by touch screens or mobile phones. It worked perfectly.

The kiosk model is antiquated. Nowadays you can set up 25 Ipads and handle all the traffic you need.

You still didn't address his points about the cashiers ((if properly trained)) and how they are capable also to work perfectly for the customers as well. Is it about necessity that changes are being made or looked at (or) is it all about cutting and cutting to get more and more for just a few in the spirit of greed gone wild ?

Think about this for a moment, if companies were to begin paying fair wages once again, and to do this with what should be their individualized structuralized pay scale systems once again (none are the same and should never be), then Wal-Mart would begin shaking in it's boots. WHY you might ask is this ? It's because if you begin lifting up people individually again, and this being based upon their individual talents and etc. then Wal-Mart and the McD's of the world may see this as a huge threat to their bottom lines. Why would this be you might ask ? It's because people would have more choices to shop at other locations due to their individual successes in life, in which are successes that is gained individually at their separate and individual jobs worked at their supposed to be individual companies. Even if their new shopping locations may charge just a little more for their products, they will be able to make a more informed choices as based once again upon their individual successes found at their individual companies, while in their individual careers.

You see, there is an incentive for these corporations to create or maintain head counts by having corporate-unionism in management and in CEO's, that will ensure that they will have the customers controlled as cattle in conjunction with government, in so that they can only shop with them at these huge set up corporations for their cheapened Chinese made goods, and at the cheap prices that accompany such goods. Why is this ? It's because they can't afford to shop anywhere else, and that these days is totally by design.

Now just think about that for a moment, where as how much influence do these corporations have on our government now, and who are they working with or in conjunction with now, and this in order to hold large populations at a certain level for their successes that they are having or have had ? How has government helped them, just so they can guarantee that they stay alive in a monopolized system in which they have jointly created together now with our government ? It is one (a system) that they run good guy/bad guy on us all the time now, so America wake up already.

American individual freedom these days, and pursuit of the individual American dream ????? Yeah RIGHT!

Last edited:
I have come to avoid McDonald's owning to several experiences with counter staff who have difficulty understanding simple directions like "no fries" and fail to make correct change even with computer assist.

It has become plain that McDonald's candidates must first take an intelligence test - and fail in epic fashion - as a condition of employment.

They BEG to be replaced by automatons.

Forum List

Back