Security Clearance for Schools?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zoom-boing, May 12, 2010.

1. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,120
    My youngest (7th grade) has a field trip next week to a creek to study little thingies living in said creek. I don't know, it's a science field trip. I volunteered to chaperone the trip because she wants me to and because they are short 8 parent chaperones. The teacher got back to me yesterday . . . apparently now you need two security clearances to volunteer for anything at the school. Even if you are a parent. I need a criminal background check (ten bucks) and a child abuse background check.

I'm her mom! Is this normal for most schools now? wtf? I get doing this for people who are not related to the student but . . . wow, I was shocked. However, if you are a guest speaker or go to read to the kids in the classroom you do not need these clearances. I read that on the school's H.R. website. wtf?? A parent needs clearance but not these two?

Her teacher just called me and said that since they were so short on chaperones the teachers talked to the principal and they will scan my driver's license and run it through their school-check program (that they use for visitors) and that will be ok for this field trip.

If I decide to do the two background checks, does yelling count as child abuse? lol

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    We live in an insane world where paranoids seek the illusion of security. Don't try to understand it.

3. JenyEliza

JenyEliza Princess of Rhetoric

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353
    I am a Catholic and every year I teach Catechism, before the school year starts I have to go through a FULL security clearance and background check BEFORE my Parish will assign me to a classroom to teach children about our Faith.

Unfortunately for us, the bad apples have made it almost impossible and downright distasteful to volunteer our time and talent to help our young people. Sad state of affairs, but these are the times we live in now.

:(

4. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,120
    I haven't chaperoned a field trip in three years, so this is new to me. Cripes, it certainly is a sad, sad thing that this is what this world has come to.

We have to bring our lunch -- we're going to be outside all day and will be eating at the park. Think I need a security clearance to bring in some homemade chocolate chip cookies for the kids?

5. JenyEliza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353
    PS. They are short EIGHT (8) parent chaperones *precisely because* of this required background check. Once our Parish moved to this, they couldn't beg, borrow or bribe parents to volunteer in the Parish School of Religion. The first year we had to do combined classrooms (ie, 1/2nd grade together, 3rd/4th grade together, etc.) due to the lack of teachers.

Eventually we persuaded enough parents/volunteers to subject themselves to this level of scruitany, but every year we do fall short a few teachers and subs. Quite sad.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  6. JenyEliza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Whatever you do, DONT bring peanut butter ANYTHING, it will end up confiscated and you will go hungry. Sorry, that is also a sign of the times. :(

7. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    I use to be a School Liaison Officer and for any person who volunteered there was a background check done however it wasn't a deep background. Basically the person fills out the form, and the information goes through the same check as a COP would enter your DL number in. If no warrants or arrest on file you'll pass the background check. That usually cost about ten bucks per person to run.

The school use to pay for it but I suppose since money is short that is why they are asking you to pay for it.

8. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,120
    Yeah I was surprised when the teacher told me how many parents they still needed. I'll probably do the security clearance. You only have to do it once and it's good (that was my understanding from the website anyway).

Now I get to spend the day with a bunch of 13 year olds. :eek: What was I thinking? lol

9. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,120
    Homemade chocolate chips are the way to get the kids to loooove you!

10. JenyEliza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353
    I'm in BIG trouble, if so. :lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1