Security Clearance for Schools?

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
My youngest (7th grade) has a field trip next week to a creek to study little thingies living in said creek. I don't know, it's a science field trip. I volunteered to chaperone the trip because she wants me to and because they are short 8 parent chaperones. The teacher got back to me yesterday . . . apparently now you need two security clearances to volunteer for anything at the school. Even if you are a parent. I need a criminal background check (ten bucks) and a child abuse background check.

I'm her mom! Is this normal for most schools now? wtf? I get doing this for people who are not related to the student but . . . wow, I was shocked. However, if you are a guest speaker or go to read to the kids in the classroom you do not need these clearances. I read that on the school's H.R. website. wtf?? A parent needs clearance but not these two?

Her teacher just called me and said that since they were so short on chaperones the teachers talked to the principal and they will scan my driver's license and run it through their school-check program (that they use for visitors) and that will be ok for this field trip.

If I decide to do the two background checks, does yelling count as child abuse? lol

My youngest (7th grade) has a field trip next week to a creek to study little thingies living in said creek. I don't know, it's a science field trip. I volunteered to chaperone the trip because she wants me to and because they are short 8 parent chaperones. The teacher got back to me yesterday . . . apparently now you need two security clearances to volunteer for anything at the school. Even if you are a parent. I need a criminal background check (ten bucks) and a child abuse background check.

I'm her mom! Is this normal for most schools now? wtf? I get doing this for people who are not related to the student but . . . wow, I was shocked. However, if you are a guest speaker or go to read to the kids in the classroom you do not need these clearances. I read that on the school's H.R. website. wtf?? A parent needs clearance but not these two?

Her teacher just called me and said that since they were so short on chaperones the teachers talked to the principal and they will scan my driver's license and run it through their school-check program (that they use for visitors) and that will be ok for this field trip.

If I decide to do the two background checks, does yelling count as child abuse? lol

We live in an insane world where paranoids seek the illusion of security. Don't try to understand it.

I am a Catholic and every year I teach Catechism, before the school year starts I have to go through a FULL security clearance and background check BEFORE my Parish will assign me to a classroom to teach children about our Faith.

Unfortunately for us, the bad apples have made it almost impossible and downright distasteful to volunteer our time and talent to help our young people. Sad state of affairs, but these are the times we live in now.

:(

I haven't chaperoned a field trip in three years, so this is new to me. Cripes, it certainly is a sad, sad thing that this is what this world has come to.

We have to bring our lunch -- we're going to be outside all day and will be eating at the park. Think I need a security clearance to bring in some homemade chocolate chip cookies for the kids?

PS. They are short EIGHT (8) parent chaperones *precisely because* of this required background check. Once our Parish moved to this, they couldn't beg, borrow or bribe parents to volunteer in the Parish School of Religion. The first year we had to do combined classrooms (ie, 1/2nd grade together, 3rd/4th grade together, etc.) due to the lack of teachers.

Eventually we persuaded enough parents/volunteers to subject themselves to this level of scruitany, but every year we do fall short a few teachers and subs. Quite sad.

Last edited:
I haven't chaperoned a field trip in three years, so this is new to me. Cripes, it certainly is a sad, sad thing that this is what this world has come to.

We have to bring our lunch -- we're going to be outside all day and will be eating at the park. Think I need a security clearance to bring in some homemade chocolate chip cookies for the kids?

Whatever you do, DONT bring peanut butter ANYTHING, it will end up confiscated and you will go hungry. Sorry, that is also a sign of the times. :(

I use to be a School Liaison Officer and for any person who volunteered there was a background check done however it wasn't a deep background. Basically the person fills out the form, and the information goes through the same check as a COP would enter your DL number in. If no warrants or arrest on file you'll pass the background check. That usually cost about ten bucks per person to run.

The school use to pay for it but I suppose since money is short that is why they are asking you to pay for it.

PS. They are short EIGHT (8) parent chaperones *precisely because* of this required background check. Once our Parished moved to this, they couldn't beg, borrow or bribe parents to volunteer in the Parish School of Religion. The first year we had to do combined classrooms (ie, 1/2nd grade together, 3rd/4th grade together, etc.) due to the lack of teachers.

Eventually we persuaded enough parents/volunteers to subject themselves to this level of scruitany, but every year we do fall short a few teachers and subs. Quite sad.

Yeah I was surprised when the teacher told me how many parents they still needed. I'll probably do the security clearance. You only have to do it once and it's good (that was my understanding from the website anyway).

Now I get to spend the day with a bunch of 13 year olds. :eek: What was I thinking? lol

Whatever you do, DONT bring peanut butter ANYTHING, it will end up confiscated and you will go hungry. Sorry, that is also a sign of the times. :(

Homemade chocolate chips are the way to get the kids to loooove you!

PS. They are short EIGHT (8) parent chaperones *precisely because* of this required background check. Once our Parished moved to this, they couldn't beg, borrow or bribe parents to volunteer in the Parish School of Religion. The first year we had to do combined classrooms (ie, 1/2nd grade together, 3rd/4th grade together, etc.) due to the lack of teachers.

Yeah I was surprised when the teacher told me how many parents they still needed. I'll probably do the security clearance. You only have to do it once and it's good (that was my understanding from the website anyway).

Now I get to spend the day with a bunch of 13 year olds. :eek: What was I thinking? lol
Been there done all that!!! Any time anyone ask to run a check on you or ask for information from you in this day in age should put your red flag up. I understand why they do this but at the same time many parents will not participate because of it. Just remember this background check is as intrusive as a cop running your license when you get pulled over. The more extensive background checks cost a lot more money. They will keep you on file at the school. You'll probably get a little certificate at the end of the school year for your participation and once you volunteer for this, oh man you'll be asked all the time from every teacher. LOL

I sat on the School Board as one of the judges for Teacher of the Year. Talk about teachers trying to suck up to me. One actually got me on her field trip only to ask if I would submit her name in for next years Teacher of the Year.

They will keep you on file at the school. You'll probably get a little certificate at the end of the school year for your participation and once you volunteer for this, oh man you'll be asked all the time from every teacher. LOL

Yep. Even teachers who weren't MY twins teachers would call and ask me to chaperone. That little security check and Certificate of Appreciation is magic for them. ;)

Terry said:
I sat on the School Board as one of the judges for Teacher of the Year. Talk about teachers trying to suck up to me. One actually got me on her field trip only to ask if I would submit her name in for next years Teacher of the Year.

LOL. Wow! Talk about Chutzpah! :eusa_doh:

You should have gotten Parent of the Year. :lol:

Been there done all that!!! Any time anyone ask to run a check on you or ask for information from you in this day in age should put your red flag up. I understand why they do this but at the same time many parents will not participate because of it. Just remember this background check is as intrusive as a cop running your license when you get pulled over. The more extensive background checks cost a lot more money. They will keep you on file at the school. You'll probably get a little certificate at the end of the school year for your participation and once you volunteer for this, oh man you'll be asked all the time from every teacher. LOL

I emailed the teacher about 2 weeks ago saying I could chaperone but didn't know what clearances I needed. If she had gotten back to me earlier I probably would have just done the two background checks. Hey, then would be cleared to work at the school if something opened up. Oh wait, no they want a third check to work there. I used to go into school for parties and stuff all the time when they were younger with just a 'hi' and a signature on the sign in sheet. Cripes, times have changed.

Yes it is normal. My kids schools also require it. Prevents the school from being sued if you turn out to be a molester.

They will keep you on file at the school. You'll probably get a little certificate at the end of the school year for your participation and once you volunteer for this, oh man you'll be asked all the time from every teacher. LOL

Yep. Even teachers who weren't MY twins teachers would call and ask me to chaperone. That little security check and Certificate of Appreciation is magic for them. ;)

Terry said:

LOL. Wow! Talk about Chutzpah! :eusa_doh:

You should have gotten Parent of the Year. :lol:
nah this was in Germany. General Jumper demanded that all base installation commanders get involved in the schools. Parents were frustrated and wanted someone to be on their side to answer questions or help them with issues. Therefore they had to start this program. I started up my office and man that career has moved on over here to the USA. It was fun while it lasted but I hated to submit my semi-annual reports to Gen. Jumper.

I did some good work. I wasn't a talking head for the school even though they sure tried to get me to be their cheerleader. I worked only for the Commander and he always wanted the straight answer. That I gave.

I had two sensitive issues that parents were very upset over in what the school did to their child. I have to honestly say that I did a great job at sorting it all out to the satisfaction of the Parents, School, Commander, and Teacher.

I kind of miss it but since I got in at the ground level I was lucky because I was able to set my own hours, and basically do what the heck I thought was right while having the Commander with me. Sweet Job!

I volunteered because parents at the beginning were not helping out. No chaperon no field trips and I didn't want the kids to suffer so I helped out.

I had to implement best practices which a few are still in use today.

I'll tell you one thing I did was that I was able to utilize the Red Cross for Volunteers at the school. Every town has a Red Cross Chapter and many volunteers. When nothing is going on they have the resources therefore I went and spoke to them and they were more then happy to help at the school. It started a partnership that everyone from the students, school, parents, and community won out.

Why the heck has nobody tried this stateside?

Oh, and bake sales? No homemade foods allowed, only store bought.

This is dumb . . . like someone couldn't doctor a store bought item?
Yes, it is stupid. So is doing away with lockers, IMO. All this is done in the name of fear and probably none of it actually does any good.

They're doing away with lockers at your schools? Where at the kids suppose to put their stuff??

Forum List

Back