Seattle bans plastic straws based on FALSE NEWS stories...Way to go people rational thought GONE!

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
Seattle bans plastic straws, utensils, becoming first major US city to do so
The National Park Service estimates 500 million straws are used by Americans each day.
Seattle bans plastic straws, utensils, becoming first major US city to do so

Where did the National Park Service get this estimate?
This is from the National Park Service web site:
Americans use 500 million drinking straws every day.
The Be Straw Free Campaign (U.S. National Park Service)
NO mention of their source.

FACT:
15 Times Major Media Outlets Used a Statistic about Plastic Straws Based on Research by a 9-Year-Old A number's popularity does not prove its accuracy.
This statement "500 million straws per day consumed by Americans"... which when sourced came from a 9 year old kid that called straw manufacturers in 2011 regarding how many straws were MADE... NOT consumed!

15 Times Major Media Outlets Used a Statistic about Plastic Straws Based on Research by a 9-Year-Old

Then upon further source validation you find the largest straw manufacturer of the 13 US manufacture produces 22 million straws a day. The largest produces 22 million a day... Produces!
Here is the annual production of D&W also holds the title as the largest drinking straw manufacturer in North America, says Clay Davis, senior vice president.
The company churns out 22 million straws a day – roughly 3,000 cases – in the Fountain Inn plant alone, distributing throughout the U.S. and Canada. D&W Fine Pack’s customers include food powerhouses such as Sysco, U.S. Foods and many national chain restaurants as well as school systems across the country
Inside D&W Fine Pack - Upstate Business Journal

So multiple 22 million straws per day times 13 manufacturers equals ONLY 286 million per day MANUFACTURED
....NOT CONSUMED!
A FAR smaller number than 500 million and remember the MSM and Seattle said CONSUMED!
Makes no sense.

What is wrong with people like Seattle officials that DON"T question these numbers?

Now whether it is good or bad to ban straws is NOT the point! People, Media like the 15 major media and officials should be a little more common sense when spouting off numbers.
Even at 286 million that is ONE straw for every baby, teenager, adult and senior citizen in America... nowhere near the 500 million per day CONSUMED! Remember it is a manufactured 286 million straws... and not 500 million!
WRONG to use the wrong assumptions and then base LAW on it!

A nine year old can do research too. Even allowing for if the figure is incorrect the point is do we want the oceans of the world polluted by plastic straws?

turtle1.jpg

A nine year old can do research too. Even allowing for if the figure is incorrect the point is do we want the oceans of the world polluted by plastic straws?

turtle1.jpg

YOU MISSED the point entirely! The 9 year old kid said 500 million CONSUMED!
The facts from 13 factories that make plastic straws are 286 million MADE....NOT consumed!!!!
And this crap about plastic straws, etc. polluting the oceans?

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch, a collection of plastic, floating trash halfway between Hawaii and California, has grown to more than 600,000 square miles, a study published Thursday found. That's twice the size of Texas.
World's largest collection of ocean garbage is twice the size of Texas

Wow.. what an area....

hmmm... The oceans cover 141,600,000 square miles, or 72% of the earth's surface.
http://www.reefnews.com/reefnews/infopage/oceans/ocean.html

I'm going to shout now because you people just have NO ability to understand simple common sense.

The entire "garbage patch" area represents 0.424% of the 141,600,000 square miles of OCEAN!

turtle1.jpg

The facts from 13 factories that make plastic straws are 286 million MADE....NOT consumed!!!!

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch, a collection of plastic, floating trash halfway between Hawaii and California, has grown to more than 600,000 square miles, a study published Thursday found. That's twice the size of Texas.

Wow.. what an area....

hmmm... The oceans cover 141,600,000 square miles, or 72% of the earth's surface.

I'm going to shout now because you people just have NO ability to understand simple common sense.

The entire "garbage patch" area represents 0.424% of the 141,600,000 square miles of OCEAN!
I think you missed the point that its the largest patch....not the only patch.

turtle1.jpg

Wow.. what an area....

OK for sake of size... let's say all 5 patches 5 times 600,000 is 3 million sq. miles or just 2% of the oceans... again assuming ALL PATCHES are 600,000 sq. miles.
Guess how many giant patches of garbage there are in the ocean now?

You are missing the point! We get all bent out of shape over these news stories NEVER thinking to ask... OK how big of a problem is it?

Now I'm like you ... I find this disgusting. But to pass laws based on FALSE data.... come on that's just juvenile.

turtle1.jpg

Wow.. what an area....

OK for sake of size... let's say all 5 patches 5 times 600,000 is 3 million sq. miles or just 2% of the oceans... again assuming ALL PATCHES are 600,000 sq. miles.

You are missing the point! We get all bent out of shape over these news stories NEVER thinking to ask... OK how big of a problem is it?

Now I'm like you ... I find this disgusting. But to pass laws based on FALSE data.... come on that's just juvenile.
You think polluting the oceans with plastic is not a big problem?

You do realize sea animals swallow this crap right? So the stuff you can see is a small subset of whats actually out there.

turtle1.jpg

Wow.. what an area....

You think polluting the oceans with plastic is not a big problem?

You do realize sea animals swallow this crap right? So the stuff you can see is a small subset of whats actually out there.

Prove it! How many sea animals swallow this crap? Do you have statistic on it because erroneous statistics was the last straw story!
Tell me how many sea turtles have died because of "swallowing this crap"? Where are YOUR facts? Emotional responses are what causes these stupid ass laws!
Emotional not logical. Prove to me with the numbers!

Now here at first blush read something you'd agree with!
Over 100 million marine animals are killed each year due to plastic debris in the ocean
» Information About Sea Turtles: Threats from Marine Debris

Where did they get that number? There was no linkage to a study.

Plastic debris killing more than 1,000 turtles every year, study claims

We found, based on beach strandings, that more than 1,000 turtles are dying a year after becoming tangled up, but this is almost certainly a gross underestimate.
Plastic debris 'killing more than 1,000 turtles every year'

OK How many sea turtles are there?

More than 12.6 Million Sea Turtles Take to Sea

More than 12.6 Million Sea Turtles Take to Sea

So if 1,000 are killed by debris out of 12,600,000 that's 0.00794%! Yup and you all are so emotional wrapped over those 1,000 deaths
but let 881 babies per DAY... be ripped out of their womb their lives scrapped out.... ohummm....

turtle1.jpg

Because it's really hard for fish to hold drink glasses.

Forum List

Back