Science Is/As A Religion

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by PoliticalChic, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,236
    In other words, the only opinion data that matters to you is your opinion.

I will take your advice and quit while I am behind because you are obviously incapable of admitting that you are insisting that you are the only authority in this matter, and only see the data that supports your position.

Congratulations, you have won the internet.

2. SmarterThanHick

SmarterThanHick Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +240
    No. And "opinion data" is a made up term.

No, I am not the only authority on this matter. However, the bullshit you have provided does not have relevant credibility. In this thread, the things you have used to support the ridiculous things you've been saying have included:

• Wikipedia, which directly proved you wrong
    • The laughable idea that scientists believe there was nothing left to discover in the world, with no support whatsoever
    • The God particle in response to an experiment designed to identify how god interacts with the world, because you didn't understand what it was or even read your own source
    • The wrong idea that scientology does not address good and evil, when it is highlighted in the source that you provided.
    • The unsupported idea that some people treat evolution like a religion.
    • "beats the fuck out of me"

If you're going to take my advice to quit while you're ahead, just duck out of the thread. Throwing up one last immature ad hominem attack because you are completely incapable of supporting the things you say, and have run out of sources to share that directly contradict your own points, only allows me to retort with all the dumb things you've done in this thread. Seriously, quit while you're behind.

3. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,236
    I like offending people. If me sticking around the thread offends you, upsets you, or just aggravates you, I actually feel better.

How about you?

4. SmarterThanHick

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Well no not really. I stick around because listening to ignorant, prejudiced, or unsupported remarks and then exposing them as such amuses me.

5. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    I am no fan of Scientology. I find their assault on Psychiatry to be an offensive insult to the collective intelligence of the world.

That being said, like all religions they have their own set of mythos to explain the crucial questions. To include good and bad (Xenu).

If there was a starter kit for a religion, it would have instructions on addressing all the questions that STH referenced. People are attracted to religion because it answers those questions.

I am not knocking religion (other than scientology which I don't consider to be an actual religion), I am just pointing out that the fear of the unknown is what drives people to adhere to adopt a "faith" that their beliefs are right.

6. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,304
    The ironic part of fear of the unknown and it's symbiotic relationship with faith, to me, is that there is much evidence and REAL hope that if we really pursued science with vigor we could all live at least a couple of hundred years. That would eliminate or at least diminish the urgency of latching on to what I consider the fraud of placing ones bet on religion.

Science will eventually lead to the possibility of cloning for body parts if not for all vital organs or complete body replacements. This is the biggest no-no for religions and the one thing they fear the most. When we can truly choose between our own destiny or one only offered as a theory hidden in faith and mysticism religion will have to prove it's worth or dry up as a very stupid choice.

Faith is the sugar pill. Cloning will be the cure.

7. Marc39

Marc39 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Einstein believed in God.

What are your scientific credentials, genius?

Watching the Sci-Fi Channel doesn't count :lol:

8. SmarterThanHick

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +240
    People have a bad habit of citing Einstein as the end-all of information. He was certainly a genius in physics, but he's no more comparable to modern knowledge and culture than citing Alexander the Great. Now if you want to use him as a source for PHYSICS then you'd have a strong point. But that's not the topic we're talking about, and he's unfortunately not been alive for over half a century. To say he never saw the coming of genetics is an understatement.

9. Marc39

Marc39 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +202
    I'll go with Einstein.:clap2:

You, not so much.:lol:

10. SmarterThanHick

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +240
    You want to go with someone who has not been alive in over half a century as your source for modern scientific information? Ignoring the fact that he literally grew up with a horse and buggy, and never saw computers let alone the internet, I really don't think you should be using Einstein as your source for religion or non-physics modern science.

Also, you may want to read a few of these:
    http://atheism.about.com/od/einsteingodreligion/tp/Was-Einstein-an-Atheist-.htm

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010