School Uniforms: Fielding

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
A school uniform is a specially-designed and administratively designated regular outfit required to be worn by all students attending the given school governed by the policy distributing the uniforms.

Many schools in Asia and Eastern Europe still require their students to wear regular school uniforms, but their popularity has diminished in public schools across America.

Advocates of school uniforms argue that the standardization of student dress takes away the peer pressures of fashion and takes away the distraction of personalized libertine school-wear and clothing, motivating the students to solely focus on their education.

Critics of school uniforms suggest that the strict standardization that comes with uniform-wear tends to frustrate students who would rather choose their own variegated school-wear and clothing.

For our modern age of consumerism convenience culture (i.e., eBay, eTrade, Burger King, etc.), uniformity and diligence tend to be ignored in preference for personalized comforts and laissez-faire living.

One thing is for sure --- the discussion surrounding school uniform enforcement encourages dialogue about the value of education administration.

Compromises that meet the demands of both critics and advocates of school uniforms include the distribution of regular uniforms that are more colorful (i.e., lime green uniforms as opposed to grey uniforms).

:arrow:

School uniform - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

grey.jpg

green.jpg

A school uniform is a specially-designed and administratively designated regular outfit required to be worn by all students attending the given school governed by the policy distributing the uniforms.

Many schools in Asia and Eastern Europe still require their students to wear regular school uniforms, but their popularity has diminished in public schools across America.

Advocates of school uniforms argue that the standardization of student dress takes away the peer pressures of fashion and takes away the distraction of personalized libertine school-wear and clothing, motivating the students to solely focus on their education.

Critics of school uniforms suggest that the strict standardization that comes with uniform-wear tends to frustrate students who would rather choose their own variegated school-wear and clothing.

For our modern age of consumerism convenience culture (i.e., eBay, eTrade, Burger King, etc.), uniformity and diligence tend to be ignored in preference for personalized comforts and laissez-faire living.

One thing is for sure --- the discussion surrounding school uniform enforcement encourages dialogue about the value of education administration.

Compromises that meet the demands of both critics and advocates of school uniforms include the distribution of regular uniforms that are more colorful (i.e., lime green uniforms as opposed to grey uniforms).

View attachment 33651

View attachment 33652
We have had them here for almost 20 years.

They were supposed to end violence and clothes envy.

Violence is worse, most schools in the parish got a D on the state report card, with a C at one HS, a B at the main HS, and of course all the elitists Lab Schools and Magnetic Schools got and A.

We had a killing at the HS the first week of school this year.

Clothes envy was replaced by the shoe cult anyway.

There is absolutely no proof school uniforms do anything except save parents some laundry time.

As an example, since the kids hated them, I bought 6 Dockers and 6 white shirts.

Sure made laundry a breeze.

View attachment 33651

View attachment 33652
As compromise here, they allowed tan pants, black pants, white shirts, and school color shirts, in polo or Oxford style.

That allowed enough variety that they never really looked like they were wearing uniforms in the first place.

In contrast, my GF lives by one of the highest achieving schools in NC.

They dress like they want to.

View attachment 33651

View attachment 33652

Style em like the ones in the Harry Potter movies and people'll stop complaining. :)

Populism

I like the comment about the Harry Potter movies. There's a close connection between culture and education in our modern world of 'consumerism politics' (i.e., eTrade, NATO, etc.).

Social procedure is related to economics now more than ever. This affecte education.

I read an article in the New Yorker referencing this arena as "The Grammarian's Cauldron." He was implying that close attention to trend detail in modern times makes technical focus on bureaucratic 'mechanics' a thing of philosophical labor.

School uniforms in pure black color seem to carry a tone of 'brutal uniformity,' and school uniforms in easy white color seem to incur ideas about rebelliousness.

It's a difficult problem to be sure, and now that populism-festive vigilantism-themed comic book adapted programs such as "Arrow" (The CW) and "Gotham" (Fox TV) are all the rage, uniformity is a real vagrancy-talk related issue.

Modern Times film - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

movie-pic.jpg

School uniforms and dress codes have long been associated with parochial schools. They are a manifestation of discipline, and do not work as well in public schools, where discipine is, to put it kindly, a joke. Kids, by their nature, will constantly try to push the envelope of what is allowed, and this occurs whether the dress code is strict or non-existent. I can remember the high school nuns in the 50's and 60's fighting with girls about how long their skirts were, buttoning up their blouses, and so on. Uniforms should be accompanied by guidelines on shoes as well, otherwise the shoes will become a subject to conflict, jealousy, and ridicule.

School uniforms have the advantages of, (1) minimizing the social bullshit that accompanies freedom of garment, (2) promoting an ordered environment and respect for the institution of the school, (3) ensuring that the girls in particular are modestly dressed - as they should be in school, and (4) saving the parents some money and aggravation.

But since our society has generally gone to the dogs, I would expect much support for school uniforms at this time in history.

Pity.

School uniforms comfort the adults. It's an out of sight out of mind thang.

Because they don't see gang colors the gangs do not exist.

Because they don't see the flaunting of money then it does not exist.

Chocolate Factory

I want to take a look at a special character from world literature who really captures social fascination with lifestyle couture as it applies to our modern age of mass psychology (i.e., globalization).

In Roald Dahl's classic irony-wit children's fantasy book, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" (1964), we read of an optimistic poor English boy named Charlie who wins a special golden lottery ticket which wins him admission into an incredible tour of a fabled chocolate factory managed by an eccentric wizard-genius named Willy Wonka. Charlie must traverse various fantasy patches and carefully observe the mechanics of an area filled with wild candies as he makes decisions about prudence and courage. At one point, one of the other children who also won one of the multiple golden lottery tickets distributed, a young arrogant girl named Violet Beauregarde, unfortunately expands into an oversized blueberry when she tries an experimental piece of chewing gum without care.

Violet represents a social concern for the lifestyle behaviors that construct visible forms of 'economic consequence' and is very symbolic for our modern age of Burger King marketing. Did you know there's a Burger King in Afghanistan?

We can reference the youth-exercise themed character of Violet to understand the macro-psychological forces that inform today's sentimental school-yard talk about 'school uniform heroism.'

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory film - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

uniformity.jpg

Plaid is a good choice-----it was the choice of the catholic school in my home-town------a kind of dim gray and blue plaid-----
I wore lots of plaid as a child-----mom was more into intense
red or green plaids------the plaid depicted seems kinda
classical to me

Student Body Confluence

This issue is really a symbolic one when you consider how it affects our modern-day perspectives on multi-culturalism in schools.

When you argue that school uniforms promote academic diligence and help remove the peer pressures associated with style/fashion clothing, how does the consideration of uniformity/diligence affect the arena of multi-cultural/multi-ethnic mixing in schools?

While school uniforms are associated with parochial schools mostly, more parochial schools feature a multi-ethnic student body.

uniforms.jpg

Color Scheme Variations: Turtleneck Beaker

One way to address the problem of rebelliousness sentiments against school uniform policies is to 'spice' up uniforms (with slight moderation).

For example, a school could provide students with a set of turtlenecks, each of a different color (perhaps 8 colors in all), for students to wear under their basic white dress shirts that go with their basic black/white dress pants or skirts.

The slight coloration of the under-garment turtleneck, which the students can rotate and pick freely on their own can provide enough fashion self-determination (and variety) to encourage students to think less anxiously about the 'uniformity' of school uniforms.

:afro:

Turtleneck

tneck.jpg

"Fashion State/Commerce Discipline"

Will TrumpUSA (with its orientation towards consumerism) change our taste for streamlined colors in educational arenas?

====

The basic white-colored school uniform is considered classic, standard, and untarnished. Will it stand the test of time?

uni1.jpg

The changes in school uniform designs (e.g., plaid-colorings) reflected a burgeoning interest in expressiveness in civilization settings (e.g., schools, military, sports, etc.).

uni2.jpg

The uniforms and their potentially rich colors seen in the outfits/gears of policemen across the world (e.g., Nigeria) arguably parallel our general modern interest in obedience dialogue in this age of consumerism-related frills (e.g., Facebook, NATO, Wal-Mart, etc.).

uni4.jpg

These colorings parallel a commerce-related fascination with youth-targeted creativity (e.g., Highlights Magazine), which is really a core concern for this age of TrumpUSA.

====

:dance:

uni5.jpg

Forum List

Back