School me on Teddy Roosevelt and the Progressive Republicans

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
Teach me about his policy points and what not. I enjoy reading everyone's spin on it.

TR wasn't supposed to be in the script. Leon Czolgosz changed that.

Once he was in office he proved to be popular with the commoners, putting at least some brakes on the unbridled corporate orgy of the time (the Progressive movement). After almost 8 years he thought his protegé Taft would hone to the same path but Taft turned out to be a corporatist like McKinley. So Teddy ran for POTUS again in 1912 opposing his own protegé and took a substantial set of primary victories and a delegate lead into the convention, but the Republican Party was in the throes of its shift to the corporate and wealthy interests and shut him out in favor of the corporate guy from Ohio. TR went down the street and started his own party, nicknamed "Bull Moose", and drew enough votes to shove Taft down to third place and hand the Presidency to Wilson who had only about 42% of the popular vote.

I guess that's more about political party shifts than about TR himself.

Teach me about his policy points and what not. I enjoy reading everyone's spin on it.
January 6, 1919) was an American statesman and writer who served as the 26th President of the United States from 1901 to 1909. He also served as the 25th Vice President of the United States from March to September 1901 and as the 33rd Governor of New York from 1899 to 1900. As a leader of the Republican Party during this time, he became a driving force for the Progressive Era in the United States in the early 20th century. His face is depicted on Mount Rushmore, alongside those of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Abraham Lincoln. In polls of historians and political scientists, Roosevelt is generally ranked as one of the five best presidents.[2]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Roosevelt

If you like more use the link above. He was a heck of a person, the only thing I did not like he was a hunter and liked the chase and kill.

January 6, 1919) was an American statesman and writer who served as the 26th President of the United States from 1901 to 1909. He also served as the 25th Vice President of the United States from March to September 1901 and as the 33rd Governor of New York from 1899 to 1900. As a leader of the Republican Party during this time, he became a driving force for the Progressive Era in the United States in the early 20th century. His face is depicted on Mount Rushmore, alongside those of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Abraham Lincoln. In polls of historians and political scientists, Roosevelt is generally ranked as one of the five best presidents.[2]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Roosevelt

If you like more use the link above. He was a heck of a person, the only thing I did not like he was a hunter and liked the chase and kill.

He's an interesting fellow. Naval historian. Came up with the line "a corporation which derives its powers from the State,.....".

Forum List

Back