Saudi Arabia Should Be Our Job 1 In Terrorism

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,184565,00.html

2. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    "It is also a disservice to democracy. It sends a conflicting message to the Muslim community: that in a democracy it is permissible to offend Islam. This message damages efforts to prove that democracy and Islam go together."

freedom of speech is the foundation of a democracy......so it would appear they are correct the is no place for democracy in the islamic faith....

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    The press in democracies offend the religious all the time. Why should Islam be special? Agree with you, Manu.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I've been saying this since 9/12/2001. Saudi Arabia is not an ally, a friend, or a sympathetic neutral. Saudi Arabia is an enemy, plain and simple.

5. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Pretty touchy situation. If we stop propping the Sauds, the radical clerics will be running that peninsula in a heartbeat. I really think it's a pick your poison situation there right now and I for one am glad that the Bush family has a good enough relationship with them to keep the status quo for now because the next step will only be worse.

6. Mariner

Mariner Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I never thought I'd agree with you wholeheartedly on anything, but I do on this one. We have to address our problems with Saudi Arabia.

Our number one problem with them is that we need them desperately. They're our dealer. They have the oil we need, and, because we pay them for it, they have the $$ to finance our deficit-spending ways. The kingdom earns our trust by its willingness to hold down the price of oil at strategic moments. Therefore we are forced to be very hushed in our criticism of them, and nice to their citizens. Isn't it strange how all those bin Laden relatives were allowed to sneak home after 9/11, and how few Saudi citizens are in Guantanamo?

Saudi Wahabbism is the source of Al Qaeda's ideology, yet we've let them off the hook in terms of investigating militant Wahabbism within their own country. When's the last time we've heard of a major investigation into Saudi terrorist training camps or Islamist idea factories?

As DilloDuck says, we're in a real bind in terms of how to deal with them. If an election were held there tomorrow, we know who would win: Osama bin Laden.

Our first step should be to close the SUV loopholes, impose a gas tax that raises the cost to $3 per gallon (at which point the biodiesel I run my car on goes down to $2.65 and becomes economical for truck fleets). We should balance our budget so we're paying our own way in the world rather than depending on nice foreigners to finance our lifestyles. We have to acknowledge the geopolitical consequences of our love of oil and deficit spending. Bush seems to have taken a baby step in this direction recently, which I'm glad of.

Mariner.

7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403

oooooooooo Tax Americans---that outta get them Wahibs :rotflmao:

8. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Woo-hoo! :beer:

1. The "SUV loopholes" will take care of themselves as the price of gas rises.

2. Gas is going to be $3.00 a gallon this summer anyway. Besides, half the cost of gas is already taxes. I understand the economic implications of taxing an undesirable behavior in order to discourage it, but this particular step will be unnecessary in about 4 months.

3. Yeah, we should have a more balanced federal budget. Let's start by reforming SS, reducing all of the benefits the federal government pays out, eleiminating federal government programs (or Deptartments, in DoE's case), and cutting tax rates, which will raise tax receipts. Thankfully, Bush is starting to do something about this piece.

In general, though, I think that the free market will determine how long our reliance on oil will last, not higher taxes (or green tax credits).

9. Mariner

Mariner Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    a certain perspective on the Saudi royal family--the numerous princes and princesses (I think there are 10,000 in all) who attend college in Boston. They double park their BMWs and Maseratis outside nightclubs and throw cash around. They don't have a very good reputation locally, though I'm sure plenty of them are fine people in the daylight.

It certainly does seem that resource wealth destroys a country.

Mariner.