Santorum v. Prenatal Screening

And yet we have some that would force a woman to get an ultrasound for the opposite reason. :cuckoo:

Exactly.

It's a no brainer. The doctor or the abortion provider has to know the age of the fetus.
Ultrasounds are already part of VA Planned Parenthood abortion procedure.

The Virginia League for Planned Parenthood didn’t immediately return calls yesterday. But here’s what it said on the recording for its abortion services information hotline:

“Patients who have a surgical abortion generally come in for two appointments. At the first visit we do a health assessment, perform all the necessary lab work, and do an ultrasound. This visit generally takes about an hour. At the second visit, the procedure takes place. This visit takes about an hour as well. For out of town patients for whom it would be difficult to make two trips to our office, we’re able to schedule both the initial appointment and the procedure on the same day.

Medical abortions generally require three visits. At the first visit, we do a health assessment, perform all the necessary lab work, and do an ultrasound. This visit takes about an hour. At the second visit, the physician gives the first pill and directions for taking two more pills at home. The third visit is required during which you will have an exam and another ultrasound.”

Making abortion an issue in this election is one I welcome.

Let's get down to the truth of it all on any and all levels and cut thru all the bullshit pro death people bazooka barf out of their mouths on a daily basis.

I see. So women should never see any kind of doctor at all, as they might be informed of birth control, or of the fact that the only option is not a back alley abortion.

But, for God's sake, just keep up this line of talk, loud and incessant. See what it does for the women's vote in November.

Hey sisters! Don't you want to protect your future sisters?

About Sex Selection

Sex selection means choosing the sex of a future child, either before or after conception. In most of the world, it is used to promote the birth of boys, which exacerbates discrimination against girls and women.

Prenatal screening followed by sex-selective abortion is still the primary means of ensuring sons, and has created lopsided sex ratios in countries such as India and China.

New technologies such as sperm sorting and preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD), which provide additional ways to select sex, are being openly promoted in the United States.

Sex selection raises concerns about exacerbating sex discrimination and violence against women, and normalizing the "selection" and "design" of children.

The use and marketing of sex selection technologies are largely unregulated in the United States. Although the ongoing attacks on abortion rights complicate efforts to address even pre-pregnancy methods, a number of countries—including Canada, Germany, and the United Kingdom—prohibit "social" sex selection without affecting abortion rights.

CGS*:*Sex Selection

So you are going to make an argument based on what women might hypothetically do?

It's what has been happening and is currently ramping. I started a real thread on female feticide and how it ties in with prenatal testing.

This is not a religious issue in my mind whatsoever. The genetics medical community are duly concerned with the ethics of all of this. I'd prefer to talk honestly about the eugenics involved in prenatal screening.

Gender screening is becoming such a concern that a well known physician up here has recommended that women not be told the sex of their child till 30 weeks.

I just want to talk truth. Until we discuss the truths of abortion and what we face as a society we'll never get anywhere. And yes as a society.

Last edited:
Hey sisters! Don't you want to protect your future sisters?

About Sex Selection

Sex selection means choosing the sex of a future child, either before or after conception. In most of the world, it is used to promote the birth of boys, which exacerbates discrimination against girls and women.

Prenatal screening followed by sex-selective abortion is still the primary means of ensuring sons, and has created lopsided sex ratios in countries such as India and China.

New technologies such as sperm sorting and preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD), which provide additional ways to select sex, are being openly promoted in the United States.

Sex selection raises concerns about exacerbating sex discrimination and violence against women, and normalizing the "selection" and "design" of children.

The use and marketing of sex selection technologies are largely unregulated in the United States. Although the ongoing attacks on abortion rights complicate efforts to address even pre-pregnancy methods, a number of countries—including Canada, Germany, and the United Kingdom—prohibit "social" sex selection without affecting abortion rights.

CGS*:*Sex Selection

So you are going to make an argument based on what women might hypothetically do?

It's what has been happening and is currently ramping. I started a real thread on female feticide and how it ties in with prenatal testing.

This is not a religious issue in my mind whatsoever. The genetics medical community are duly concerned with the ethics of all of this. I'd prefer to talk honestly about the eugenics involved in prenatal screening.

Gender screening is becoming such a concern that a well known physician up here has recommended that women not be told the sex of their child till 30 weeks.

I just want to talk truth. Until we discuss the truths of abortion and what we face as a society we'll never get anywhere. And yes as a society.

Claiming that prenatal testing is some sort of turn towards eugenics is too patently dishonest to be entertained.

You know what the issue is about lefties, quit playing so coy. Nobody is suggesting that PN screenings should be illegal. You metro-sexual leftie guys can probably get one once in a while just to keep in touch with your feminine side. Santorum doesn't want the rest of us to pay for screenings by clinics that specialize in abortions designed to kill babies who are not up to the genetic standards of the new world order. Neither do I. Commit manslaughter on your own time but don't expect me to pay for it.

NBC Politics - Santorum makes prenatal testing a campaign issue

Santorum opposes government funding for prenatal screening because it might induce more women to get an abortion?

Absurd.

He went so far as to make the claim that the majority of people who get pre-natal screenings get abortions.

You must have read a different version of the article than I did, because such a claim by Santorum is not in the one I read.

She read the Chris version of the article.

Santorum opposes government funding for prenatal screening because it might induce more women to get an abortion?

And yet we have some that would force a woman to get an ultrasound for the opposite reason. :cuckoo:

An ULTRASOUND is not the same as neonatal SCREENING.

Neonatal screening is done expressly for the purpose of determining if anomolies exist at an early enough stage in the pregnancy to perform an abortion if they do. That's the sole purpose.

Absurd.

Correct me if I am wrong but prenatal testing also gives the MD a chance to assess not only the over all health of the fetus but, the mother too.

As in is she doing whats necessary perhaps vitamins, nutrition etc. to ensure that she is giving her body there fore the baby the best chance in/of health if carried to term?

If so for that reason alone, hes wrong. If they do detect an abnormality, well, people are still individuals and must make their own decisions. He makes it appear every MD will push for abortion and ignore the advice I think they are duty bound to give a in the best advice they can offer for the mother and child's health during gestation. Which makes him off base again.

Whoops I meant pre natal, not neo natal, silly me.

Ok, I thought prenatal screening was in the form of amnio and genetic marker testing.

It is..

"
prenatal screening

Type: Term

Definitions:
1. screening for the detection of fetal disease, usually by ultrasound examination or by testing amnionic fluid obtained by amniocentesis. Other screening techniques include testing maternal serum and placental biopsy."

Prenatal Screening -- Medical Definition

Incidentally, prenatal screening causes quite a large number of miscarriages/fetal death. There's a risk associated with it, and it's substantial.

When do women "have" to abort abnormal babies? Are you proposing we force them to?

And I guess you missed the definition:

"
prenatal screening

Type: Term

Definitions:
1. screening for the detection of fetal disease, usually by ultrasound examination or by testing amnionic fluid obtained by amniocentesis. Other screening techniques include testing maternal serum and placental biopsy."
Prenatal Screening -- Medical Definition

An ULTRASOUND is not the same as neonatal SCREENING.

Neonatal screening is done expressly for the purpose of determining if anomolies exist at an early enough stage in the pregnancy to perform an abortion if they do. That's the sole purpose.

The purpose of a screen is not to "perform an abortion" if there is an elevated quad. It's to provide parents with the risk of certain chromosomal anomalies

I should know, I am looking at a healthy, beautiful baby boy that had an elevated quad for t21 and did not have downs

Forum List

Back