Russia's sanctions against Turkey

Baron

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
A nice message, no support for ISIS....sorry..for Turkey and its Caliph Al Erdogan.At best all contacts between Russia and Caliphate Turkey shall be frozen.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a decree imposing a package of economic sanctions against Turkey following its downing of a Russian Su-24 bomber in Syria. The measures include banning several Turkish organizations and the import of certain goods.

A decree on "measures providing the national security of the Russian Federation and the protection of its citizens against criminal and other unlawful acts, and on imposing special economic measures in relation to Turkish Republic" was signed on Saturday, the Kremlin press service said.

Under the decree, the import of certain products originating from Turkey will be temporarily banned or restricted.

A number of Turkish organizations operating in Russia will also be restricted.

Putin approves economic sanctions against Turkey following downing of Russian warplane

In addition to whatever economic sanctions Putin can muster against turkey, he can also deny the Turkish Air Force the very airspace they call home with his recent deployment of ground to air missles in Syria. He's in charge now, if he so chooses.

In addition to whatever economic sanctions Putin can muster against turkey, he can also deny the Turkish Air Force the very airspace they call home with his recent deployment of ground to air missles in Syria. He's in charge now, if he so chooses.

If he's willing to go to war with Turkey and NATO, sure.

Russia doesn't have the economy to pull off such a war. And Putin knows it. So he'll rattle sabers and issue travel restrictions. And little else.

Russia's sancti.... excuse me sorry! I can't believe I said "Russia's." PUTIN'S sanctions against Turkey are laughable. As much as our own sanctions against Iran were as Russia built them centrifuges and delivered them all kinds of nuclear materials.

But somehow Putin has become a champion of the GOP! Go figure!

I'm waiting for the RT footage of Russian soldiers pushing over a Donner Kabab stand.

That'll show Turkey!

Granny says, "Dat's right - tell `em dey can sit an' pound salt...

Turkey won't apologize to Russia over warplane downing
Nov 30,`15 -- Turkey won't apologize to Russia for shooting down a warplane operating over Syria, the Turkish prime minister said Monday, stressing that the military was doing its job defending the country's airspace.
Ahmet Davutoglu also said Turkey hopes Moscow will reconsider economic sanctions announced against Turkish interests following last week's incident. The Turkish resort town of Antalya is 'like a second home' to many Russian holidaymakers, he said, but refused to yield on Turkish security. "No Turkish prime minister or president will apologize ... because of doing our duty," Davutoglu told reporters after meeting with NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg in Brussels. "Protection of Turkish airspace, Turkish borders is a national duty, and our army did their job to protect this airspace. But if the Russian side wants to talk, and wants to prevent any future unintentional events like this, we are ready to talk."

Turkish F-16s shot down a Russian warplane on Nov. 24, sparking Cold War-style tensions between Russia and NATO, of which Turkey is a member. One of the Russian pilots was killed, while a second was rescued. On Monday, the body of Lt. Col. Oleg Peshkov, the Russian pilot, was flown back to Russia following a military ceremony in the Turkish capital, Ankara, Turkey's military said. Russian President Vladimir Putin, at the international climate talks in Paris, on Monday said "we have every reason to believe" that the plane was shot down to protect what he described as Turkish profiteering from illegal imports of oil produced by Islamic State rebels in Syria. In Washington, State Department spokeswoman Elizabeth Trudeau said the United States has corroborated that the Russian plane violated Turkish airspace, based on evidence from Turkey and from "our own sources."

The Russian air force said Monday that its Su-34 fighter bombers in Syria were now armed with air-to-air missiles for defense. Air force spokesman Col. Igor Klimov said the missiles have a range of about 60 kilometers (35 miles), Russian news agencies reported. Russia began airstrikes in Syria on Sept. 30 that it says are focused on IS fighters. But some observers say Russia is targeting other rebel groups to bolster the forces of Syrian President Bashar Assad. Russia insists that the plane that was shot down didn't intrude on Turkish airspace.

Douglas Lute, the U.S. ambassador to NATO, said he saw American data which "corroborates Turkey's version of events. So the airplane was in Turkey, it was engaged in Turkey." Putin on Saturday called for sanctions against Turkey including bans on some Turkish goods and extensions on work contracts for Turks working in Russia. The measures also call for ending chartered flights from Russia to Turkey and for Russian tourism companies to stop selling vacation packages that would include a stay in Turkey.

News from The Associated Press

Russia doesn't have the economy to pull off such a war. And Putin knows it. So he'll rattle sabers and issue travel restrictions. And little else.

NATO ?

Turkey's pretty much on their own here. And nato is by no means obligated to go to war against Russia on their behalf.

Last edited:

NATO ?

Turkey's pretty much on their own here. And nato is by no means obligated to go to war against Russia on their behalf.

If Russia makes war on Turkey? NATO would step up. Russia repeatedly violated Turkish airspace, taunting the Turks. The Turks shot down on of their planes.

Chances are, Putin won't be sending more planes into Turkish airspace.

Granny says, "Dat's right - tell `em dey can sit an' pound salt...

Turkey won't apologize to Russia over warplane downing
Nov 30,`15 -- Turkey won't apologize to Russia for shooting down a warplane operating over Syria, the Turkish prime minister said Monday, stressing that the military was doing its job defending the country's airspace.
Ahmet Davutoglu also said Turkey hopes Moscow will reconsider economic sanctions announced against Turkish interests following last week's incident. The Turkish resort town of Antalya is 'like a second home' to many Russian holidaymakers, he said, but refused to yield on Turkish security. "No Turkish prime minister or president will apologize ... because of doing our duty," Davutoglu told reporters after meeting with NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg in Brussels. "Protection of Turkish airspace, Turkish borders is a national duty, and our army did their job to protect this airspace. But if the Russian side wants to talk, and wants to prevent any future unintentional events like this, we are ready to talk."

Turkish F-16s shot down a Russian warplane on Nov. 24, sparking Cold War-style tensions between Russia and NATO, of which Turkey is a member. One of the Russian pilots was killed, while a second was rescued. On Monday, the body of Lt. Col. Oleg Peshkov, the Russian pilot, was flown back to Russia following a military ceremony in the Turkish capital, Ankara, Turkey's military said. Russian President Vladimir Putin, at the international climate talks in Paris, on Monday said "we have every reason to believe" that the plane was shot down to protect what he described as Turkish profiteering from illegal imports of oil produced by Islamic State rebels in Syria. In Washington, State Department spokeswoman Elizabeth Trudeau said the United States has corroborated that the Russian plane violated Turkish airspace, based on evidence from Turkey and from "our own sources."

The Russian air force said Monday that its Su-34 fighter bombers in Syria were now armed with air-to-air missiles for defense. Air force spokesman Col. Igor Klimov said the missiles have a range of about 60 kilometers (35 miles), Russian news agencies reported. Russia began airstrikes in Syria on Sept. 30 that it says are focused on IS fighters. But some observers say Russia is targeting other rebel groups to bolster the forces of Syrian President Bashar Assad. Russia insists that the plane that was shot down didn't intrude on Turkish airspace.

Douglas Lute, the U.S. ambassador to NATO, said he saw American data which "corroborates Turkey's version of events. So the airplane was in Turkey, it was engaged in Turkey." Putin on Saturday called for sanctions against Turkey including bans on some Turkish goods and extensions on work contracts for Turks working in Russia. The measures also call for ending chartered flights from Russia to Turkey and for Russian tourism companies to stop selling vacation packages that would include a stay in Turkey.

News from The Associated Press

The Turkish PM's public persona is built on much the same basis as Putin's: personal machismo. Backing down in a situation like this would undermine that persona.

My question is why antagonize the Turks to begin with?

Good lord, another thread using RT as a source!? :lol:

Barron cited the 'Voice of Russia' just yesterday.

I'm guessing......pro-Russian shill?

My guess as well. Citing Radio Sputnik when discussing Russia is like citing Rodong Sinmun when discussing Best Korea. lol

Sputnik News is literally owned by the same Russian Government agency that owns Voice of Russia. Its Russian State media.

And Baron's primary source.

Barron cited the 'Voice of Russia' just yesterday.

I'm guessing......pro-Russian shill?

My guess as well. Citing Radio Sputnik when discussing Russia is like citing Rodong Sinmun when discussing Best Korea. lol

Sputnik News is literally owned by the same Russian Government agency that owns Voice of Russia. Its Russian State media.

And Baron's primary source.

Exactly. Amazing, isn't it?

NATO ?

Really? Big Ears has voiced support for Turkey as a NATO ally. Would he take the US to war to support Turkey? I certainly hope not, but BO does NOT strike me as a logical person interested in peace.

What if the kook Islamist Erdogan, who is supporting ISIS in an effort to unseat the secular Assad, draws the US into war with Russia? These stupid war guarantees, which is NATO, need to be discontinued. The USSR is gone...so why is NATO still here?

Big Ears supports Turkey...
Obama urges Turkey to reduce tensions with Russia

NATO ?

Really? Big Ears has voiced support for Turkey as a NATO ally. Would he take the US to war to support Turkey? I certainly hope not, but BO does NOT strike me as a logical person interested in peace.

What if the kook Islamist Erdogan, who is supporting ISIS in an effort to unseat the secular Assad, draws the US into war with Russia? These stupid war guarantees, which is NATO, need to be discontinued. The USSR is gone...so why is NATO still here?

I'd like to hear more of what Putin has to say in regards to turkey supporting Isis through cross border trade. Mostly buying their oil.

Turkey already went to war with our allies in that region and so far as I know, they remain at war with our allies in that region. That being said, why should we waste our time supporting turkey when they misbehave.

NATO ?

I'd like to hear more of what Putin has to say in regards to turkey supporting Isis through cross border trade. Mostly buying their oil.

Turkey already went to war with our allies in that region and so far as I know, they remain at war with our allies in that region. That being said, why should we waste our time supporting turkey when they misbehave.
Russia was attacking the ISIS oil supply line (which flows through Turkey), when the Turks shot down the Russian plane and killed a pilot. Big Ears then says he wants Turkey and Russia to get along and fight Isis...funny...that is exactly what Russia was doing when Turkey committed an act of war shooting down the plane.

I think it is clear Turkey is supporting ISIS (Big Ears may be too).

Now in goes 200 special ops American forces to attack ISIS both in Iraq and Syria. Is this not looking more and more like Vietnam redux?

NATO ?

Russia was attacking the ISIS oil supply line (which flows through Turkey), when the Turks shot down the Russian plane and killed a pilot. Big Ears then says he wants Turkey and Russia to get along and fight Isis...funny...that is exactly what Russia was doing when Turkey committed an act of war shooting down the plane.

I think it is clear Turkey is supporting ISIS (Big Ears may be too).

Now in goes 200 special ops American forces to attack ISIS both in Iraq and Syria. Is this not looking more and more like Vietnam redux?

We have no business putting our troops in harms way over there. None whatsoever.

How will Russian ships and the Russian Navy get to Syria or anywhere else in the Med without approval from Turkey?

How will Russian ships and the Russian Navy get to Syria or anywhere else in the Med without approval from Turkey?

Dont be silly.
Asking questions like that suggests a level of ignorance on your part that will require years to overcome

Forum List

Back