Rumsfeld Indirectly Blames Turkey for the Intensity of the Iraqi 'Insurgency'

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
Yep, a NYT article is posted below. Sorry. However, the Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz quotes regarding Turkey are of interest. Turkey has perhaps the most untruthful, virulently anti-American “free” news media in the world. Surprised? I was when I found out. The Turkish press does everything it can (especially lies, fabricated conspiracy theories, and distortions) to boost anti-American hatred in Turkey. The intensity of the lies (stunning in their magnitude) printed about America in the Turkish press are perhaps only surpassed in North Korea, Iran, and Egypt. If interested, check out the following link for more information on the anti-American madness in Turkey: http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17873&highlight=turkey

March 20, 2005
Rumsfeld Cautions Iraqis on New Government
By BRIAN KNOWLTON,
International Herald Tribune

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/20/politics/20cnd-policy.html?

WASHINGTON, March 20 - Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld warned Iraqi politicians today to be "darned careful" in forming a new government that they not weaken Iraqi security forces. He also indirectly blamed Turkey for the persistent strength of the Iraqi insurgency, saying it would have been far weaker had American troops been able to invade Iraq from the north.

His caution to the Iraqi politicians struggling to assemble a government seemed a rather unusual intervention by a Pentagon chief in the internal deliberations of a nascent democracy, albeit one that would not have existed without the United States-led occupation.

Mr. Rumsfeld, speaking two years after the war began, sought above all to underline accomplishments in Iraq. "We have 25 million Iraqis that are free," he said. "The economy is coming back. The dinar is strong. The schools are open. The hospitals are open."

But he made clear that he had concerns as well. Mr. Rumsfeld noted the ferment, turnover and slippage inherent in the process as Iraq has moved from post-invasion governing council to interim government to transitional government.

He then warned that Iraqis had to "be darned careful about making a lot of changes just to be putting in their friend or to be putting in someone else from their tribe or from their ethnic group."

"This is too serious a business over there," he said on the program "Fox News Sunday," "and the United States has got too much invested and too much committed and too many lives at stake for people to be careless about that."

The defense secretary allowed that Iraqis should "put in who you want - it's your country and your sovereignty" - but then repeated that they should "be darned careful that you don't cause undue turbulence and weakness in the security forces, because it's the security forces of Iraq that are going to defeat that insurgency."

Mr. Rumsfeld did not say precisely what possibilities concerned him. But as Iraqi political negotiations have dragged on into the year, frustrations have risen in the country, possibly jeopardizing the timetable for a democratic evolution that is meant to permit a faster coalition withdrawal.

Mr. Rumsfeld was also asked to name "the single biggest mistake in prosecuting the war."

"The most important thing," he said on the ABC News program "This Week," "was that had we been successful in getting the 4th Infantry Division to come in through Turkey in the north when our forces were coming up from the south out of Kuwait, I believe that a considerably smaller number of the Baathists and the regime elements would have escaped.

"More would have been captured or killed. And as a result, the insurgency would have been at a lesser intensity than it is today."

American displeasure with Turkey over the refusal to grant access for the invasion, even as some U.S. troops and supplies were en route to that country, has never been a secret.

In early May 2003, Deputy Defense Secretary Paul D. Wolfowitz called on Ankara in an interview with CNN-Turk to admit that it had erred. "Let's have a Turkey that steps up and says: 'We made a mistake. We should have known how bad things were in Iraq, but we know now.' "

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan later sternly rejected the comment, saying, "Turkey, from the very beginning, never made any mistakes."
The following year, in a NATO conference in Istanbul, President Bush reassured Turkey that he was ready to move past the dispute.

That made Mr. Rumsfeld's comment today more striking.

His caution to Iraqi politicians about not endangering the country's security drew new attention to questions about how much remains to be done to train Iraqi forces to assume full responsibility for maintaining security, about how stretched United States forces are, and about how soon they will be able to depart in numbers.

Both Mr. Rumsfeld and Gen. Richard B. Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, insisted that American forces were adequate for the job - and for any other challenge that might arise, whether in Iran or North Korea.

General Myers said the goal of training 200,000 Iraqi security forces should be reached this summer.

He was asked on the NBC News program "Meet the Press" about widespread doubts on the reliability of United States figures for those Iraqis trained so far. The latest figure offered is 142,000, and the Government Accountability Office said this included tens of thousands of Iraqi police officers who had slipped away from their jobs.

"I'll stick with the 142,000," General Myers said. But he conceded that certainty about the numbers of trained police was lower than for trained army members. "Our visibility into the police is not perfect," he said.

Pressed about whether the United States military could handle new missions to remove the nuclear capabilities of North Korea or Iran, General Myers said, "Well, I think the point is that the president said we're going to do this diplomatically," but he added that the availability of force provided a useful negotiating chip.

"I don't think North Korea poses a threat to South Korea today," General Myers said. "They know that if they were to start any conflict on that peninsula, that would be the end of their regime."

I think Rumsfeld is correct with that assessment. I thought so at the beginning of the war, when it happened. So should the EU keep Turkey out?

Ethnocentric Euros want to keep the 70 million Muslims in Turkey out of the EU. Noting the degree of insanity present in the Turkish media, who can blame them? It is said that Turkey's actual admittance to the EU is 10 to 15 years away. Due to the projected population decline of the EU, the influx of Turkey's labor force would benefit the European economy in the long-run. In the short-term, however, acceptance of millions of low-wage earners into the EU will cause very significant economic dislocation and stress. Except for the ethnicity component, these remarks also pertain to any future EU absorption of the Ukraine.

onedomino said:
Ethnocentric Euros want to keep the 70 million Muslims in Turkey out of the EU. Noting the degree of insanity present in the Turkish media, who can blame them?

You sure sound like a white nationalist here. Sure you don't want to check yourself? The neocons will have your head on a platter.

William Joyce said:
You sure sound like a white nationalist here. Sure you don't want to check yourself? The neocons will have your head on a platter.
Pointing out Turkey's poisonous anti-American and anti-Israeli news media makes me a white nationalist? On the contrary, joyce-racist, if I was a Euro, I would favor Turkey's admission to the EU. I would also favor the Ukraine's admittance.

onedomino said:
Pointing out Turkey's poisonous anti-American and anti-Israeli news media makes me a white nationalist?

Yes. I have already reported you to the SPLC and the FBI. Clearly, you are out of step with the NWO.

Seriously. You asked "who can blame Eurocentrics for wanting to keep Turkey out?" It is largely European nationalists --- Le Pen, the British National Party, the former Vlaams Blok, etc. who warn of the consequences of Turkey's admission. Turkey is not a European nation. Its people are not Arabs, but not white, either. It is, however, Islamic. Letting Turkey into the EU would create a land bridge for anti-white, anti-European terror-heads. Why invite that in? Europe is already under fierce assault by Islamicists who care nothing for its people and traditions.

As for Turkey itself, Turkey is a weird bird, if you will. It is anti-Arab. Turks cannot stand Arabs and consider it an insult to call them Arabs. But they are not white or Christian, either. Israel has taken advantage of this unique position and has gained water and military concessions from Turkey. The IDF and Turkish forces have engaged in joint military exercises. I find that curious, but observe it nevertheless.

Another wrinkle is this: Turkey has a Kurdish population in the east. Turkish nationals hate them. Kurds are also found Iraq, in the north. They, in turn, hate the Sunnis AND Shi'ites and Arabs of Iraq. SO, Israel has been cultivating them as an Iraqi fifth column, which has pissed off the Turks. But the point is that Israel is not interested in regional stability, but rather, regional instability.

But the bottom line for me is that Turkey should not be in the EU, the U.S. should not be supporting Israel, and the white man should grab the wheel of this ship called America.

Forum List

Back