Rooney: Our Soldiers in Iraq Aren't Heroes

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
He writes today in his little-read column (the only place we could find it was the Buffalo News):

Treating soldiers fighting their war as brave heroes is an old civilian trick designed to keep the soldiers at it. But you can be sure our soldiers in Iraq are not all brave heroes gladly risking their lives for us sitting comfortably back here at home.

Our soldiers in Iraq are people, young men and women, and they behave like people - sometimes good and sometimes bad, sometimes brave, sometimes fearful. It's disingenuous of the rest of us to encourage them to fight this war by idolizing them.

We pin medals on their chests to keep them going. We speak of them as if they volunteered to risk their lives to save ours, but there isn't much voluntary about what most of them have done. A relatively small number are professional soldiers. During the last few years, when millions of jobs disappeared, many young people, desperate for some income, enlisted in the Army. About 40 percent of our soldiers in Iraq enlisted in the National Guard or the Army Reserve to pick up some extra money and never thought they'd be called on to fight. They want to come home.

Read the rest here:
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/4/12/172520.shtml

I'm going to go out on a limb and disagree with him. I think all of our men and women who are fighting in our military are hero's - whether you agree with the war or not. They CHOSE to serve their country.

am I mistaken, or didn't rooney write an article a couple of months ago that had the pro bush people praising rooney like he was gods gift to the people?

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
am I mistaken, or didn't rooney write an article a couple of months ago that had the pro bush people praising rooney like he was gods gift to the people?

Do you remember which article?

Originally posted by jimnyc
During the last few years, when millions of jobs disappeared, many young people, desperate for some income, enlisted in the Army. About 40 percent of our soldiers in Iraq enlisted in the National Guard or the Army Reserve to pick up some extra money and never thought they'd be called on to fight. They want to come home.

I'm sure they do want to go home, but I think the rest of it's BS. I would bet most of them are proud to wear a uniform, just as any other soldier. What an asshole.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
Rooney is an annoying bushy eyed,fatass windbag. He has no real commentary value, he is strictly for entertainment purposes.
\

Couldn't have said it better myself Biker! He is a useless piece of crap that no one even cares about anymore. It's nothing but shock value. It's hard to believe anyone could be such an ASS.

The soldiers in Iraq are people like us-but that's what makes them special. They are over there and we are still here.Wether or not they expected to called to duty or not is not the issue. It's what they are doing now. The hard work,no family,crappy food,and not to mention the threat of loosing their life. They are heros and always will be for I respect no one more.

On a side note,I guess looney Rooney is saying that because they didn't expect(in his words) to be called up that they are not heroes. Does he also think the men that were drafted in previous wars are also not heroes because they did not volunteer? Excuse my French,but he is sh!t in it's lowest form. Not very ladylike I now-but this guy tees me off! :mad:

This is the same guy who didn't want to go see "The Passion" because he didn't want to "waste 8 bucks on a few laughs." I'm not making this up, either.

He would have scared everyone in the theaters away anyway. They probably would have thought he was an evildoer!:cuckoo: :whip:

I don't know why he would even say such things. That doesn't sound very supportive of the troops. They are out there risking their lives, and he could show more appreciation than that. So what if they volunteered and knew the risks. Why does that matter?

Forum List

Back