Room Service - Circa 1967...

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
When my aunt passed away back in 2018, my brother and I shipped all of her stuff from New York to Florida where we could go through it at our leisure. The woman collected everything and, frankly, some of the collections are kinda' cool. We have everything in a climate controlled storage unit.

One of the things I found today is a room service menu from the Americana of San Juan. My aunt went there when it first opened which, so far as I can tell, was in 1967.

I scanned the menu. Check out these prices:

RS01.jpg

RS02.jpg

RS03.jpg

RS04.jpg

When I go to a nice restaurant today, a Filet Mignon can easily be $40 or more, and that will almost be paired up with two $18 Martinis. But a buck for a Martini? $6.50 for the Filet?? Please.

I'm not sure why the colors didn't show up in these, as they show up in the original scans, but not when I converted them to jpegs...

$1.00 in '67 is like $9.00 now......Your $6.50 filet would be $58.00 today.

Those are high prices for the era when a dollar was a lot harder to earn. You would have had to work about 4 hours for that chunk of meat given the average hourly wage in '67 was under $2.00 a hour.

Oh, I realize that.

Just funny to see those prices on a menu...

Those are high prices for the era when a dollar was a lot harder to earn. You would have had to work about 4 hours for that chunk of meat given the average hourly wage in '67 was under $2.00 a hour.

About a buck forty an hour...

When my aunt passed away back in 2018, my brother and I shipped all of her stuff from New York to Florida where we could go through it at our leisure. The woman collected everything and, frankly, some of the collections are kinda' cool. We have everything in a climate controlled storage unit.

One of the things I found today is a room service menu from the Americana of San Juan. My aunt went there when it first opened which, so far as I can tell, was in 1967.

View attachment 737377

View attachment 737378

View attachment 737379

View attachment 737380

When I go to a nice restaurant today, a Filet Mignon can easily be $40 or more, and that will almost be paired up with two $18 Martinis. But a buck for a Martini? $6.50 for the Filet?? Please.

I'm not sure why the colors didn't show up in these, as they show up in the original scans, but not when I converted them to jpegs...

Calculate in inflation and you will see the costs are pretty close to the same.

View attachment 737377

View attachment 737378

View attachment 737379

View attachment 737380

Back in the 1960s a dollar was this big...

1670704914074.png

Todays dollar is this big....

1670704986527.png

Now you just sit on your lazy Marxist ass all day, and get enough to buy pretty much anything you want...Then wonder why there is so much inflation...

Not you, i was saying how the lazy people who do nothing for society, can end up in hotel rooms getting room service at the expense of the tax payer.

Where's that happening?

That's so far removed from the intent of this thread I feel compelled to ask...

Where's that happening?

That's so far removed from the intent of this thread I feel compelled to ask...

So, it is lazy people or homeless people?

If you think all homeless people are lazy, well, that's just stupid.

Five years ago we hired a guy who was living in a homeless shelter in St. Johns, Florida. He's now our warehouse manager, is making good money and has a nice apartment. He's not lazy at all...

Five years ago we hired a guy who was living in a homeless shelter in St. Johns, Florida. He's now our warehouse manager, is making good money and has a nice apartment. He's not lazy at all...

Just because you got the exception to the rule doesn't negate the fact of what Mix posted.

Just because you got the exception to the rule doesn't negate the fact of what Mix posted.

But he's not the exception.

There's no shortage of homeless people who are hard workers.

I just find it interesting that he says "lazy people" are getting put up in hotels and then he gives examples of only homeless people.

The two are not synonymous...

Seems obvious enough to me. When you saved them to JPG, you used the wrong settings, and saved them as 8-bit greyscale instead of 24-bit color. An odd mistake for a “professional photographer” to make, but then I suppose it should not be unexpected from someone that believes that Canon makes equipment suitable for a serious photographer.

One in a million. I drive all over Floor E Da and come up on green vested pan handlers who are asking for some help in their lives. Just down the road from them, are businesses hiring people to work for them starting at 15 dollars and hour. Yeah, there might be a diamond in the rough, but too many are just too lazy to work.

One in a million. I drive all over Floor E Da and come up on green vested pan handlers who are asking for some help in their lives. Just down the road from them, are businesses hiring people to work for them starting at 15 dollars and hour. Yeah, there might be a diamond in the rough, but too many are just too lazy to work.

I don't disagree with you on that. But you think those panhandlers are being put up in nice hotels with room service at the end of the day?

Sorry, but you're gonna' have to cite some proof for that...

I don't disagree with you on that. But you think those panhandlers are being put up in nice hotels with room service at the end of the day?

Sorry, but you're gonna' have to cite some proof for that...
Not here in Floor E. Da. because we wont put up with that shit, but Cal, Ny and other blue states sure are doing it..

Not here in Floor E. Da. because we wont put up with that shit, but Cal, Ny and other blue states sure are doing it..

Again, you'll need to cite some supporting evidence. Odds are they're getting box lunches in lieu of room service...

Forum List

Back