Ron Paul remains media poison

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
I admit I do not fully understand Ron Paul and his beliefs. But I do understand when a guy gets shafted, and Ron Paul just got shafted.

On Saturday, the Ames Straw Poll was conducted in Iowa amid huge media interest and scrutiny. The results were enough to force one Republican candidate, Tim Pawlenty, out of the race, and catapult another, Michele Bachmann, into the “top tier.”

There are so many “top tier” stories in the media today that I can barely count them, let alone read them all, and Bachmann is in all of them by virtue of her victory at Ames. The rest of the tier is made up of two candidates who skipped Ames, Rick Perry and Mitt Romney.

As The Daily Beast put it: “The new top tier of Bachmann, Perry, and Romney — created by Bachmann’s Iowa straw poll win, Perry’s entry into the race and Romney’s lead so far in many national and state polls — has unleashed torrents of talk about the reshaped race.”

Paul’s name was not mentioned in this piece nor in many others. A Wall Street Journal editorial Monday magnanimously granted Paul’s showing in the straw poll a parenthetical dismissal: “(Libertarian Ron Paul, who has no chance to win the nomination, finished a close second.)”

Ron Paul remains media poison - Roger Simon - POLITICO.com

This is the truth. Ron Paul comes within 152 votes of first place, and somehow gets less press after that impressive showing than he got before. People would rather talk about Santorum's "impressive" fourth place finish. Really? Santorum's finish just proves what the polling has been showing all along, that he's a non-entity in this race. Yet his finish is somehow more impressive than Ron Paul just missing out on first. Come on now.

Forum List

Back