Romney’s 2.7 Billion Olympic Bailout by John McCain

R

rdean

Romney’s 2.7 Billion Olympic Bailout by John McCain

The Final Bill was: 2.7 Billion Dollars given to Romney by George Bush, the then, President to complete the Games which was grossly over-budget from the initial costs.

Apparently, Mitt Romney lobbied Hard for Money from Congress to bail him out, to fund the Olympics and to add to the National Debt, and in the end he credits himself for “Saving the Olympics” as he puts it.

Romney: “I think he was thinking we were asking for 5 to 10 million, we asked for several hundred million dollars in help. Everything that was needed was ultimately obtained”.

McCain: “…The American taxpayer has become by far, the largest single underwriter of the costs of hosting the Olympics”.

----------------------------------------------------

So the questions I have are,

"If the Republicans give you billions in taxpayer money, could anyone "save" the Olympics?

Who now "own" all those venues and hotels and other facilities paid for with "taxpayer money"?

I guess McCain has a short memory. He throws his support behind someone who blatantly and bashly used tax payer money to prop his own name up and then claim...."i did it.."

Maybe Ryan can fabricate another story about Super Mitt in his next speech.

This is exactly the point.

The reason why the SLC Olympics had to be saved was because Mormon officials in Utah had bribed the International Olympic Committee to get selected with real estate, money, etc. They did not have the resources to properly host or secure an Olympics, even the Winter ones that no one cares about unless you have Ice Skaters kneecapping each other.

So unlike an AmPad or a GS Steel, which entire communities depended on for their livilihoods, this had to be saved, or Rich Mormons would have looked bad.

So saving Rich Mormons. Top priority.

Saving "gentile" working folks... meh, fuck 'em.

Mittens only claim to fame was a bail out . Richie rich & boy blunder strike again .

Its insulting the gop picked this dude. Its insulting people actually support him.

Its insulting the gop picked this dude. Its insulting people actually support him.

Well, as I said before, when the GOP kept other candidates off ballots when they could to grease the skids for this guy, it's not like they had a choice.

Not to worry, he'll lose, and the GOP will claim it was because he wasn't a real conservative, and all will be right in the universe.

nope it's called context look into it....

FactCheck.org : Slaloming Through Olympic Facts

One other caveat, the GAO report notes that the federal government’s share of the total overall direct cost of hosting Olympic Games in U.S. cities generally decreased over time, from a high of 50 percent for the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, N.Y., to 8 percent for the 1996 Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta. For the Salt Lake City Games, the federal government share was 18 percent.

Interesting point from FactCheck.

The $1.3 billion figure cited in the DNC ad comes from a September 2000 GAO analysis of Olympic spending, undertaken at the request of Rep. John Dingell and Sen. John McCain. It included about $1.1 billion in indirect funding for the 2002 games, including such things as highways, transit systems and other capital improvements.

If you've got an Olympics--you didn't build that! ^

Forum List

Back