Romney vs. Obama What's the difference?

Is this a serious thread or just another cynical one?

The two men offer different kinds of budgets, just for starters.

Their views on social values have differences, too.

They are beholden to corporate forces, and those are different as well.

Is this a serious thread or just another cynical one?

The two men offer different kinds of budgets, just for starters.

Their views on social values have differences, too.

They are beholden to corporate forces, and those are different as well.

The video shows that on nearly every issue they have identical positions. They even have the same script.

P.S. They also have the same corporate backers.

While both men hold debt obligations sacrosanct, one would redistribute wealth and income and each would distribute debt burden differently. Obama would place it on the household and productive sector and use politics to allocate cuts in government benefits, while Romney would draw it from the public sector and tax loopholes. Neither discusses fiddling with the financial sector. Obama wants government led investment to inject purchasing power -- with savings from oil exports helping slow increase of debt. Romney wants the usual cutting of regulations and lower taxes -- and what else? I haven't really heard this reported much in the news.

two sides of the same coin. One is big military and corporation. The other is big welfare. I think this is what the OP is suggesting. Either way our debt is probably going to continue to ballon over the next 4 years. Vote 3rd party if you don't like either of them.

A vote for Romney is a vote for Obama.

Romney Obama the Same? - YouTube

I think back when Mitt was a Moderate and didn't follow Santorum down the Right Wing Extremism Road to gain the nomination, they were quite alike on a lot of issues.
Things that only the extremist want to make issues of, Romney left alone. Birth control, re-defining life and fighting Roe v. Wade, gay marriage etc... are examples of things The Center would prefer not even be issues. Add to that, the differences in their views on Corporations are People, Citizens United, Graham-Leach-Bliley, Oil Subsidies etc.... and you obviously have to VERY DIFFERENT candidates.

(Clue: Do you notice how much younger Mitt-Flop looks in the videos?)

While both men hold debt obligations sacrosanct, one would redistribute wealth and income and each would distribute debt burden differently. Obama would place it on the household and productive sector and use politics to allocate cuts in government benefits, while Romney would draw it from the public sector and tax loopholes. Neither discusses fiddling with the financial sector. Obama wants government led investment to inject purchasing power -- with savings from oil exports helping slow increase of debt. Romney wants the usual cutting of regulations and lower taxes -- and what else? I haven't really heard this reported much in the news.

The problem is both of them add to the deficit. Romney's plan adds 3 trillion to the deficit, Obama's is something like 9 trillion. Yeah obama's might be slightly worse but I honestly don't see Romney changing any of the policies in place right now that would alleviate the problem. His rhetoric is nearly identical to Obama's so it is hard to see a clear difference. If they have the same goals does it really matter how they get there?

The problem is both of them add to the deficit. Romney's plan adds 3 trillion to the deficit, Obama's is something like 9 trillion. Yeah obama's might be slightly worse but I honestly don't see Romney changing any of the policies in place right now that would alleviate the problem. His rhetoric is nearly identical to Obama's so it is hard to see a clear difference. If they have the same goals does it really matter how they get there?

9 trillion is "slightly" worse than 3 trillion? I'd say it was A LOT worse. That's 3 time's Romney's plan! I also don't think their goals are the same..at all. Besides, at least Romney knows business. He knows what businesses need to thrive and to put people to work. Obama doesn't know the first thing about it, even after 3 yrs of supposedly trying to fix the economy.

9 trillion is "slightly" worse than 3 trillion? I'd say it was A LOT worse. That's 3 time's Romney's plan! I also don't think their goals are the same..at all. Besides, at least Romney knows business. He knows what businesses need to thrive and to put people to work. Obama doesn't know the first thing about it, even after 3 yrs of supposedly trying to fix the economy.

His plan calls for at least 3 trillion in debt. My point was I don't think he will change any of Obama's policies really so it could be much much more. Watch the video and see what he says in his own words. They are exactly the same words Obama uses. He is for BIG GOVERNMENT bottom line and from the school that says when you need money you just print it or borrow more. This is not the way out.

His plan calls for at least 3 trillion in debt. My point was I don't think he will change any of Obama's policies really so it could be much much more. Watch the video and see what he says in his own words. They are exactly the same words Obama uses. He is for BIG GOVERNMENT bottom line and from the school that says when you need money you just print it or borrow more. This is not the way out.

Well....i hope you're wrong. We already know for sure how Obama works, so i guess i'll just keep my fingers crossed when Romney gets elected. I don't like having to vote for the "lesser" of 2 evils, but that's what it's coming down to.

Romney advocates turning many issues back to the states where IMO, they belong. Obama wants to continue to grow a huge central government.

I don't like having to vote for the "lesser" of 2 evils, but that's what it's coming down to.

So let me get this straight. Vote for Romney and get a 3 trillion dollar increase in debt. Vote for Obama get 9 trillion in debt. That is a lose lose.... Why not just vote for a real fiscal conservative. I'm looking at voting for Gary Johnson at this point.

Romney advocates turning many issues back to the states where IMO, they belong. Obama wants to continue to grow a huge central government.

Be careful with this one. It's a "Talk Radio" myth.

Every Republican president promises to return control to the states, but they always grow government more than the democrats. Reagan's War on Drugs was a massive federal program which pulled the states into a money wasting bureaucracy. Bush's Homeland Security is the largest, most secretive, most centralized, most expensive bureaucracy ever created. A hidden world, growing beyond control | washingtonpost.com

Bush sent the Feds into California in order to break-up their medical marijuana facilities ... legal at the state level. Chaney/Bush wanted to use Marshal Law by sending the National Guard into Buffalo for what turned out to be an overblown Terrorism event. Had they remained in power, they were poised to use the War on Terrorism to create an uber-Washington. They used the Patriot Act to enable Big Government Bureaucrats to intercept domestic phone and web communications. Watch what happens if we get attacked again. The Republicans are going to use fear to create the most powerful Washington anyone has ever imagined. Don't get me wrong. We all want safety. But, only the Republicans think government is competent enough to effectively wield such centralized power. The rest of us realize that centralized power in Washington is much more dangerous than a petty dictator from Iraq. We all want to get rid of evil doers and make a more perfect world, but only Republicans trust bureaucrats to execute the feel-good illusion of perfect safety. The rest of us value freedom over security - and we accept the danger in sky scrapers or airliners. Risk is part of life. Life is not fair. Life is dangerous. Unfortunately, Republicans can't accept the natural dangers of life, so they cling to Big Brother for an illusory safety. Republican surveillance and military policies don't make us safer, they only make Washington bigger and more powerful and more expensive.

You should check out right leaning information sources like the CATO Institute. You will learn that Reagan's slice of the Cold War grew federal defense bureaucracies and budgets larger and more centralized than anything FDR or LBJ ever dreamed. The real problem is that we have an uneducated electorate who get the lion's share of their information from government, i.e., Movement Conservatism, which feeds information into a web of think, publishing groups, and media sources. You have to separate yourself from political news sources like FOX News, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, Glen Beck, etc. You have to try to get at these big issues by studying actual policies. We need your help.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back