Rodney King wounded in shooting

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Nevadamedic, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Nevadamedic

Nevadamedic Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +178
    RIALTO, California (CNN) -- Rodney King, whose 1991 police beating sparked widespread rioting in Los Angeles and other U.S. cities, was recovering Thursday after being slightly wounded by gunfire.

Rialto, California, Police Department Sgt. Don Lewis said King was grazed on his face, arms, back and torso. The wounds were superficial. A shotgun was believed to have been the weapon used.

Lewis said that after King was shot Wednesday night, he rode his bicycle from San Bernardino to his home in Rialto, before calling police about 11:40 p.m.

Information on possible suspects or the hospital where King was treated were not immediately available.

Amateur video captured King's beating after Los Angeles police officers stopped him for speeding March 3, 1991. Police beat King repeatedly, delivering 56 baton blows and six kicks -- causing skull fractures, and brain and kidney damage.

Four officers were charged with assault with a deadly weapon and excessive use of force but were acquitted of state charges on April 29, 1992.

The three days of rioting that followed left 55 people dead and 2,000 injured. There were 12,000 arrests and about $1 billion in property damage in Los Angeles.

Two of the officers, Sgt. Stacey Koon and officer Laurence Powell, were later convicted of federal civil rights violations.

Since then, King has had a handful of run-ins with the law, including a guilty plea in 2004 to driving under the influence of a controlled substance and reckless driving.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/29/rodney.king.shot/index.html

This guy is such a pain in the ass. He is a career criminal and a drug addict.

2. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    And he had the gall to protest cops beating the living shit out of him. When will these ******* learn, right Nevada?

3. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    The cops were fitted up.

4. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,108
    King has been in trouble off and on ever since he hit the news back in '91. First his refusal to pull over during that high speed pursuit that started it all, then there were drug issues, domestic abuse issues and other assorted problems. The guy obviously has issues and I do not believe that they stem solely from his encounter with the cops back in '91. My understanding is that he had been in trouble before the chase and the pattern continues.

On another note, the local news reporting the story here ended their report with a line that went something like this:

Rodney Kings beating at the hands of police led to the 1992 riots.

Uh...No, the aquittal of the cops involved in the beating led the 1992 riots.

Anyway, Rodney King is a loser and has yet to find a way to stay out of trouble, legal or otherwise.

5. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    I think that the cops over did it when they were beating on a person who was on his hands and knees. Anyway, I might be wrong or right. My main point here is that each case should be judged on its own merits. Things that happened concerning King in the early 1990’s should have noting to do with the resolution of this recent incident. What happened years ago does not justify King being shot in 2007.

6. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,108
    All I can say is that he should have pulled over. I am fairly confident that excessive force was used, at least in my opinion, but not being a cop I can't say for certain. I do know that studies have been done that pertain to cops and high speed pursuits that basically say that, at the end, with all the adrenaline flowing and the lives put at risk, it's surprising that the beatings don't happen more often.

I agree with you here,, but my point is simply that King has done little or nothing to change the way he lives and as such continues to find himself in situations that most of us can not begin to fathom. This recent incident, I believe, is just an extension of that.

I say the same of my daughter. She constantly makes bad decisions, puts herself in situations and locales, gets in trouble, winds up in jail and then wonders why. She finds herself in a bar and in a fight in a bad part of town, a part of town she hangs out in, and wonders how it always happens to her. Well, it happens because she refuses to change the things she does and the decisions she makes.

She is twenty four years old and there is nothing her mother or I can do to help her, she refuses to accept the help we offer. I love her and always will, but she is a loser.

7. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Dammmmmmmmmmn.

8. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,108
    We've got two others, so far they seem okay. LOL.

Seriously though, and in her defense, there are some underlying mental health issues involved. She knows about them and doesn't seek help. We did everything we could for her until she turned eighteen and decided she knew more than we did about what she needed and moved out.

It's heartbreaking to say the least, but at some point you can do nothing but step back and draw a line denoting the engths you are willing to go to unless or until a person gets the help they need. She knows where that line is. It's up to her now.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,295
    Anyone who watched that beating and thinks it wasn't excessive force is engaging in that wonderful human feat called reality denial. But if Rodney were a car he'd be sent back as a real lemon.

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The fact that the cops were out of control and abused their authority does not negate the fact that Rodney King is an idiot, and has had frequent run-ins with law enforcement.

I see at least he has been smart enough to ride a bicycle while intoxicated nowadays instead of driving a car.:rofl: