Rocky

Saw this last night, first time for many years. I queued up to watch this in the cinema as a lad and I remember all the lads shadow boxing back to the chippy where a fight broke out. Classic movie and in my opinion very sspecial.

Basically its a run-of-the-mill rags-to-riches story that glorifies the underdog and America as the land of opportunity. What drags it into the halls of greatness is the performance of the Great Welsh Actor Burgess Meredith. Every scene he is in is a masterclass in acting as he dominates young Stallone. Its riveting stuff.

Catch it before the snowflakes cancel it.
IMHO, Rocky ties with Raging Bull for the greatest boxing movie. The storyline is trite, underdog fighting against insurmountable odd, is victorious. Stallone was perfect for the part. Burgess Meredith as Rocky's manager earned him a Oscar nomination. Thankfully, Burt Reynolds was too busy to do the movie as he was the first choice for the roll of Rocky. The theme music playing with Rocky training and running up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art has become a metaphor for an underdog rising to accomplish his dream.

What made the movie emotional for some was his goal was not winning just to go the distance . The camera shot looking from overhead with the crowd gathering around the winner Apollo Creed and Rocky alone hugging his girlfriend is classic.

Rocky three was the best. I liked the music in Rocky 1 and it was a good story. Burgess Meredith was a top class actor. He was George in the movie of Steinbach's of Mice and Men. And a lot of of good roles on T.V. such as The Twilight Zone and with John Wayne in In Harms way.

I was just about to tell you that you were wrong and that Gary Sinise played George.

Looking into it a bit more, though, I have to admit I had no idea there was a 1939 version of the film!

I was just about to tell you that you were wrong and that Gary Sinise played George.

Looking into it a bit more, though, I have to admit I had no idea there was a 1939 version of the film!
OMG!

That was the classic version of Mice and Men with Lon Chaney Jr and Burgess Meredith

But the Gary Sinise version was very well done

OMG!

That was the classic version of Mice and Men with Lon Chaney Jr and Burgess Meredith

But the Gary Sinise version was very well done

I love that movie. It's a mystery to me how John Malkovich didn't even get nominated for an Oscar for that performance...

IMHO, Rocky ties with Raging Bull for the greatest boxing movie. The storyline is trite, underdog fighting against insurmountable odd, is victorious. Stallone was perfect for the part. Burgess Meredith as Rocky's manager earned him a Oscar nomination. Thankfully, Burt Reynolds was too busy to do the movie as he was the first choice for the roll of Rocky. The theme music playing with Rocky training and running up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art has become a metaphor for an underdog rising to accomplish his dream.

Requiem For A Heavyweight starring Gleason and Quin is a great and tragic boxing movie ..

Saw this last night, first time for many years. I queued up to watch this in the cinema as a lad and I remember all the lads shadow boxing back to the chippy where a fight broke out. Classic movie and in my opinion very sspecial.

Basically its a run-of-the-mill rags-to-riches story that glorifies the underdog and America as the land of opportunity. What drags it into the halls of greatness is the performance of the Great Welsh Actor Burgess Meredith. Every scene he is in is a masterclass in acting as he dominates young Stallone. Its riveting stuff.

Catch it before the snowflakes cancel it.
Yes, it's a rags to riches story which has been a basic plot for hundreds of movies and books but the difference is it's all done so well. There no real surprises in the movie. We know how it's going to end after the first few scenes but the acting of Stallone, probably the best of his career, a great script and music makes this one of the great sport's movies of all times. Today, it will seen a bit dated for younger audiences, since it was made in the 70's in Philadelphia capturing the look and style of the era. However, the movie is likely to leave audiences with a smile on their face regardless of age.

Weathers

Stallone is basically a body builder, Weathers built up his muscles on the football field.

I was about to say the same thing. Weathers played football so he could endure a hit to the body.
thats what was such a joke about Rocky 4,That was the downfall of the Rocky movies. Rocky wasnt able to beat Mr T without the help of Appollo. He had to learn from him to be able to beat him. Plus when Appollo and his buddy are watching film of the first fight between Rocky and Clubber,his pal says MAN THAT CLUBBERS STRONG,WE GOT TO PUT HIM AWAY EARLY.I FIGURE WITH CLUBBERS STRENGTH AND SIZE,ROCKY CAN LAST ABOUT 3 OR 4 ROUNDS WITH HIM AT THE MOST,WE GOT TO PUT HIM AWAY EARLY.

And sure enough,to beat him Rocky DID have to put him away early.Appollos trairer knew what he was talking about.

Rocky would never have lasted 15 rounds with Drago.He was even much stronger than Lang. He was a superhuman,that does not work for a Rocky movie. He would have died in that ring as well. Even Holifield said the same thing.

On a Rocky marathon he would talk about the movies in between commercials and he also said Rocky 4 was his least favorite movie saying no human being could survive that kind of punishment Rocky took in the first round,that in real life,that fight would have been stopped at that point.

Rocky 4 and 5 never should have happened,should have just ended it as a trilogy with Rocky 3. I like to pretend 4 and 5 never happened.That it ended with Rocky 3 and then jumped over to Rocky Balboa.

I was about to say the same thing. Weathers played football so he could endure a hit to the body.
thats what was such a joke about Rocky 4,That was the downfall of the Rocky movies. Rocky wasnt able to beat Mr T without the help of Appollo. He had to learn from him to be able to beat him. Plus when Appollo and his buddy are watching film of the first fight between Rocky and Clubber,his pal says MAN THAT CLUBBERS STRONG,WE GOT TO PUT HIM AWAY EARLY.I FIGURE WITH CLUBBERS STRENGTH AND SIZE,ROCKY CAN LAST ABOUT 3 OR 4 ROUNDS WITH HIM AT THE MOST,WE GOT TO PUT HIM AWAY EARLY.

And sure enough,to beat him Rocky DID have to put him away early.Appollos trairer knew what he was talking about.

Rocky would never have lasted 15 rounds with Drago.He was even much stronger than Lang. He was a superhuman,that does not work for a Rocky movie. He would have died in that ring as well. Even Holifield said the same thing.

On a Rocky marathon he would talk about the movies in between commercials and he also said Rocky 4 was his least favorite movie saying no human being could survive that kind of punishment Rocky took in the first round,that in real life,that fight would have been stopped at that point.

Rocky 4 and 5 never should have happened,should have just ended it as a trilogy with Rocky 3. I like to pretend 4 and 5 never happened.That it ended with Rocky 3 and then jumped over to Rocky Balboa.
The fact that anyone would think Stallone had any real boxing ability is a credit to his acting ability, not his boxing ability. It is true that he has always been a boxing fan and he trained for 5 months for the part, body building and learning boxing moves, falls, and punches. His training for the ring was much like wrestlers training. He used two stunt doubles in the filming. It took 10 days to film the first fight scene and weeks to film the championship fight.

Last edited:

The only film that was credible was the original. You had a man with some potential to be better given a shot against a World Champion who did not train well for the bout. This movie cost about a million dollars to film. And you can see it a little as it was not a high cost movie. There are people who believe it was loosely based on a boxer named Chuck Wepner a white man known as The Bayonne Bleeder. The sequels became Hollywoodized. The Art Museum in Philly did not like the statue as it was not Art to the people who run it. So it was moved around over the years to the Sports Complex, put into a rafter of a home for awhile and then on a lawn near the bottom of the step of the museum. The thing is, it brought more people as customers to the museum.

The only film that was credible was the original. You had a man with some potential to be better given a shot against a World Champion who did not train well for the bout. This movie cost about a million dollars to film. And you can see it a little as it was not a high cost movie. There are people who believe it was loosely based on a boxer named Chuck Wepner a white man known as The Bayonne Bleeder. The sequels became Hollywoodized. The Art Museum in Philly did not like the statue as it was not Art to the people who run it. So it was moved around over the years to the Sports Complex, put into a rafter of a home for awhile and then on a lawn near the bottom of the step of the museum. The thing is, it brought more people as customers to the museum.
People came to the Art Museum just to run up the steps and dance around the Rocky statue.

Nobody wanted to see their crappy art
Museum got jealous and ditched the statue

The producers accomplished their goal. Rocky, which as you said cost about a million to make had a world wide box office of 225 million. The francize of the 9 Rocky movies cost 112 million and made 1.5 billion.
Rocky Franchise Box Office History - The Numbers

When I first saw it I really enjoyed it as did most people.

However, in the last few years when I watched it seemed to have lost its luster. I don't think it is because of me knowing the story or just seeing it several times.

What I really think it has to do with the fact that Stallone made so many cheesy movies after that so I don't view his Rocky character as being sincere.

That movie was great acting from Stallone but everything after that was pretty much trash.

Weathers

Stallone is basically a body builder, Weathers built up his muscles on the football field.
I worked with/for Sly in the nineties. Great guy.
He said " he becomes what he needs to become"
He's a lil dude....5"6 tops. 125 off duty
Have contract ?
He'll go 170 in 6 weeks
Make sure you have a brand new pen.Those zer00000000000000000000000000000000 need ink $$

Forum List

Back