Robocalls!!!!

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
How can a country like the US allow its phone system to be taken over by criminals?

How robocalls became America's most prevalent crime

Two inventions are behind the robocall scourge. Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) dialing — the technology used by apps like Skype — lets scammers place millions of calls a day, costing just $0.006 per minute if a call is answered. The other breakthrough is "neighborhood spoofing," which disguises robocalls to appear on caller ID with the same area code as the number being dialed, instead of an 800 number or distant area code. By one estimate, 90 percent of scam calls from abroad now show up as U.S. numbers.

That's the reason I bought a call blocker.

Unknown phone number?

Hit the button, never rings again.

(Personally, I'd like a system that, when I hit the button, blows up the callers phone)

How can a country like the US allow its phone system to be taken over by criminals?

Two inventions are behind the robocall scourge. Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) dialing — the technology used by apps like Skype — lets scammers place millions of calls a day, costing just $0.006 per minute if a call is answered. The other breakthrough is "neighborhood spoofing," which disguises robocalls to appear on caller ID with the same area code as the number being dialed, instead of an 800 number or distant area code. By one estimate, 90 percent of scam calls from abroad now show up as U.S. numbers.
Typically the ones I get even match the prefix with only the last four digits slightly off my phone number. Put the number on block, and they change a couple of digits.
Who actually answers these calls?
If not on my phone ID it goes to voicemail. If I don't know the number I never answer.

I get about 10 of these a day.

I have the HiYa app, which helps.

Typically the ones I get even match the prefix with only the last four digits slightly off my phone number. Put the number on block, and they change a couple of digits.
If not on my phone ID it goes to voicemail. If I don't know the number I never answer.
*sigh* Deceitful methods of getting people to answer unwanted calls abound... Good post.

I don't answer the phone. My phone does not ring. My intro message to callers is generic.

You wanna talk to me? Leave a message. If I don't know you or have business with your company, you are erased unheard.

*sigh* Deceitful methods of getting people to answer unwanted calls abound... Good post.
Enough folks must answer these calls and fall for sales and scams over the phone for them to continue this annoying practice.
I ignore far more calls than I actually take. You think they would learn that my number isn't going to bite.

Enough folks must answer these calls and fall for sales and scams over the phone for them to continue this annoying practice.
I ignore far more calls than I actually take. You think they would learn that my number isn't going to bite.
When I get a fake call, I answer "hello" and count to 3. If no one says anything after 3 seconds, I hang up. It's likely a call that is just for finding out if you're home, then it takes a few seconds to get to the next salesperson. I don't want to waste my time on stuff I can't afford anyhow. When I want something I go get it.

I’ve gotten to the point where I have abandoned my land line. I still have it but just refuse to answer it anymore and rarely check the messages. When I do check, 80 percent are robocalls

I’ve gotten to the point where I have abandoned my land line. I still have it but just refuse to answer it anymore and rarely check the messages. When I do check, 80 percent are robocalls
I disconnected about 15 years ago and went strictly cell phone. Didn't get bothered for years but now seems relentless. On some through T- mobile it actually says scam likely.

I loved those Social Security calls telling me my number had been cancelled

Why do so many people who work for Social Security have foreign accents?

Anymore, .most robocalls no longer leave messages if the call is sent to voicemail...…..and most reputable calls do.

So if you don't leave a message it's safe to assume you have no legitimate business calling me

Forum List

Back