Robert Gates: How civics education became a national security issue

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Robert Gates is worried about America’s political paralysis.

Public knowledge about how the government works is lagging. Bipartisan compromise seems to be a relic of the past. It’s enough for Gates — the former defense secretary, CIA director and higher education official — to be concerned about the state of civics education in American schools.
For him, it’s a matter of national security.

Gates spoke to POLITICO following a keynote discussion at the CivXNow Policy Summit, a virtual confab assembled last week by a 170-member coalition intent on advancing federal and state legislation to bolster classroom teaching about self-government.

I am still not a fan of Politico.

I don't think that I have seen any cuts to civics in education. It is either done well or it's not.

Robert Gates is worried about America’s political paralysis.

Public knowledge about how the government works is lagging. Bipartisan compromise seems to be a relic of the past. It’s enough for Gates — the former defense secretary, CIA director and higher education official — to be concerned about the state of civics education in American schools.
For him, it’s a matter of national security.

Gates spoke to POLITICO following a keynote discussion at the CivXNow Policy Summit, a virtual confab assembled last week by a 170-member coalition intent on advancing federal and state legislation to bolster classroom teaching about self-government.

I am still not a fan of Politico.

I don't think that I have seen any cuts to civics in education. It is either done well or it's not.
Civics is no longer a requirement for graduation from high school. It is randomly touched on in Western History classes.

Civics is no longer a requirement for graduation from high school. It is randomly touched on in Western History classes.
That depends on what state you live in.

Forum List

Back