Rise In Homeless Female Vets Tied To Military Sexual Abuse

Discussion in 'Military' started by High_Gravity, Aug 17, 2011.

1. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726

[​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    HuffPuff?

Really?

Oh well.

3. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    They have some interesting articles on Huffy Puffy.

4. lilbug

lilbug Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Hmm...at my last doctor's visit at my VA clinic, my physician asked me if I ever experienced sexual abuse in the Army....I thought it was an odd question for him to be asking out of context for the reason I was there.

I don't know...I have so many thoughts on this, my brain is a little scrambled, but I am leaning toward on the side suspicion on this article.

You can be sure sexual harassment and abuse does occur, but I find it difficult to believe a woman who has survived basic training, which undoubtedly is much tougher than when I was in, training for her position, been to Iraq/Afg., does not have the courage and fortitude to report sexual harassment/abuse. Certainly, being part of the one the biggest 'good ol' boy' organizations in existence is a deterent, but from my experience, the women I served with took no crap, and if they didn't deal with it themselves by knocking the living shit out of you, they would not hesitate to report it, either to chain of command or someone, a friend, who summarily 'handled' the situation unofficially.

There's an internal 'good ol' boy' system in place...the guys who look out for the gals behind the scenes, who took it upon themselves to deal with perpetrators, these included enlisted and officers. Either there was some kind of 'disciplinary' action, official or otherwise, and/or the perp was transferred out.
    If a vet is disabled to the point of not being able to hold down a job, then they are entitled, as are we all, to disability and low-income housing, and for those who served their full life term, they have their retirement, either until they are able to receive counseling and again be able to reintegrate, or permanently, so I don't get why they are homeless based on sexual harassment PTSD in and of itself.
    I also find it difficult to believe that these resourceful women are not able to/would not discover resources and seek them out on their own. My first visit to the clinic I was informed there was a female social worker/counselor on staff, a female nurse practitioner, as well as my physician.

Could it be these vets are homeless the same way many folks are, because there are simply no jobs, and the sexual harassment part of it is being exploited and/or abused by the women themselves or the system, or for political gain? And, if indeed sexual harassment PTSD is the issue, I find it difficult to believe they are unable to find the resources they need in existing programs. Reluctance to report these offenses is not a military issue, it is societal one for every woman every where, in all walks of life so again, I don't get the vet spin on this. Make the process of reporting them 'friendlier', the resources available for all women, not just the vets. And....there are homeless women and children on the streets who are not vets and their families....what about them? They idea of singling out vets here does not sit well with me, makes me suspicious...make the system work for all of us.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    I don't know because obviously a man this is something I never really gone through, when I was in the service I served with units that had a zero tolerance policy towards sexual harassment. I know sexual harassment and rape are troubling issues in some places in the Military, the Air Force Academy for one has a horrible reputation for it and the deployed locations in Iraq and Afghanistan do as well. No matter if a female Soldier went through basic traininig theres really not too much she can if she gets attacked and raped by a bigger male soldier or more than 1 of them, this is troubling because if this is happening as often as they say it shows a real break down in the chain of command in the Military, we are showing that we cannot protect the women in the US military.

6. cootydog

cootydog Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Some woman are going to cry sexual harassment just because they can. If a woman can't handle it in a mans world maybe she should not join the military. Im sure there are exceptions to the rule there always is but for the most part women do not need to be combat soldiers and if they were able o make it in a mans army Im inclined to think they are only homeless if they choose to be. being in the military has nothing to do with them being anything but better once they get out. women should remain barefoot and pregnant where they belong.

7. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    I worked as a mover for 11 years. I ran into a couple of women movers that could probably kick your ass.

Man..I wish you guys were in the same room.

And trust me. You wouldn't want to be "sexually harrassed" by them. They made bulldogs look sexy. :lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    You are a fucking retard.:cuckoo:

9. lilbug

lilbug Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I don't know, High. Think the military has changed a whole bunch since I was in. Although we were increasing in number, women in the military were still kind of a phenomenon in a lot of ways. Some of the guys didn't know quite how to take us...stood around with their hands in their pockets kinda bewildered, others resented us for being there and others....well, regarded us a objects for their amusement. There was a lot of sexual harassment, nothing as overt for me as an attempted attack. Most of it from the guys who'd been in a while. There were 6 instances I experienced, and it started in basic. One involving a 1st Sgt., one a 2nd Lt. one a Cpt, one a Sgt. Major and 2 SFCs, all were married and thought they might try to start a little something on the side....but I never felt threatened, I ignored their advances, and I don't know exactly what happened. There always seemed to be an unseen force protecting me, and one by one, as each incident occurred, these guys were quietly transferred out. Attitudes have changed though with women serving now in more than just supportive roles, and with fewer of the 'old' military guys and attitude existent, and some of the folks enlisting now not the same kind of folks that enlisted back then. Not sure at all I am explaining this well, but I hope you get my jist.

10. lilbug

lilbug Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    See, High?...This is part of what I was saying above.

Not sure what century you're living in, the military has long since not been just a man's world, but I don't know if you have noticed, women have been competing in a 'man's world' whether they were in the military or not since the beginning of time, and it's just this kind of attitude that has kept a lot of women afraid or unable to advance in careers that suited them well.

Women have fought hard and come a long way since the days when men use to drag us by the hair of the head back to their cave. Some of their issues I don't agree with, but their struggles opened a lot of doors for women, doors that should have always been open to us, and I am grateful for that. Women now, even barefoot and pregnant can and will wipe the floor with your behind.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011