Rise and fall of Ted Williams

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by MaggieMae, Jan 13, 2011.

1. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    This poor guy's 15 minutes of fame was so predictable. He was a mess, and thank God someone stepped in and got him into rehab where he has a real chance to clean up his act.

I've never thought of Dr. Phil as being anything much more than a bloviating quasi-shrink more interested in stardom than healing, but I have to say, he took the bulls by the horn with this one. (Although it also made for good TV!)

Ted met with his estranged family in the segment aired on Wednesday, and it was all hugging and kissing and promises. Come to find out, there was a huge brawl in the hotel room the night after that meeting, cops were called and Ted and daughter Shanya hauled off to jail (but later released). So Dr. Phil got them all together again, and it was revealed that Ted had been drinking all along (from LA to NY and every spot in between).

What were the people who smothered him with money, jobs, and golden promises thinking? That someone with a 20-year history of drug/alcohol abuse would miraculously be cured if he was suddenly showered with material things? All that did was literally feed his addiction, and feed it well.

KUDOS to Dr. Phil for recognizing that immediately and getting him on the show, where I'm sure Ted Williams thought he was going to be lavished with even more praise, but got the surprise of his life when Dr. Phil made him face reality and got him into rehab.

Although I think the statistics are still dim for sustained recovery after rehab (3 in 10), this guy has a helluva lot waiting for him once he does get clean. I really hope he makes it. What a role model he could be for other suffering addicts who just can't make it on the outside.

2. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    I'm sorry to hear he was drinking and needed rehab. I dunno why, but I guess I was one of the goofballs who thought he could turn his life around on a dime.

I hope he gets better.

3. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    Dr. Phil is a douchebag hack who would use his own mother if it would grab him another 15 minutes.

Taking psychological advice from him is like asking a fish how to ride a bicycle.

Now, opportunism, marketing, and shock......those are his true areas of expertise.

4. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    This isn't about Dr. Phil.
    ---->whoosh---->

5. Sheldon

Sheldon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,330
    Damn. Not sure how I feel about this. I had heard about him getting detained because of the public fight he was having with his daughter or whatever, but no idea about the whole Dr Phil thing.

Part of me is glad he'll be going to rehab and that he can hopefully get over his addiction.

Another part of me thinks, Dr P is just exploiting this guy. Dude's life did a 180 overnight. He probably had trouble coping with that, like the world just dropped onto his shoulders, and ran back to something that was familiar and comfortable to him: booze. If the employers are willing to pay him for his voice even if he's drinking, then let him resolve this issue on his own and with those he's close with. I hate to see this shit, this real life stuff, played out in front of millions of people. He probably feels humiliated.

6. Revere

Revere BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Ted has been in and out of rehab for years. There's no way he was sober if he was still on the street.

Goes to show you the problem with homelessness is not a lack of a haircut, shave, some nice clothes, and a place to sleep.

7. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    How humiliating is it to stand on a street corner, filthy, holding a crude sign begging for a job? He'll get over the humiliation of an intervention. And, as I said, the job offers and other media attention will still be there when he gets clean. That was NOT an option when he was in prior rehabs.

8. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Nope. But nobody wants to place a priority on dealing with addiction, which is rampant these days. I remember watching a press conference called by Joseph Califano, who dedicates his life now to the problems created by addiction, which was to discuss his foundation's findings on teen addiction to prescription drugs. Guess how many reporters showed up. Three.

9. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    Ok Maggie,

I bet Ted's gonna fail again.

There.

Happy now?

10. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received: