RIP Niki Lauda

westwall

WHEN GUNS ARE BANNED ONLY THE RICH WILL HAVE GUNS
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2010
Nevada
I just read on the BBC that legendary F1 driver Niki Lauda had passed away.

A truly remarkable, incredibly tough, and brave man.

After his accident, Mr. Lauda could have gathered his thoughts, and made himself the face of a movement to end this ghoulish insanity - men senselessly driving around in circles at breakneck speed, risking life and limb for no reason whatsoever. Obviously, there was no such insight, and no such movement, and the insanity continues to this day.

RIP, Mr. Lauda!

I think very few Americans understand the skill needed to drive one of those Formula cars. And now, drivers almost need engineering degrees to be able to get behind the wheel of those things.

Lauda was a pioneer.

I think very few Americans understand the skill needed to drive one of those Formula cars. And now, drivers almost need engineering degrees to be able to get behind the wheel of those things.

Lauda was a pioneer.

Seems to me I saw a bit one time where they put NASCAR drivers in Formula 1's and they had a heck of a time trying to drive them on a road course. Maybe it was someone other than NASCAR, cannot recall. It was people who you would think would know how to drive them.

My old neighbor traveled the world with some Formula 1 team as a mechanic. He thought it was insane how much money they spend, but he wasn't looking a gift horse in the mouth.

In his day, he was the best in his sport
His comeback after a fiery wreck is something of legend

Lauda was a pioneer.

Seems to me I saw a bit one time where they put NASCAR drivers in Formula 1's and they had a heck of a time trying to drive them on a road course. Maybe it was someone other than NASCAR, cannot recall. It was people who you would think would know how to drive them.

My old neighbor traveled the world with some Formula 1 team as a mechanic. He thought it was insane how much money they spend, but he wasn't looking a gift horse in the mouth.
RIP Niki.
The last time I saw him he was with TW in the Merc. padok.
Niki was rumoured to be ailing.
He and JS were the F! drivers who worked the hardest to improve driver/fan safety.

Quite a guy of a racer. In an era with even more dangers to the drivers of the time. He burned badly but came back quickly, although perhaps not the best decision in retrospect.

For all his physical suffering and scarring though it was the loss of his Lauda Air flight and all onboard that led him to later work for airline industry safety issues and whatnot.

One of the good ones exits pit road for the last time...

I remember watching him on Wide World of Sports

He was an international rock star

I just read on the BBC that legendary F1 driver Niki Lauda had passed away.

A truly remarkable, incredibly tough, and brave man.

Yes he was an he was an incredible formula 1 driver.

I remember when he crashed and got burned in his car. Other drivers stopped, which is something they never do, to get him out of his car. He was an extremely popular guy.

He also ran Lauda air. One incredible man.

He will be missed.

RIP

After his accident, Mr. Lauda could have gathered his thoughts, and made himself the face of a movement to end this ghoulish insanity - men senselessly driving around in circles at breakneck speed, risking life and limb for no reason whatsoever. Obviously, there was no such insight, and no such movement, and the insanity continues to this day.

RIP, Mr. Lauda!

What you call insanity I call mans quest for improvement. The safety technologies developed from auto racing now make ALL driving safer for everybody.

Man is pushing himself always. Some choose to conquer, some choose to race.

I will support the racers endeavors over the conquerors every time because almost always the only casualties are the racers.

Lauda was a pioneer.

RIP Niki.
The last time I saw him he was with TW in the Merc. padok.
Niki was rumoured to be ailing.
He and JS were the F! drivers who worked the hardest to improve driver/fan safety.

Niki had a lung transplant 9 months ago. Yes, he was not a well man. He was still in the paddock though!

Lauda was a pioneer.
Not only that but you have to be a little spidery guy...If you're taller than 5' 6" and weigh more than 150 lb, you can't fit into the cars if you were dipped in oil.

RIP, Mr. Lauda!

What you call insanity I call mans quest for improvement. The safety technologies developed from auto racing now make ALL driving safer for everybody.

Man is pushing himself always. Some choose to conquer, some choose to race.

I will support the racers endeavors over the conquerors every time because almost always the only casualties are the racers.

You are right about racing technology making today's cars better and safer.
Seat belts.
Frame crash protection.
Disc brakes.
Fuel injection - although that dates back to the 1800s
Aerodynamics

Forum List

Back