Righting the Costa Concordia Begins

BullKurtz

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
Costa Concordia capsized off the coast of Italy in January 2012 when Captain Francesco Schettino decided to steer the massive cruise liner closer to the coastline to "wave at friends and relatives on the shore" tearing the underside on a shoal.....over 30 passengers were drowned, the ship is now suitable only for salvage, and the captain is being tried for multiple counts of manslaughter and abandoning his ship.

Secure the hull to the land using steel cables, to stop her falling deeper

Build a horizontal underwater platform below the ship

Bring the hull to vertical, by winching (or parbuckling) the hull onto the platform

Attach airtight tanks, called sponsons, to either side of the hull

Refloat the hull and tanks

Recovery tow to an Italian port

raising-the-wreck-concordia-salvage-plan-designboomthumb.gif

To safely remove the ship in one piece, it needs to be properly stabilized; salvage crews have driven temporary steel post supports into the shore, wrapping it in chains to avoid the concordia from slipping down the seabed and sinking. six steel platforms are drilled into the granite ground floor, giving the boat a place to safely land when flipped. to tip the ship, a 'parbuckling' process is used - hydraulic jacks will pull on cables connecting the to top of the caissons (water filled retaining structures) used on the platforms raising it upright. once flipped, welders will attach a secondary unit of caissons to the damaged side for reinforcement, which will later be drained, raising the ship afloat before being towed away with tugboats. illustrator dan foley has created a detailed infographic showing how the operation will be conducted:

<b>Video: </b>Costa Concordia salvage plan -- ktuu.com

Last edited:
The whole thing was hilarious. A married cruise ship captain trying top impress his much younger, blonde, pin cushion by playing "chicken" with his 2000 person cruise ship and the coastline...heheh.

• Banned
The whole thing was hilarious. A married cruise ship captain trying top impress his much younger, blonde, pin cushion by playing "chicken" with his 2000 person cruise ship and the coastline...heheh.

I guess I don't see the "humor" in 32 lost souls and a once-beautiful ship being dragged off a fragile seabed to be salvaged for scrap.

I guess I don't see the "humor" in 32 lost souls and a once-beautiful ship being dragged off a fragile seabed to be salvaged for scrap.

Obviously, you don't have a sense of humor.

The entire incident is an exercise in irony..."The Love Boat"....heheh.

Love, exciting and new
Come Aboard. We're expecting you.
Love, life's sweetest reward.
Let it flow, it floats back to you.
The Love Boat soon will be making another run
The Love Boat promises something for everyone
Set a course for adventure,
Your mind on a new romance.
Love won't hurt anymore
It's an open smile on a friendly shore.

Yes LOVE! It's LOVE!
Love Boat soon will be making another run
The Love Boat promises something for everyone
Set a course for adventure,
Your mind on a new romance.
Love won't hurt anymore
It's an open smile on a friendly shore.
It's LOVE! It's LOVE! It's LOVE!
It's the Love Boat-ah! It's the Love Boat-ah!

Love-Boat.jpg

Last edited:
  • Banned

My sense of humor doesn't include bodies floating or crushed in submerged chambers. I've seen and delivered more than my share of death....obviously you haven't and see this as some sort of cartoon...enjoy your extended childhood while you can....when reality comes calling that smirk on your face will disappear in short order.

My sense of humor doesn't include bodies floating or crushed in submerged chambers. I've seen and delivered more than my share of death....obviously you haven't and see this as some sort of cartoon...enjoy your extended childhood while you can....when reality comes calling that smirk on your face will disappear in short order.

A hundred years ago a cruise ship captain threw caution to the wind to impress shareholders and "laid" his ship up on an iceberg and killed a thousand people. A year ago a cruise ship captain threw caution to the wind to get laid and "laid" his ship on a reef of rocks.

You don't see the irony?

• Banned

A hundred years ago a cruise ship captain threw caution to the wind to impress shareholders and "laid" his ship up on an iceberg and killed a thousand people. A year ago a cruise ship captain threw caution to the wind to get laid and "laid" his ship on a reef of rocks.

You don't see the irony?

"irony" maybe, humor no.

You don't see the irony?

"irony" maybe, humor no.

I'm thinking "reactive attachment disorder".

You don't see the irony?

"irony" maybe, humor no.

I'm thinking "reactive attachment disorder".

I take it that's not a good thing. :lol:

The scary moment is soon approaching when the ship's hull will balance on it's edge on the platform built below it....if it holds, the Costa Concordia will begin distributing it's weight onto the center of the cradle...if not it could collapse the structure, further rupture the hull, and make a recovery impossible.

I believe Fox has dropped it's stream in favor of the shipyard shooting but Huffy is still on this amazing engineering feat:

Costa Concordia Operation: Live Stream Shows Salvage Attempt (VIDEO)

Last edited:
The scary moment is soon approaching when the ship's hull will balance on it's edge on the platform built below it....if it holds, the Costa Concordia will begin distributing it's weight onto the center of the cradle...if not it could collapse the structure, further rupture the hull, and make a recovery impossible.

I believe Fox has dropped it's stream in favor of the shipyard shooting but Huffy is still on this amazing engineering feat:

Costa Concordia Operation: Live Stream Shows Salvage Attempt (VIDEO)

We're all on the edge of our seats...do tell us how it turns out.

Some simple math....the ship weighs 114,137 tons....then add in thousands of gallons of sea water covering her submerged decks and must be lifted at 8.34 lbs a gallon. Have they used the correct tensile-strength cables? Will the cradle, sunk into bedrock, assembled and welded underwater, hold this massive weight, particularly when it first starts to embrace the platform? Could the ship reach it's center-point and continue rolling onto it's other side, putting the already spent $1B down the drain and losing the ship on a long slide to the bottom of the Mediterranean? We will soon know.

Last edited:
Some simple math....the ship weighs 114,137 tons....then add in thousands of gallons of sea water covering her submerged decks and must be lifted at 8.34 lbs a gallon. Have they used the correct tensile-strength cables? Will the cradle, sunk into bedrock, assembled and welded underwater, hold this massive weight, particularly when it first starts to embrace the platform? Could the ship reach it's center-point and continue rolling onto it's other side, putting the already spent $1B down the drain and losing the ship on a long slide to the bottom of the Mediterranean? We will soon know.

I admit it is an engineering nightmare.

The question is...was the blonde bimbo worth it?

300px-Costa_Concordia_2.JPG

She was such a beauty.....diesel-electric engines......do 24 knots if they pushed her. Losing a ship is so sad, double sad when one is lost in such a manner.
sad_zpsf2041f8c.png

She was such a beauty.....diesel-electric engines......do 24 knots if they pushed her. Losing a ship is so sad, double sad when one is lost in such a manner.
sad_zpsf2041f8c.png

How was she lost?

How about taking a fucking hike you douchebag....I haven't been conversing with you and don't intend to since your juvenile jokes about this story. I'm bumping the thread to show the progress of the operation not to respond to your weak-suck comments, boy.

Last edited:

sad_zpsf2041f8c.png

How was she lost?

How about taking a fucking hike you douchebag....I haven't been conversing with you and don't intend to since your juvenile jokes about this story. I'm bumping the thread to show the progress of the operation not to respond to your weak-suck comments, boy.

Sorry, I'm having trouble getting a whole lot of emotion up about a foreign cruise line that hired the biggest dumbfuck as a captain who ran his 2000 person cruiseliner up on a reef 100 feet from the shore to impress his blonde bimbo pin cushion.

tumblr_libm1tpl071qc5afvo1_500.jpg

Forum List

Back