Right Speech

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
An old Sufi tradition advises us to speak only after our words have managed to pass through four gates. At the first gate, we ask ourselves, "Are these words true?" If so, we let them pass on; if not, back they go. At the second gate we ask; "Are they necessary?" At the third gate we ask; "Are they beneficial?" and at the fourth gate, we ask, "Are they kind?"

If the answer to any of these is no, then what you are about to say should be left unsaid.

An old Sufi tradition advises us to speak only after our words have managed to pass through four gates. At the first gate, we ask ourselves, "Are these words true?" If so, we let them pass on; if not, back they go. At the second gate we ask; "Are they necessary?" At the third gate we ask; "Are they beneficial?" and at the fourth gate, we ask, "Are they kind?"

If the answer to any of these is no, then what you are about to say should be left unsaid.

Interesting. I was reading a book of Meditation just last week and the write quoted three of those four gates. He left out the beneficial one.

Likely because If they are kind, they more than likely are beneficial.

I agree that we need to learn to control our tongues and minds a bit better than we have as a society. We have the right to speak freely. That doesn't mean it's good to speak without thought. To speak crudely or to speak hurtfully. It doesnt mean it's good lie.

All of our rights come with coresponding responsibilities. We have a responsibility to ourselves and to others to speak the truth. We have a responsibility to speak with kindness and charity. We have a responsibility to make our speech edifying. These are things we need to learn in order to truly be able to govern ourselves and make it so that we are a force for good in the world and not indifference or worse, evil.

I've especially been working on my speech lately. I've been trying to eliminate the sarcasm especially. It serves no purpose and is unkind. I failed earlier today though. I was very sarcastic. Old habits die hard sometimes.

If we followed all those rules, the board would be blank :)

I dont believe that's true. If each and every one of us followed these rules, I think we would all be having much more enlightening and edifying discussions.

There wouldn't be as many threads. We wouldnt be talking past each other through our pride and we would be able to trust one another and be more united, despite any differences we might have.

:eusa_eh:

So... :dunno: Where does that leave those of us who show a real talent for the true ART of bullshitting?

• Banned

So... :dunno: Where does that leave those of us who show a real talent for the true ART of bullshitting?

Bullshitting is pretending to abide by these four gates when you don't. The fact that you know you're bullshitting makes you halfway there already.

Bullshitting is pretending to abide by these four gates when you don't. The fact that you know you're bullshitting makes you halfway there already.

Not only that, I love bullshitting! Sticking only to my warped opinion means never having to defend myself without the benefit of being right.

Except of course when I change my mind. I can be just like a woman when I change my mind.

With the opportunity to develop more skills and abilities.

It leaves us nowhere, Joe.
It leaves us nowhere!

Down with Buddhist Philosophy!
They want us all to become "peace loving and enlighten" zombies!

Hey Sky Dancer, Right speech This!!:funnyface:

Are my words true? Are they necessary? Are they beneficial?

Tall order on a political forum.

Is an opinion true? I think so, in the relative sense.

It's true that I believe something that cannot be proved.

Before I post, I want to pause and ask myself WHY I want to post.

Last edited:
I've decided that if I really want to improve my speech posting on forums isn't the way to do it!:lol:

I've decided that if I really want to improve my speech posting on forums isn't the way to do it!:lol:

To each his/her own. It's helped me quite a bit. I used to be a shy recluse without much to say when I was a teen. I started posting on message boards and developed my voice and translated that back into everyday life.

To each his/her own. It's helped me quite a bit. I used to be a shy recluse without much to say when I was a teen. I started posting on message boards and developed my voice and translated that back into everyday life.

I've found that thinking, posting and most of all CONVERSING here on the board has made me more entertaining and engaging at cocktail parties.

The road to a congressional seat is paved with practice, practice, practice.

Forum List

Back