Richard Clarke and privilege?

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
Interesting...

This is the headlines at Drudge right now. I can't wait to hear the full story on this one.

1999: CLARKE REFUSED TO TESTIFY UNDER OATH; CITING PRIVILEGE

Originally posted by jimnyc
Interesting...

This is the headlines at Drudge right now. I can't wait to hear the full story on this one.

1999: CLARKE REFUSED TO TESTIFY UNDER OATH; CITING PRIVILEGE

maybe he thought he was a dema-god. they only thing I have to say to that asswipe is:finger3:

Yesterday Drudge was saying how Bob Woodward's book puts Dick Clarke's to shame with the amount of anti-bush stories. I think he said its due out April 16th.

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew
Yesterday Drudge was saying how Bob Woodward's book puts Dick Clarke's to shame with the amount of anti-bush stories. I think he said its due out April 16th.

Ahh, ok, thank you!

Here's more on the privilege story: (and funny, I don't recall the democrats crying foul back then)

National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice on Monday continued to maintain her public testimony before the panel investigating the Sept. 11 attacks would represent a breach of separation between congress and the executive -- a claim once used by Bush critic Richard Clarke!

MORE

On July 29, 1999, Richard Clarke was scheduled to appear before the Senate Special Committee on the Y2K computer scare.

Senator Bob Bennett (R-UT) chaired the hearing, and made the announcement that Richard Clarke would not be appearing before the committee -- due to a directive by the National Security Council.

The congressional record; Senator Bennett:

"Before the committee comes to order, I have some information to share with you which I'm sure will cause some consternation and disappointment. We were scheduled -- at the beginning of this gathering we agreed not to call that portion of it a hearing, to have a briefing from Mr. Richard Clarke. And many of you have been notified that he would be here and as recently as yesterday afternoon when I was with him, we were looking forward to his appearance and he was sharing with me some of the areas that he planned to discuss while he was here.

"Mr. Clarke, as many of you know, is the national coordinator for security and infrastructure protection and counterterrorism on the National Security Council.

"Last night, into the evening, we were notified that the legal staff of the National Security Council had determined that it would be inappropriate for Mr. Clarke to appear. I have just spoken to him on the telephone. The rule apparently is that any member of the White House staff who has not been confirmed is not to be allowed to testify before the Congress. They can perform briefings, but they are not to give testimony. And that in response to that rule, Mr. Clarke will not be coming.

http://www.drudgereport.com/rc1.htm

Originally posted by jon_forward
who the hell is woodward and what does he have to do with ....anything????

I'm guessing Bob woodward, of woodward and bernstien... the reporters who broke the watergate story. Just have to wait and see if his book amounts to anything.

Forum List

Back