Research Toward a Quantum Computer Makes Progress

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by onedomino, Jun 8, 2005.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    -

2. sagegirl

sagegirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42
    This stuff is so fascinating......just makes it impossible to imagine what may await us in the future....even the very near future....say 100 years.
    I just heard about the ability to produce nano robots, I think it is from a now dormant or extinct mold that will be potentially used for micro surgery.
    It is like we are crossing over some quantum barrier and discovering a whole new universe. WOW

3. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I once read that if quantum computers ever become practical, you will see computers with the power of a supercomputer that run on penlight batteries.....

Probably what will happen then is instead of posting text messages on USMB, we'll just meet in cyberspace in a virtual hologram, instead of avatars, we'll each have a three dimensional character (cartoon character, real person or otherwise) and instead of just reading the text of a poster you'll be able to hear them speak (probably with a selectable voice pattern)....

Can you imagine what this means for adult online services? Cybersex will be almost like the real thing..... that's scary.... of course, who'll want to be involved with a person? I wonder if a new type of sexual minority will arise, people who prefer to have sex with androids/robots..... they'll claim they were "born that way", want to be able to marry their hologram and adopt children..... but I'm getting off track.....

Or you'll be able to actually attend sporting events virtually as if you were actually there

Or sit in on a session of Congress as it happens....

Or go actually experience a news story

Of course, work will be different, you'll "go" to a meeting by sitting in cyberspace....

Phone calls will be replaced by something like a virtual living room that you can enter and talk to people such as your kids in college, your parents who retired to Florida, your relatives in Europe.....