Repuiblicans abandoning the anti gay agenda?

Sweet Willy

Rookie
May 20, 2009
Cheney has begun the slow turn from anti gay rhetoric to a more moderate position on gay marriage, saying that he has no problem with it. McCain's daughter has been vocal about a more open stance for gays in the Republican party.

Will the homophobes and evangelicals stand for it? What is the backlash and how much will it cost the Republicans?

Cheney has begun the slow turn from anti gay rhetoric to a more moderate position on gay marriage, saying that he has no problem with it. McCain's daughter has been vocal about a more open stance for gays in the Republican party.

Will the homophobes and evangelicals stand for it? What is the backlash and how much will it cost the Republicans?

Sorry to break the news to you, SW, but this has been Cheney's position for quite some time.

August 2004:

Cheney breaks rank on same-sex marriage:
Vice president refers to daughter as lesbian publicly for 1st time

• Banned

Sorry to break the news to you, SW, but this has been Cheney's position for quite some time.

August 2004:

I understand. But I'm not sure eveyone understands the position he takes. I do wonder that if talking about it, having it published, will have an effect on some party members who would probably prefer he didn't comment in public about it more than he has to.

I'm not sure that Cheney's position on the subject will matter. It's been widely known that this is his position for a while now and I think most people in "the party" recognize that it stems primarily from having a daughter who is a lesbian. He loves and accepts his daughter. There is no denying how his experiences with his daughter have helped form his opinion. I realize that his favoring same sex marriage would strike a lot of people as being incongruous with what they think they know about the man, but ultimately, he is a father who supports his kids. If people have a problem with that, meh, they can stuff it.

August 2004:

I understand. But I'm not sure eveyone understands the position he takes. I do wonder that if talking about it, having it published, will have an effect on some party members who would probably prefer he didn't comment in public about it more than he has to.

I think you put too much importance on what Chenney thinks or says...just like Biden. I could care less what Chenney's stance is on gay marriage. He doesn't have any pull in that arena....just like Biden doesn't have any pull in ... well.... ANY arena. I don't care what Biden says either. Except that is usually causes Robert Gibbs to cringe because he knows he is going to have to come up with a good explanation for what Biden REALLY was trying to say. And that always gives me some comic relief. I will say one thing for Gibbs... he's pretty good at covering up the gaffes and racial faux pas.

Slow turn? He moved his position 5 years ago! Backlash on the republicans? I don't see it costing anything. The sitting president opposes same sex marriage...what does that do to democrats? Oh...wait...nothing...he's not in a pageant.

I would argue his position is more of one of inclusion than almost anyone on the left on the matter of same sex marriage.

First of all, there is a very large percentage of Republicans who are not homophobes. It is just now that some are openly stating that they don't fit in that category. Secondly, there are plenty of homophobes in the Democratic party.

In the end, there won't be any backlash. Especially now, while we have so many serious problems, the whole gay thing is kind of taking a back seat except for a few of the zealots.

August 2004:

Don't confuse the partisan hack asshole with truth

Actually, it would be nice if they did focus on more prevalent topics, like economy and government control, I love their views on those and if they dropped all this "morals" crap I'd support them.

Considering the "anti-gay agenda" as you call it is as big a myth as the "religious right," the impact of two Republicans changing their stances, in YOUR opinion, will be negligible, at best.

One does not have to be homophobic to be against gay marriage, nor does one have to be an "evangelical."

You've got nothing here but projection based on rhetoric. Try again.

August 2004:

It would be hilarious to me if some Republicans, and or the mythical "anti" groups actually had as much power as you on the left would like for everyone to believe. At least they'd be entertaining.

And he also sees it as a states rights issue.

That is what I understand. I'm totally with him on the issue.

Just wondering how some of the hardliners might think about it.

Perhaps you should have addressed the hardliners on the subject rather than "Republicans" then? The hardliners against homosexuality I know of on this board are not necessarily and/or all Republicans.

If it was a simple matter of state's rights, it wouldn't be an issue. California is a perfect example. The pro-gay marriage faction refuse to accept the will of the majority and keep trying to use the courts to backdoor the state's legislation.

Seems Willy is another victim of the media shuck and jive.

I could be wrong and maybe the media is overstating the value of the anti gay issues to a segment of Republican voters.

I think you could be finally getting it. When this issue was "hot", the polls came down along these lines:

A majority of Americans were against "gay marriage."

A majority of over 80% believed homosexuality was abnormal behavior.

A majority of Americans had no problem with "civil union."

The vocal minority that speaks for the homosexual community rejected the latter, proving it isn't about the so-called legal benefits of being recognized as a couple by the state. Rather, it's more of the aberrant minority demanding complete legitimacy in the minds of others. In other words, forced though control.

The fact remains, it isn't about people being against homosexuals nor legal civil unions. It's about the vocal, in-your-face flamers of the homosexual community screwing it up for their own community.

The size and strength of the so-called "anti-gay agenda" is just another myth created by the left and perpetuated by the media until people believe it is as they say. It's fearmongering to keep a segment of voters in line.

Actually, it would be nice if they did focus on more prevalent topics, like economy and government control, I love their views on those and if they dropped all this "morals" crap I'd support them.

I think if you take a good look, the right isn't trying to shove any more morals down your throat than the left is. Yet another myth perpetrated and perpetuated by the left. Pick any thead on waterboarding, Abu Ghraib, the Iraq War and say it ain't so. The moral outrage is bursting at the seams.

Forcing morality onto others is forcing morality onto others, regardless how you choose to label, package and sell it.

With all the things happening that really are important, I find it difficult to understand why some people care so much about homos.

Forum List

Back