Republicans Block Bill To Extend Low Interest Rates For Student Loans

The pubs will come through. They want a trade off on something. The dems aren't agreeing at the moment. They will.

Yes, that whole keeping interest rates below what the market would charge has worked out so well for the housing industry, why not student loans?

Is there anything in which you wouldn't want the federal government to meddle? Anything?

Oh, and can you please point to the enumerated power in the Constitution that grants the federal government authority over student loans? I can't seem to locate it. :dunno:
It's up you ass....you know? The place where you keep your head?

Ah, another MENSA member here on our board I see. That's quite the compelling retort...well thought out, specific and backed with logic and reason. Impressive. I bet you were the captain on your high school debating team.

Just going with the mentality of the people who cry "communism" in just about every fucking thread.....hey....take the low road every once in a while.

Once again, Republicans show us who they work for. Their hatred of this president and his landmark health care law seeps from their pores. They would rather gut preventive health care funds (part of the ACA) than ask a small percentage of wealthy people to pay a little extra in order to prevent student loan interest rates from doubling.

Student Loan Vote: Republicans Block Bill To Extend Low Interest Rates

WASHINGTON -- Senate Republicans on Tuesday blocked a bill that would have frozen student loan interest rates before they are set to double on July 1.

In a partisan vote of 52 to 45, the Senate failed to reach the 60 votes needed to begin debate on the Democratic bill. Sen. Olympia Snowe (Maine) was the lone Republican to vote "present." A Snowe spokesman told The Huffington Post her vote was related to her practice of voting "present" on legislation that contains the potential or appearance of association with the private business activity of her husband.

The vote wasn't much of a surprise: Republicans have been signaling they would filibuster the bill because of its cost offsets. Democrats would cover the $6 billion cost of keeping student loan interest rates at 3.4 percent for another year by raising Social Security and Medicare payroll taxes on certain high-earners. By contrast, Republicans have called for nixing a preventive health fund to pay for it.

Ultimately, the vote gives Democrats another chance to try to frame Republicans as favoring the wealthy over the middle class in the midst of intensifying election-year politicking.

During debate on the bill, Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) said Republicans were "afraid" to agree to let it come up for debate because they would be forced to choose between helping college students and protecting the rich.

Only rich people deserve to be educated.

Everyone else should work in factories, digging ditches or forced to join the military.

I've never been rich,, and I've never been allergic to work.. I earned my own damn education. I didn't sit on the couch whining because someone wouldn't give it to me.

They would rather...

Yes, that whole keeping interest rates below what the market would charge has worked out so well for the housing industry, why not student loans?

Is there anything in which you wouldn't want the federal government to meddle? Anything?

Oh, and can you please point to the enumerated power in the Constitution that grants the federal government authority over student loans? I can't seem to locate it. :dunno:

Non Sequitur. Try again or fail.

I disagree but let me be clear. I stand against the idea of asking "a small percentage of wealthy people to pay a little extra in order to prevent student loan interest rates from doubling". I stand against this because I do not believe the federal government has any business meddling in student loans. If you consider that a non sequitur...I don't know, get thee a dictionary.

Nope, that is better than the silly analogy that fell flat.

I disagree with you, but I understand the logic of your argument now.

Oh, the rich people will benefit by trained graduates working for them because of those loans. Always, always it is better to use $$$ to create higher paying taxpayers than supporting folks on assistance.

Your bright, and I am right.

It's all part of the dirty tricks democrats are so adept at. They knew the plan was incoherent and ill conceived and now that republicans blocked it like they planned they have red meat to throw out to the ignorant left and they get another month reprieve before they have to defend Obama policies.

Always, always it is better to use $$$ to create higher paying taxpayers than supporting folks on assistance.

We shouldn't be redistributing taxpayer money at the federal level for education or assistance in my opinion. When the folks must muster their own efforts to thrive without relying on others, THAT'S when we'll get higher paying taxpayers.

Yup, your thinking is why the middle class was its most powerful from 1946 to 1976.

No GI bill, no NDEA, no Great Society that reduced poverty in five years from 26% to 18% (look it up).

Your opinion is wrong.

Let's make that single-parent head of family a taxpayer, not a welfare recipient, hmmm?

President Obama hails return to PAYGO

President Barack Obama is hailing pay-as-you-go budget legislation he signed Friday night as one in a series of crucial steps needed to snap Washington out of a destructive pattern of overspending.

“Now, Congress will have to pay for what it spends, just like everybody else,” Obama said in his radio and Internet address released Saturday morning. “After a decade of profligacy, the American people are tired of politicians who talk the talk but don’t walk the walk when it comes to fiscal responsibility. It’s easy to get up in front of the cameras and rant against exploding deficits. What’s hard is actually getting deficits under control. But that’s what we must do.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0210/32921. html#ixzz0 rtmEKJ00

Barry says ' On second thought, F that. I got free stuff I want to hand out.'

What I don't get is this......the students aren't getting free money. They are fucking LOANS! That means in addition to the principle, they are currently paying 3.?% interest on their debt. The government is going to collect that original money plus interest. There's no reason to raise taxes OR to cut to pay for this.

Yes...there are students who default.....but even if those people file for bankruptcy, those debts aren't eligible for forgiveness. They will get the money back eventually...they can even garnish wages to collect it.

They want to drop interest rates and they want the taxpaying public to offset the the drops..

In short taxpayers are paying for government loans, which is retarded because taxpayers are already funding the loans.

This is nothing more than a ploy by progressive to paint republicans in a bad right to gain a few more student votes...

Ah, another MENSA member here on our board I see. That's quite the compelling retort...well thought out, specific and backed with logic and reason. Impressive. I bet you were the captain on your high school debating team.

What I don't get is this......the students aren't getting free money. They are fucking LOANS! That means in addition to the principle, they are currently paying 3.?% interest on their debt. The government is going to collect that original money plus interest. There's no reason to raise taxes OR to cut to pay for this.

Yes...there are students who default.....but even if those people file for bankruptcy, those debts aren't eligible for forgiveness. They will get the money back eventually...they can even garnish wages to collect it.

They want to drop interest rates and they want the taxpaying public to offset the the drops..

In short taxpayers are paying for government loans, which is retarded because taxpayers are already funding the loans.

This is nothing more than a ploy by progressive to paint republicans in a bad right to gain a few more student votes...

Your wrong...they are not "cutting interest rates". They are keeping them the same....which is still more than the principle of the loan...taxpayers are loaning the money at interest...so I still don't see the beef.

Your wrong...they are not "cutting interest rates". They are keeping them the same....which is still more than the principle of the loan...taxpayers are loaning the money at interest...so I still don't see the beef.

Because asswipe, they will default and the taxpayer will get hosed by the democrats once again.. it's freakin fannie and freddie all over again.

Because asswipe, they will default and the taxpayer will get hosed by the democrats once again.. it's freakin fannie and freddie all over again.

Pretty much............ A pseudo-bailout...

Followed by ANOTHER downgrade.

Prediction:

Rates will get extended so all the lefties can continue pursuing the Ph D's in Post Bolshevik Vagina Studies only to never pay off the low interest loans.

The loans, if in default, are not forgiven or written off.

Any who says that is a doosh liar.

Pretty much............ A pseudo-bailout...

I see that you and willow don't know a whole lot about student loans. You can't file bankruptcy to get rid of them and the government has the right to garnish wages for repayment if they go into default.

TGG and Nick are very slow on matters that require understanding and balance.

Forum List

Back