Republican war on Millennials looks like a suicide mission (Opinion, USA Today)

Witchit

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2014
TARDIS
The string of Democratic victories on Election Night 2017 falls well within the tradition of the party not holding the White House cleaning up in off-year elections. But what’s notable is that younger voters are generally mad AF at President Trump and ready to clap back at the ballot box — right as Millennials are prepared to eclipse Baby Boomers as America’s largest generation of eligible voters.

While Trump is already historically unpopular for a new president, his appeal to America’s closest to death is keeping his ratings afloat, according to pollster William Jordan. Among younger voters, however, the president has already sunk to the level of George W. Bush in 2008 — after W had led America into the Hurricane Katrina debacle, two failed wars and the beginning of the Great Recession.

And it was likely W’s repellence to younger voters as much as Obama’s appeal to them that helped Obama win 66% of the 18-to-29 vote in 2008 as young people flooded to the polls in numbers that hadn’t been seen since 18-year-olds got the vote in 1972.

So how is Trump’s GOP handling a hemorrhaging of young voters who are establishing voting patterns that could last the rest of their adult lives?

By trolling them out of the middle class.

This is going to prove very interesting. I need to do some digging, but now is not a good time as I'm actually supposed to be asleep (shift worker.) But I need to find out what percentage of Millennials are Sanders supporters. If they tear the party in half again, the GOP could easily win with a minority of the vote (again.)

Republican war on Millennials looks like a suicide mission

The string of Democratic victories on Election Night 2017 falls well within the tradition of the party not holding the White House cleaning up in off-year elections. But what’s notable is that younger voters are generally mad AF at President Trump and ready to clap back at the ballot box — right as Millennials are prepared to eclipse Baby Boomers as America’s largest generation of eligible voters.

While Trump is already historically unpopular for a new president, his appeal to America’s closest to death is keeping his ratings afloat, according to pollster William Jordan. Among younger voters, however, the president has already sunk to the level of George W. Bush in 2008 — after W had led America into the Hurricane Katrina debacle, two failed wars and the beginning of the Great Recession.

And it was likely W’s repellence to younger voters as much as Obama’s appeal to them that helped Obama win 66% of the 18-to-29 vote in 2008 as young people flooded to the polls in numbers that hadn’t been seen since 18-year-olds got the vote in 1972.

So how is Trump’s GOP handling a hemorrhaging of young voters who are establishing voting patterns that could last the rest of their adult lives?

By trolling them out of the middle class.

This is going to prove very interesting. I need to do some digging, but now is not a good time as I'm actually supposed to be asleep (shift worker.) But I need to find out what percentage of Millennials are Sanders supporters. If they tear the party in half again, the GOP could easily win with a minority of the vote (again.)

Republican war on Millennials looks like a suicide mission
"String of victories"?!

Suicide mission?
Millennials will continue to vote Democratic until they begin "adulting."
With age and responsibility brings wisdom!

Old saying, "Too soon old, too late smart."

Forum List

Back