"Reporters" Expalin Why Good News From Iraq Is Not Reported

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by red states rule, Oct 8, 2007.

1. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    Memebers of the liberal media tried to explain their reasons for not reporting the good news from Iraq.

Journalists’ Tell Howard Kurtz Why Good News from Iraq Shouldn’t Get Reported (updated w/video)

By Noel Sheppard | October 7, 2007 - 14:35 ET

As CNN's Howard Kurtz accurately pointed out on Sunday's "Reliable Sources," few media outlets seemed at all interested in giving much attention to the great news out of Iraq last week regarding September's sharp decline in casualties.

To Kurtz's obvious frustration, his guests - Robin Wright of the Washington Post and Barbara Starr of CNN - both supported the press burying this extremely positive announcement.

I kid you not.

After introducing the subject, Kurtz asked, "Robin Wright, should that decline in Iraq casualties have gotten more media attention?"

Not necessarily. The fact is we're at the beginning of a trend -- and it's not even sure that it is a trend yet. There is also an enormous dispute over how to count the numbers. There are different kinds of deaths in Iraq.

There are combat deaths. There are sectarian deaths. And there are the deaths of criminal -- from criminal acts. There are also a lot of numbers that the U.S. frankly is not counting. For example, in southern Iraq, there is Shiite upon Shiite violence, which is not sectarian in the Shiite versus Sunni. And the U.S. also doesn't have much of a capability in the south.

So the numbers themselves are tricky.

Wow. Numbers shouldn't be reported because they're "tricky," "at the beginning of a trend," and there's "enormous dispute over how to count" them?

No such moral conundrum existed last month when media predicted a looming recession after the Labor Department announced a surprising decline in non-farm payrolls that ended up being revised up four weeks later to show an increase.

And, in the middle of a three and a half-year bull run in stocks, such "journalists" have no quandary predicting a bear market every time the Dow Jones Industrial Average falls a few hundred points.

Yet, when good news regarding military casualties comes from the Defense Department, these same people show uncharacteristic restraint in not wanting to report what could end up being an a anomaly.

Isn't that special?

For the complete article and to watch the video

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-s...kurtz-why-good-news-iraq-shouldn-t-get-report

2. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    One question, RSR...

If I usede MediaMAtters and DU and Crooksandliars as my only sources ever...

would you accept each as unbiased enough to deserve your time in debating the point raised?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,108
    I know I wouldn't, and not because they are liberal sites, but because they are blogs. I do my best never to source blogs, they are almost all biased and skew their stories. Better to source the original story or source.

With that in mind...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fwyqsd-FCw8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fwyqsd-FCw8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I must say that it strikes me as odd that decreasing number are "tricky" but numbers indicating an increase in deaths not so much.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,108
    And don't get me wrong, I understand the need to see a trend of more than one month, but to all but ignore the numbers, the positive indicators, well, that seems more than a bit jaded.

5. red states rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    The liberal media seldom reports any good news - if they do they downplay it and try to dismiss it at the same time

6. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    For you to use NewsBusters is a legitimate balanced authoritative primary source would be analogous to be using Media Matters. Liberal media will criticize the war, exaggerate the bad and minimize the good. Likewise, conservative media will hype the war, exaggerate the good and minimize the bad. There is noting new or newsworthy about this.

7. red states rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    Matt, if you read the post and watch the CNN video you willsee it is posted WORD FOR WORD

Kowie Kurtz (hardly a right wing guy) was pissed at the spin the liberal reporters used to try and explain why good news is not rported and/or downplayed

8. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Kurtz

Some assert that Kurtz takes conservative positions under the guise of non-partisan media commentary. Others contend that Kurtz is biased toward the right, specifically that his coverage of the blogosphere selectively targets extremism on left-wing blogs. These critics often note the fact that he is married to Republican consultant and commentator Sheri Annis. Kurtz has publicly declined to state his political affiliation.

I don’t know Kurtz, but based on this information, at the present, I think that he leans to the right. Anyway, it is just some guys opinion (commentary) about what he thinks is general silence about the apparent success that the war is having at this time.

9. red states rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    Matt, saying Howie is a conservatives is like calling Chirs Matthews a moderate Dem

Did you read the post from Newsbusters and watch the video. The "reporters" were quoted word for word, not edits, no taking their words out of context

This was on CNN - are you now going to say CNN is part of the conservative media?

10. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Im just saying, RSR, your posts that are CLEARLY meant to shit on the left might be taken more seriously if the source was not CLEARLY embedded int he right wing. If they were the same then WHY NOT USE THE UNBIASED SOURCE INSTEAD OF THE ONE THAT IS CLEARLY BIASED?

I can quote to you many things that can be INTERPRETED according to my biases. Similarly, if it's the same then why have to filter the story through newsbusters?