Rep. Rangel: I'll Retire if Democrats Lose in '06

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Stephanie, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    :bye1:
    Yeah right.. He'll pull another Alec Baldwin and not leave, damnit....:laugh:

Rep. Charles Rangel, a senior Democrat in Congress and the dean of New York's congressional delegation, said Wednesday he'll retire if the Democrats don't retake control of the House this year.

"I'm a poker player and I've had good hands all night long. This is all in," Rangel said in an interview. "I would not put everything on the table if I thought for one minute we would lose."

Rangel, ranking Democrat on the House Ways & Means Committee, is 76 years old and has spent 35 years in Congress. The Democrats need to gain 15 seats in the 2006 midterm election to retake control of the House _ a victory that would return Rangel to the chairmanship of the powerful committee.

"Hell, if we don't take back the House, then the Democrats would go down in history, saying that there's no group in the world that can grab defeat from the jaws of victory," Rangel said in an interview Wednesday. "It just seems like America is so frustrated and fed up like I am and if she's not, then I may have to say maybe it's me."

The Washington Post reported in Wednesday's editions that Rangel would leave Congress if the GOP retained control of the House.
    House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi said she was with Rangel at a Harlem church on Sunday, and he never mentioned the possibility of leaving Congress.

"That was news to me," said Pelosi. "We're counting on winning, and we're working very hard in that regard. And when we do, he'll make a great chair of the Ways & Means Committee."http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/8/2/112102.shtml?s=po

2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,156
    I doubt he will actually do it, but we will see come November, because as of right now it looks unlikely that Dems will take the house. The senate may still be up for grabs, but the house seems very unlikely.

3. Jennifer.Bush

Jennifer.Bush Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    i can't stand him

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    But it's serious incentive to vote GOP! :laugh: