Religious thoughts

woodjack

Jul 1, 2009
Anchorage, Alaska
I was thinking about about christianity and was thinking most people get it wrong.......I hear all the time what would jesus do...help the poor...give to the needy.....and whatnot...but would he really? Keep in mind that Jesus was born in a time where people could not rise up from the station where they were born...once poor you were always poor......Can the same be said of America? Jesus spoke about helping your brothers and neighbors...never once did he mention help the poor in China or Africa........it was all about the community in which you were from..and your family. Jesus also spoke about doing your best and doing good works......can that be said of the poor in America? or would he admonish those in America for wasting there opportunies much like he did the jewish priests? Improve your Communities and live as an example to other communities so that they might also rise up from ignorance. I could Quote the Bible but I think you all know what it says....I think Jesus would admonish the poor in this great country and tell them to rise above what they can do.......these people that quote the bible I beleive have not read the bible nor understand what it was that Jesus was all about.....Sad

I hear from the government that we need to help the poor......as if there are not enough things to help them in place already. Its sad that thezses people are supposedly some of the best educated in the world but either misunderstand what the bible says or are just manipulating the masses to get a vote. Where am I going wrong with this?

Take care of your Family first ...help your neighbor...then community....Perhaps if we did these things our Economy would get better and we would be happier as a people.

picture-17.png

Matthew 25:31-46 (New International Version, ©2011)

The Sheep and the Goats
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

There are many people who misunderstand the scriptures and what the Lord wants because they don't really try to understand and apply it to their lives according to the Spirit, they instead pick and choose what they want or they have their own ideas and try to read them into the scriptures rather than reading the scriptures to learn what God wants in our own lives.

You have stumbled on a major message of the scriptures. They are teaching us to act as individuals. They are teaching us of our relationship with God and others. They aren't teaching us to cede our agency and power to the government and letting them do everything.

Much of the problems of our society has been caused because we, as individuals have given up on our personal responsibilities. We try to run away from them or pretend they aren't there. But they are. We have obligations and duty to our families. We have obligations, as individuals to our neighbors, even to our enemies. We are supposed to take care of the widows and the fatherless, we are, not some bueaucratic monstrosity.

The problems in our society are created because individuals don't stand and lift where they are. Once we start embracing our responsibility and duties, our rights will restore themselves, And our problems will resolve themselves.

America gives us the ability to act as individuals and rise from poverty.

All you have to do is play by the rules.

And there ain't a whole lot of rule-playing going on these days.

There are many people who misunderstand the scriptures and what the Lord wants because they don't really try to understand and apply it to their lives according to the Spirit, they instead pick and choose what they want or they have their own ideas and try to read them into the scriptures rather than reading the scriptures to learn what God wants in our own lives.

You have stumbled on a major message of the scriptures. They are teaching us to act as individuals. They are teaching us of our relationship with God and others. They aren't teaching us to cede our agency and power to the government and letting them do everything.

Much of the problems of our society has been caused because we, as individuals have given up on our personal responsibilities. We try to run away from them or pretend they aren't there. But they are. We have obligations and duty to our families. We have obligations, as individuals to our neighbors, even to our enemies. We are supposed to take care of the widows and the fatherless, we are, not some bueaucratic monstrosity.

The problems in our society are created because individuals don't stand and lift where they are. Once we start embracing our responsibility and duties, our rights will restore themselves, And our problems will resolve themselves.

Ok... am I misunderstanding them, or do they just not jive with your own political philosophy? I agree... we should do more as individuals... Myself included. However, we all live busy lives and most of us are living pretty much paycheck to paycheck. So doing these good deeds on an individual basis can be difficult while raising a family, working full time and paying bills.

Social programs are not evil, they are the right thing to do. Should they be more efficient? Absolutely.

Ok... am I misunderstanding them, or do they just not jive with your own political philosophy? I agree... we should do more as individuals... Myself included. However, we all live busy lives and most of us are living pretty much paycheck to paycheck. So doing these good deeds on an individual basis can be difficult while raising a family, working full time and paying bills.

Social programs are not evil, they are the right thing to do. Should they be more efficient? Absolutely.

Bullshit. That's a bunch of excuses. "I'm too busy, I'm too poor, I need to abdicate my responsibilities to others because [fill in the blank]."

Remember the story of the widow's mite? That's why they call it a "sacrifice", buddy. If you're holding onto every penny, going, "I can't give to the poor, I need it for myself", then you're obviously not trusting God to provide for you. And I really doubt He's going to give you a pass on obeying Him on THAT basis.

Furthermore, I don't believe "most of us are living paycheck to paycheck", nor do I believe that most of those who ARE living paycheck to paycheck are doing so on a bare subsistence level. So perhaps there's some priority-rearranging that needs to be done.

One of the most important obligations we have to our neighbors is not to tell them they are going to burn in hell if they do not believe what our religion may believe.
And I do not see many Christians doing that.

Bullshit. That's a bunch of excuses. "I'm too busy, I'm too poor, I need to abdicate my responsibilities to others because [fill in the blank]."

Remember the story of the widow's mite? That's why they call it a "sacrifice", buddy. If you're holding onto every penny, going, "I can't give to the poor, I need it for myself", then you're obviously not trusting God to provide for you. And I really doubt He's going to give you a pass on obeying Him on THAT basis.

Furthermore, I don't believe "most of us are living paycheck to paycheck", nor do I believe that most of those who ARE living paycheck to paycheck are doing so on a bare subsistence level. So perhaps there's some priority-rearranging that needs to be done.

But then the corporations would go broke because if we were at subsistence levels and gave the rest away... well, you get the idea. BTW... you don't know me.

Just for your information, my career choice is working with the developmentally disabled. I make about $30K/yr doing so... but I love my job above making more money. I also volunteer for the Red Cross and Habitat For Humanity. But that's OK... keep making assumptions.

And yes, I still believe in social programs. Should they be reformed? Yep. I believe that Welfare should be like in the early days with the Conservation Corps. We have a crumbling infrastructure that is in dire need of upgrading, we have millions out of work. Put two and two together and get them working for their benefits. Single Moms with kids? Provide day care centers for them until they are school age and have the moms home by the time school gets out... provide transportation(if needed) to and from the worksite.

The only other way to receive benefits(in my plan) would be to go to college. If you were to go that route, you would have to apply for financial aid on your own. Whatever the person gets, they get and the rest gets taken out in loans... BUT... if they are attending school and making grades, they can keep receiving benefits to keep themselves and their kids housed, clothed and fed.

You see, I believe that Social Programs shouldn't be a handout, they should be empowering.

Umm jesus did not spurn helping the outsiders ie non Jewish so yes I think he was for helping the world.

how do you know jesuse did not spurn helping the non jews ? he wouldn't allow them in his circle ? the early christians would not allow non jews to become christrians
so where in your sick little book did it say he would ?

Umm jesus did not spurn helping the outsiders ie non Jewish so yes I think he was for helping the world.

how do you know jesuse did not spurn helping the non jews ? he wouldn't allow them in his circle ? the early christians would not allow non jews to become christrians

It is not my sick little book. I am an atheist, but I read the bible a few times. Perhaps you should too?
so you do not look so much the fool?

It is not my sick little book. I am an atheist, but I read the bible a few times. Perhaps you should too?
so you do not look so much the fool?

R-E-A-D?

i think you are expecting too much of him.

religious thoughts ,
hate hate hate hate

amen

You're confusing religious thought with your thought.

really / I haven't killed nearly the amount of people religion has , I've never sanctioned slavery , I've never burn a book in my life , never burned a cross , never given people of any color grief , don't mine interracial marriage , gays don't bother me ,

christians ?

But then the corporations would go broke because if we were at subsistence levels and gave the rest away... well, you get the idea. BTW... you don't know me.

I didn't suggest you had to give everything away above subsistence level. I stated, categorically, that "I'm too poor to help others" is a bullshit excuse for being lazy and fobbing off social responsibility onto government programs.

I don't give a rat's ass about "knowing you". You mistake yourself for someone so fascinating that I'm the slightest bit interested in you personally. I know what you said, which is all I need to know about you.

Just for your information, my career choice is working with the developmentally disabled. I make about $30K/yr doing so... but I love my job above making more money. I also volunteer for the Red Cross and Habitat For Humanity. But that's OK... keep making assumptions.

Just for your information, I don't give a fuck. I am less interested in your personal details now than I was before you felt the need to defensively spew your "Look how wonderful I am" all over me.

The one thing I DO know about you now is that you're something of a narcissist who cannot discuss a topic without making it all about you. Before this, I made no assumptions about you personally at all, because as I've already pointed out, you don't matter to me. I made an observation about what you said, which still stands: your previous post was a bunch of bullshit excuses. YOU were the one who insisted on applying it to yourself as an insult.

And yes, I still believe in social programs. Should they be reformed? Yep. I believe that Welfare should be like in the early days with the Conservation Corps. We have a crumbling infrastructure that is in dire need of upgrading, we have millions out of work. Put two and two together and get them working for their benefits. Single Moms with kids? Provide day care centers for them until they are school age and have the moms home by the time school gets out... provide transportation(if needed) to and from the worksite.

Don't give a shit. Didn't ask you what you personally believe in, and don't care. Observation still stands: "I'm too poor to help others; let the government do it" is a bullshit excuse and a copout.

The only other way to receive benefits(in my plan) would be to go to college. If you were to go that route, you would have to apply for financial aid on your own. Whatever the person gets, they get and the rest gets taken out in loans... BUT... if they are attending school and making grades, they can keep receiving benefits to keep themselves and their kids housed, clothed and fed.

You see, I believe that Social Programs shouldn't be a handout, they should be empowering.

Well, you've certainly wasted an awful lot of time talking about a topic I didn't address and care even less about now than I did before you forced it on me, namely you and your splendiferousness. Contemplate getting over yourself.

In other news, "I'm too poor to help others; let the government do it" is still a bullshit excuse and a copout. Ditto "I'm too busy to help others."

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
John Kenneth Galbraith

Last edited:

Forum List

Back