Reid Wrong on Planned Parenthood

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Dingy Harry's actually wrong about lots and lots of things. So this report doesn't surprise me.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid claimed in a floor speech that 30 percent of U.S. women get their health care from Planned Parenthood. That’s false. By one measure, the number is less than 3 percent.

And then one of his staffers tries to weasel out for him. Read the story @ Reid Wrong on Planned Parenthood

Planned Parenthood funding up in the air...

Huelskamp: ‘Will Republican Congress Fund Planned Parenthood to Continue Their Despicable, Gruesome, Vile, Racist Activities?’
September 11, 2015 – Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-Kan.) said on Wednesday that he feared Congress would continue to fund Planned Parenthood, despite the recent revelations from undercover videos showing the organization’s medical staff discussing harvesting and selling organs from aborted babies.
“The question is whether we fund [Planned Parenthood] next year,” Huelskamp said at the monthly Conversations with Conservatives on Capitol Hill. “Will the Republican Congress fund Planned Parenthood to continue their despicable, gruesome, vile, racist activities? “That’s the question, and I fear the answer will be yes, because we’re not going to do anything,” he said. CNSNews.com asked Huelskamp and other Republicans at the event whether defunding Planned Parenthood was “a talking point” or would lawmakers actually be able to accomplish that goal.

Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-S.C.) said that Republicans have discussed making a point about how much they have done for the pro-life movement in the past. “To me, what that means is we’re setting up for surrender,” Mulvaney said. “If you don’t want to talk about what you want to do next week and instead you want to talk about what you did last week, it means you’re afraid to do anything next week.” On Friday, Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) announced on the House floor that the it will consider two bills related to the Planned Parenthood scandal. One, the Defund Planned Parenthood Act of 2015 or H.R. 3134 sponsored by Rep. Diane Black (R-Tenn.), would suspend any federal funds to the nation’s largest abortion provider until the investigation by three House committees into the video matter is complete.

tim_huelskamp.4jpg.jpg

Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-Kan.) spoke at the Heritage Foundation's Conversations with Conservatives

According to its annual report, Planned Parenthood got $528 million in federal government health services grants and reimbursements for fiscal year 2013-2014. The second bill, sponsored by Rep. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.), focuses on protecting infants who have survived an abortion or an attempted abortion. Funding for government operations for the current fiscal year ends on Sept. 30, which means that Congress will have to vote for a continuing resolution to avoid a government shutdown. The CR will include funding for Planned Parenthood unless action is taken to strip that funding.

In an interview with a Kentucky television station, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said the funds would not be removed from the CR, according to the Washington Post. “We just don’t have the votes to get the outcome that we’d like,” McConnell said. “The president has made it very clear he is not going to sign any bill that includes defunding of Planned Parenthood, so that’s another issue that awaits a new president, hopefully with a different point of view about Planned Parenthood.” But at the Conversations with Conservatives event, Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.) said his constituents don’t want their money going to support Planned Parenthood. “Nobody wants to see their tax dollars go to fund an organization that is systematically killing babies in the womb in such a way to maximize the return of the body parts to be sold,” Duncan said.

Huelskamp: ‘Will Republican Congress Fund Planned Parenthood to Continue Their Despicable, Gruesome, Vile, Racist Activities?’

See also:

Rep. Black: ‘You Don’t Get Livers and Hearts and Brains From a Blob of Tissue – That’s a Baby’
September 10, 2015 – At a rally in support of ending federal funding to Planned Parenthood, Rep. Diane Black (R-Tenn.) said Thursday that the group’s characterization of abortion as a “blob of tissue” is completely false and that the undercover videos recently released that show Planned Parenthood officials discussing the harvesting and selling of organs for aborted babies prove it.
“For too long, [women] have been told this is just a blob of tissue,” Black said at the rally, which was held on Capitol Hill. “Well, let me say this: You don’t get livers and hearts and brains from a blob of tissue – that’s a baby.” Black has introduced legislation – the Defund Planned Parenthood Act of 2015 or H.R. 3134 – that would suspend all federal funding to the nation’s largest abortion provider until the investigation by House committees into the videos released by the Center for Medical Progress is complete.

pp_protest.jpg

Pro-life activists gathering on Capitol Hill on Sept. 10, 2015 to protest the federal funding of Planned Parenthood.

The House Energy & Commerce Committee is investigating Planned Parenthood’s activities. The House Oversight & Government Reform Committee is investigating how Planned Parenthood gets its funding, and the House Judiciary Committee is investigating the Justice Department’s enforcement of the law, according to Speaker John Boehner’s (R-Ohio) press office. “I know that Planned Parenthood is not about women’s health,” said Black, who is a registered nurse. “It’s about deceiving women in the most difficult and vulnerable moments of their life.

Black noted that Congress has a busy month ahead, including approving a continuing resolution to keep the government open that could include funding for Planned Parenthood. “It values convenience over truth, and it values profit over life,” she said. “We’ve got big challenges in Congress this fall, but nothing, in my opinion, nothing could possibly be more important than how we treat an innocent life,” she said.

Rep. Black: ‘You Don’t Get Livers and Hearts and Brains From a Blob of Tissue – That’s a Baby’

Granny says, "Well den, cuts dey's funding by $127 million...

Planned Parenthood Had $127M Surplus But Won't Accept Cut in Federal Funding
September 29, 2015 | At a hearing on Planned Parenthood funding in the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee on Tuesday, Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-S.C.) pointed out to Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards that the organization’s most recent tax report shows $127 million dollars of revenue in excess of expenses.
Mulvaney asked Richards whether taking away just the $60 million in discretionary funding appropriated by Congress of the more than $450 million in federal funding that the Congressional Budget Office estimates Planned Parenthood gets each year. “One of the proposals here, Ms. Richards, is to defund Planned Parenthood, which includes taking roughly $60 million away from what you get out of discretionary funding,” Mulvaney said to Richards at a hearing of the House Government Oversight and Reform Committee, where she was a witness. “If we took $60 million away from you, you could still perform every single service that you gave last year, can’t you?”

cecile_richards_3.jpg

Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards

A Sept. 16 Congressional Budget Office report on the cost of H.R. 3134, a bill to put federal funding of Planned Parenthood on hold until investigations into the alleged trafficking of baby organs from aborted babies is complete, shows that the organization receives about $450 million in federal funds annually. Of that, $390 million is provided through Medicaid and less than $1 million through the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) and Medicare combined. That leaves about $60 million in family planning funding through Title X, which is subject to appropriation by Congress. The following exchange then ensued between Richards and Mulvaney:

mick_mulvaney.jpg

Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-S.C.)

Mulvaney: “Well you made $127 million. You have revenues in excess of expenses of $127 million. Now you told me what you do with the $127 million. You’re spending it. You’re investing it. You’re expanding. I get that, but if you had $60 million less last year, you could have provided every single service to every single woman that you did last year.”

MORE

See also:

Planned Parenthood Got $528M In Tax Dollars, Paid Cecile Richards $523,000
September 29, 2015 | Planned Parenthood received $528 million in government health services grants and reimbursements or 41 percent of its total revenue for the fiscal year ending on June 30, 2014 and gave its president, Cecile Richards, $523,000 in annual compensation. “My annual compensation is $523,000 a year,” Richards told House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Chairman Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah).
Planned Parenthood’s 2013-2014 annual report shows the organization received $528.4 million in “government health services grants & reimbursements.” “Your compensation in 2009 was $353,000. Is that correct?” Chaffetz asked Richards at a hearing Tuesday on government funding of Planned Parenthood. “I don’t have the figures with me,” Richards replied.

“It was. Congratulations. In 2013, your compensation went up some $240,000. Your compensation we’re showing based on your tax returns is $590,000, correct?” Chaffetz asked. “That’s not my annual compensation. I actually, my annual compensation is $523,000 a year. I believe there was a retirement, there was a program that the board sort of put together for a three-year—Again, I think we’ve been extremely forthcoming with all of our documents,” Richards responded.

The Congressional Budget Office estimates that the nation’s largest abortion provider received approximately $450 million each year in federal funds, almost all of which is administered by the Department of Health and Human Service, the Committee noted on its website.

Planned Parenthood Got $528M In Tax Dollars, Paid Cecile Richards $523,000

Last edited:
"Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid claimed in a floor speech that 30 percent of U.S. women get their health care from Planned Parenthood. That’s false. By one measure, the number is less than 3 percent."

Which still doesn't warrant 'defunding' Planned Parenthood predicated on nothing but lies and misinformation.

Reid may be indeed be a liar, and his attempt to 'justify' funding for Planned Parenthood was pointless and idiotic; it doesn't change the fact, however, that if it weren't for the falsified videos and lies propagated by the right, Planned Parenthood's funding wouldn't now be in jeopardy.

Dingy Harry's actually wrong about lots and lots of things. So this report doesn't surprise me.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid claimed in a floor speech that 30 percent of U.S. women get their health care from Planned Parenthood. That’s false. By one measure, the number is less than 3 percent.

And then one of his staffers tries to weasel out for him. Read the story @ Reid Wrong on Planned Parenthood
Republicans: Planned Parenthood doesn't do anything but abortions...nobody uses them for anything else...and the majority of Americans hate them

Democrats: Planned Parenthood does very few abortions...everybody uses them for everything else...and the majority of Americans love them.

Take your pick folks, and we have analyses from both sides that say the video is both fake, and unaltered.

There is a story to suit your liking.

Why is everybody so unhappy?

Obama wrong on PP too...

'Mammo-sham' Debunking Planned Parenthood Myth
Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and pro-life group Live Action is taking to social media to debunk the myth that Planned Parenthood provides mammograms.
The video, called "Mammosham," shows Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards testifying before Congress that the organization is neither equipped nor licensed to provide mammograms. The abortion giant and its supporters, including President Barack Obama, have argued that taking away federal funding would limit women's health care services. "There are millions of women all across the country who rely on Planned Parenthood for not just contraceptive care, they rely on it for mammograms," Obama said in 2012.

The video shows Richards making the same claim in 2011. "Millions of women in this country are gonna lose their healthcare access -– not to abortion services –- to basic family planning, you know, mammograms." Richards has since changed her tune. "We do not have mammogram machines at our health centers. We've never stated that we did," she said before Congress. In its call to action to defund the organization, the video re-iterates that Planned Parenthood is making false claims about the services it provides. So far the video has a whopping 2.6 million views. To watch the full video, visit Live Action's Facebook page.

VIDEOS

Forum List

Back