Red Sox to Acquire Adrian Gonzalez from the San Diego Padres

Article 15

Dr. House slayer
Jul 4, 2008
ORLANDO, Fla. — According to a major league source, trade talks between the Red Sox and San Diego Padres with regard to first baseman Adrian Gonzalez have reached the stage where medical clearance and a contract extension may be the only things standing in the way of a deal that would bring the lefthanded-hitting slugger to Boston.

The 28-year-old Gonzalez is expected in Boston today for a physical.

Talks have centered around some of Boston’s top prospects, including first baseman Anthony Rizzo and righthanded pitcher Casey Kelly. The deal would likely involve three or four players from the Sox, including one who is major league-ready. The Sox likely would have to be assured that Gonzalez’s right shoulder, for which he underwent surgery last month, is healing properly, and would allow him to start the season.
Boston Red Sox - Sox, Padres talk Gonzalez - The Boston Globe

Who they gave up is still hazy but if they keep Bard, Buchholz, and Iglesias I am happy.

Last edited:
Gonzalez at first, Youk at third, Lowell with a handshake and a big thank you.

Looks good to me.

Now, we just need to get Crawford for left, because Jayson is not werth the money.

Anytime you guys wanna take a big slugger or pitcher from the NL, be my guest.

Looks good to me.

Now, we just need to get Crawford for left, because Jayson is not werth the money.

We kept Els so I wouldn't expect us to sign Crawford. It will be Werth if it's either of the two. Personally, I think he's going to be another JD Drew if we get him.

ORLANDO, Fla. — According to a major league source, trade talks between the Red Sox and San Diego Padres with regard to first baseman Adrian Gonzalez have reached the stage where medical clearance and a contract extension may be the only things standing in the way of a deal that would bring the lefthanded-hitting slugger to Boston.

Talks have centered around some of Boston’s top prospects, including first baseman Anthony Rizzo and righthanded pitcher Casey Kelly. The deal would likely involve three or four players from the Sox, including one who is major league-ready. The Sox likely would have to be assured that Gonzalez’s right shoulder, for which he underwent surgery last month, is healing properly, and would allow him to start the season.

Who they gave up is still hazy but if they keep Bard, Buchholz, and Iglesias I am happy.

My wife just about blew a gasket over this this morning.

My wife just about blew a gasket over this this morning.

Sorry, Bodey. San Diego wasn't going to be able to resign him after the 2011 season so Hoyer did what he had to do. The gave up Kelly, Rizzo, and Fuentes. I'm know Kelly is very likely to be a nice player.

Looks good to me.

We kept Els so I wouldn't expect us to sign Crawford. It will be Werth if it's either of the two. Personally, I think he's going to be another JD Drew if we get him.
Werth's asking price is insanity.

Looks good to me.

I hear he wants a Matt Holliday-esque deal. He isn't worth that at all and I would not be happy giving him that contract. I highly doubt the Sox pay that price. No need to go ga-ga now that you got Gonzalez.

I hear he wants a Matt Holliday-esque deal. He isn't worth that at all and I would not be happy giving him that contract. I highly doubt the Sox pay that price. No need to go ga-ga now that you got Gonzalez.

Yeah he does, because his agent is Boras and Boras is Holliday's agent too.

He hit under .200 with RISP this season though, and failed to reach 100 rbi. And also made some really bone headed plays in the outfield. He tries to crush the ball to the next zip code everytime he swings, especially with RISP, and that's why he failed in that department. He's a good player but he's not a super star yet. I'd say something like 8yr/100mil at best.

I hear he wants a Matt Holliday-esque deal. He isn't werth that at all and I would not be happy giving him that contract. I highly doubt the Sox pay that price. No need to go ga-ga now that you got Gonzalez.

I fixed your post...spelling error.

Forum List

Back