Recommended book: Lies My Teacher Told Me

Discussion in 'Education' started by JBeukema, Jun 27, 2009.

1. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    So, I'm reading Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen. It's great. It talks about everything form the role of the plagues in wiping out native populations, enabling European colonization of the 'New World'to Columbuis' role in the slave trade and his crew's preference for young native girls- citing first hand accounts, personal letters, and contemporary reports for all of it. He also talks about the 'real' Helen Keller and her active role in Americanpolitics, including how she was lauded at first, and then denounced and ridiculed for tupporting the Soviets.

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    How many threads ya gonna start about this book?

3. Epsilon Delta

Epsilon Delta Jedi Master

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +364
    Ever read A People's History of the United States?

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I have, ED.

I took classes with Zinn. He was my GF's academic advisor.

It's a great book, but it's not really a great history book.

The book really isn't a historic study, it's more his political POV applied to the some parts of the history of the US.

The study of history can be the study of nearly anything, be it a grand overview or an indepth study of one small aspect of something in history

It's not just what the governments did, it's also what the people did, for example.

History is really everything that happened.

Now, for most people history is merely the grand overview of what happens to nations, and that's certainly okay.

One can study the history of America by studying what the leaders do, or one can also study American history by studying what the lives of the people were like, how what the government did or did not do effected those people.

Both approaches are equally valid, but they're likely to bring you to very different POVs about American history.

Incidently both POV's can be correct even though they can be very different.

That's exactly why things like woman's history or Black studies, or economic history, or social history are as important as the grand overview approach to history.

5. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    I like James Loewen's beliefs that history should NOT be taught as straightforward facts and dates to memorize, but an in-depth analysis of the context and root causes of events.

I advocate that approach for all subjects...it's much more important to have knowledge with depth and scope that it is to know dates and facts...too often students are taught to pass a test...it creates a disconnect to WHY events occur...

It is the root cause of WHY our education system is falling behind the rest of the world.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Our failure to support the study of history (and the other social sciences, and humanities too) is the reason that our nation is rapidly becoming a tyrannical shithole, I'll grant that.

We're so fucking hot to turn out science and math majors to turn out bombs and Iphones that we don't really know who to bomb or who to call when things get wierd.

A people who don't have a good sense of their own history are sheep waiting to be being driven to the slaughter.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295
    :clap2:

I have that book JB, Lies My Teacher Told Me. :cool: It's a good one.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Et...5KXDBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  8. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    The best truth I have found is Armed Madhouse by Greg Palast.
    Another is The Secret History of the American Empire By John Perkins

9. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    So why are you against the Holocaust being examined and historically debated???

10. Metternich

Metternich Federalist Farmer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    It's sort of cheesy; he looks at some "obvious" lies but clearly overshoots some that one can but read as his personal lies he's telling the reader.

He tells throughout the book to not just accept what the book says, yes I agree but I think he missed some massive gloss overs that if they didn't agree with his personal lying - he would totally smack down. For instance, the 3/5th clause; totally ignores it. The Progressive Era 'reforms' that handidly helped establish monopolies for the coming century; totally ignores it. The inability of the American government to continue helping the Chinese Nationalists (or the Republic of China forfather movement); totally ignores it.

He just selectively lies about history in his own way - yeah it's a change of pace but just same shit, different format.