Real Purpose of the Senate: To Check the Actions of the House

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
old-senate-chamber-two.png

I am so glad this comes along now, a time when many conservative like me mourn the loss of the House to the DimocRATs. It gives one hope for the next 2 years that Pelosi and her coherts cannot undue what our president has done so far. And, even if by chance, something stupid does get through the Senate, we always have the president’s veto power.

What is important is not that the Senate served as an institutional representative of the several states in the federal government as a result of state selection and equal representation. Instead, it’s that a Senate so conceived would interact with, and counteract any unwise decisions by, the House. This, in turn, would help to control legislative majorities and frustrate presidential action. While the delegates did indeed disagree about how best to ensure that the Senate could check the House, all had this checking function in mind. It was crucial to establishing a new form of republican government that would be stable but flexible.

Taken separately, the House and Senate are imperfect institutions. But this is precisely the lesson that Madison and his fellow delegates took from Machiavelli. Taken together, the House and Senate are necessary ingredients for institutionalized conflict. They make possible a properly constrained Congress rooted in the consent of the governed.

Much more @ Real Purpose of the Senate: To Check the Actions of the House - Law & Liberty

old-senate-chamber-two.png

I am so glad this comes along now, a time when many conservative like me mourn the loss of the House to the DimocRATs. It gives one hope for the next 2 years that Pelosi and her coherts cannot undue what our president has done so far. And, even if by chance, something stupid does get through the Senate, we always have the president’s veto power.

What is important is not that the Senate served as an institutional representative of the several states in the federal government as a result of state selection and equal representation. Instead, it’s that a Senate so conceived would interact with, and counteract any unwise decisions by, the House. This, in turn, would help to control legislative majorities and frustrate presidential action. While the delegates did indeed disagree about how best to ensure that the Senate could check the House, all had this checking function in mind. It was crucial to establishing a new form of republican government that would be stable but flexible.

Taken separately, the House and Senate are imperfect institutions. But this is precisely the lesson that Madison and his fellow delegates took from Machiavelli. Taken together, the House and Senate are necessary ingredients for institutionalized conflict. They make possible a properly constrained Congress rooted in the consent of the governed.

Much more @ Real Purpose of the Senate: To Check the Actions of the House - Law & Liberty
Nancy's 2 heart attacks or a Mueller away from the Presidency. Pass the Mickey D's to Donald please!

Forum List

Back