Rather and Brokaw: Too Much Reagan...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/22590.htm

DAN & TOM: ENOUGH REAGAN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email Archives
Print Reprint

June 9, 2004 -- DAN Rather and Tom Brokaw work for dif ferent networks but agree one thing — coverage of Ronald Reagan's death has been excessive, they say.
"Even though everybody is respectful and wants to pay homage to the president, life does go on," Rather told the Philadelphia Inquirer.

"There is other news, like the reality of Iraq," said the "CBS Evening News" anchor. "It got very short shrift this weekend."

Networks have been going almost wall-to-wall with coverage since Reagan passed away Saturday at the age of 93. The former president was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease nearly 10 years ago.

"Once the herd starts moving in one direction, it's very hard to turn it, even slightly," Rather said. "Nationally, the herd has grown tremendously."

"I think just about everything is over-covered these days," said Brokaw, who anchors the "NBC Nightly News." "The spectrum is so crowded. With all the cable networks, it begins to have a 'video wall' feeling to it."

Jennings said he had mixed feelings about the Reagan coverage.

"I'm more inclined to spare coverage — come on [the air], do something meaningful, then get away," he said.

"The last time I had to do it was with O.J. Simpson [during the 1994 car chase], and I had nothing to say after a certain period of time."

Coverage of Reagan's death will continue through Friday's funeral on all the news networks (broadcast and cable). — Post TV Staff

No my dear tool anchors. Excessive was plastering Abu Gharib all over the headlines for 2.5 weeks. IT hasnt even been a ful lweek since Ronnie died you partisan mouthpieces.

My thoughts exactly insein. While the Abu Gharib abuse is a serious event, it is not a three week top story. Reagan's legacy on this nation affords him a week of news coverage.

I'm going to hate myself for saying this, but I agree that coverage has been excessive. I believe Pres. Reagan was the greatest president in my lifetime and I certainly do not begrudge the coverage. But the the media has done little but repeat the same thing over and over. Worse, in their constant quest for more grist for their mill, they have started to become intrusive on the private grief of the Reagan family. I do not need a close up of Nancy Reagan in tears. I don't need to know how the Reagan children feel about their father or his passing. I would rather see a review of his life, both personal and political and the major events of his funeral. That should be sufficient. But the media coverage has taken on the distinct atmosphere of a National Enquirer article. That serves no purpose but to fill air time and I believe that it is fundamentally disrespectful to the memory of Ronald Reagan and to his family.

Originally posted by Merlin1047
I'm going to hate myself for saying this, but I agree that coverage has been excessive. I believe Pres. Reagan was the greatest president in my lifetime and I certainly do not begrudge the coverage. But the the media has done little but repeat the same thing over and over. Worse, in their constant quest for more grist for their mill, they have started to become intrusive on the private grief of the Reagan family. I do not need a close up of Nancy Reagan in tears. I don't need to know how the Reagan children feel about their father or his passing. I would rather see a review of his life, both personal and political and the major events of his funeral. That should be sufficient. But the media coverage has taken on the distinct atmosphere of a National Enquirer article. That serves no purpose but to fill air time and I believe that it is fundamentally disrespectful to the memory of Ronald Reagan and to his family.

The media always wants the shock value. The horrified reactions. They never want the substance. Hense whoring the abu gharib pictures for 3 weeks.

Forum List

Back