Range time today

Great post, thanks. I'm thinking about building a 7.62x39mm carbine next, or a 6.5 Grendel, now that Grendel ammo has come back. The other thing about the AR 9x39mm is finding viable magazines. So far I've had decent luck with UNIMAG Gen II.
Check out 6.5 Grendel ammo costs........ It's around 70 cents a round as compared to the 7.62x39 at around 35 cents per round (steel cased).

I was thinking about an AR in .350 Legend but the ammo cost per round is over a buck so I'm considering an AR carbine or rifle in .223 Wylde. I already have an AR pistol in 5.56, an AR 47 (7.62x39 nickname) pistol and carbine and a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22.

Check out 6.5 Grendel ammo costs........ It's around 70 cents a round as compared to the 7.62x39 at around 35 cents per round (steel cased).

I was thinking about an AR in .350 Legend but the ammo cost per round is over a buck so I'm considering an AR carbine or rifle in .223 Wylde. I already have an AR pistol in 5.56, an AR 47 (7.62x39 nickname) pistol and carbine and a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22.

Awesome. To be honest, right now, the holy grail for me would be a .300 Winchester Short Magnum AR-10 but finding one is tough. Barring that, an AR-10 in .338 Winchester. Wylde is a good way to go, versatile. For deer hunting in straight wall caliber only states I've heard good things about .350 legend. I also have a home built .50 Beowulf and several in .300 Blackout.

Awesome. To be honest, right now, the holy grail for me would be a .300 Winchester Short Magnum AR-10 but finding one is tough. Barring that, an AR-10 in .338 Winchester. Wylde is a good way to go, versatile. For deer hunting in straight wall caliber only states I've heard good things about .350 legend. I also have a home built .50 Beowulf and several in .300 Blackout.
Well the .300 Blackout is basically the US answer to the Russian 7.62x39 which is why I decided not to build one. The Legend is kinda sorta close to the same power as a Bushmaster without the Bushmaster's recoil. You seem to like the heavy rounds, me not so much, my 12 gauges are heavy enough for me.

That's why I bought an AR...because of ammo.
I already had an AK-47.....but that ammo is getting hard to find.
This shouldn't be going on.....but the Chicoms are pouring cash into our politician's pockets and they're trying to shut everything down.
I remember when I had a clearance.....actions like this would have gotten my clearance revoked and a court-martial.

Never heard of 9x39. Just another thing in the long list of things I don't know.

Yeah, those are the ones that haven't caught up yet with demand and yeah up to $3.00 a round...... I need 45-70 in basically trap-door rounds, once I get those I'll get a 45-70 reload kit.
45-70 was $62 for 20 rounds at Midway USA...nope...I can wait.

Mrs. Mo went out looking for a new FFL for transfers and looked at ammo...

300 rounds of Winchester super x 22lr ...$75 at a pawn shop...$40 at Walmart...😲

Never heard of 9x39. Just another thing in the long list of things I don't know.
I'd heard of it quite a while back but figured it was another obscure, niche round that only appealed to a very few people and promply forgot about it.

45-70 was $62 for 20 rounds at Midway USA...nope...I can wait.

Mrs. Mo went out looking for a new FFL for transfers and looked at ammo...

300 rounds of Winchester super x 22lr ...$75 at a pawn shop...$40 at Walmart...😲
Yeah, some people think the ammo crunch is still in full swing. Heck I saw a brand new Hi-Point C9 at a pawn shop and they were asking $270.......... Say what!!!????
:rofl:

Yeah, some people think the ammo crunch is still in full swing. Heck I saw a brand new Hi-Point C9 at a pawn shop and they were asking $270.......... Say what!!!????
:rofl:
Classic Firearms have one for $169.00

Classic Firearms have one for $169.00
That's what I paid for mine including shipping and the transfer fee. Ugly as sin, heavy but reliable and accurate. Heck if you run out of rounds you can use it as a club....... :D

Excellent - sounds like you had good range trip. The wife and I went for a round of sporting clays last weekend. Rusty is a kind description of how we shot. It's been over a year since the last time we went. Then we did a little short range shooting with our exposed hammer double barrel coach shotguns. We use those Winchester "shorty" shells to mitigate recoil. Those are almost impossible to find now. We got a few cases back in 2019 when they were cheap.

Ammo prices have come down from last year, but compared to 2019, they have a ways to go. I opened up a box Monday that had a case of 1000 rounds (20 boxes of 50) of Blazer Brass that I bought in November 2019. The invoice was in the box - $180 delivered from Target Sports. That's $9 per box of 50. I've seen the Blazer Brass as low as 18.99 so far and some places still at 29.99 - not as bad as the peak in 2020 when it was going for 39.95. Winchester "white box" had bottomed at 19.99 per 100, but haven't seen much of it lately.

After the debacle in 2013, prices did eventually fall back to and sometimes below early 2012 pricing in 2019. With this inflation issue and supply chain disruption, I don't think it's likely we'll ever see a return to 2019 pricing. This is third time we as shooters have done this to ourselves that I've seen - 2008, 2013 and 2020. There were some bumpy times when Clinton got elected, but nothing like we see today. Of course there was very little internet commerce back then, so most people were buying at retail stores.

Anyway, glad to hear all your stuff worked - it's a pisser when drive to the range and the one gun you really want to shoot goes menstrual on you.

Cheers

Thursday mornings are usually my range time but a front bringing rain is moving into Central Florida this morning so I am staying at home wasting my life on the Internet.

I've got my next range day set up for next Thursday. It'll be pistol range time but unfortunately I won't have my "new" Star BM with me. Received it on Tuesday, field stripped it like I do all my new purchases to check the internals and couldn't get it back together. Did have a hard time getting it apart in the first place. Emailed J&G Sales and a couple of hours later they actually called me, we determined there was indeed a major problem so it's going back today and they're going to hand pick a replacement for me. He said he already has the replacement ready to go, one they know works well as at the time we spoke he claimed they only had 5 left out of 35,000 they received 3 years ago.

Forum List

Back