Racist groups vs Free Speech, i've converted...

Slade3200

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2016
It's been a crazy week and i've engaged in many heated discussions about the events of Charlottesville. I have to admit that i've been greatly conflicted about my anti-racist feelings and my support of free speech. I flirted dangerously close in many discussions to promoting the shutdown of speech for white supremacist groups. I saw them as threats, conveyers of hate speech and given their history which has resulted in millions of deaths I was ok with suppressing their speech and shutting down their causes by whatever means necessary. But, I've had a change of heart.

I think we can be smarter than that and not empower these assholes to strip us of our freedoms. It is a slippery slope once you start suppressing speech. We have legal censorship in a variety of areas which i'm fine with, but shutting down groups from holding rallies, having websites and protesting is only going to lead to bad things. Note that I in no way support any provocation of violence or destruction resulting from rallies or protests. If that happens then shut them down immediately and make arrests.

I would promote fighting these douchebags by ignoring them and minimizing them in a SMART way. Don't lower yourself to fight with them and fuel their cause. Take away their statues and flags that empower them in public forums and show them that our communities outright reject their hateful views. Or construct monuments and statues of civil rights leaders next to the confederate statues and tell the story about how we prevailed and fought agains their hate, and WE WON. Ignore their rallies and don't give them the exposure or attention that they crave. Speak louder and stronger for equality.

I still think that the Presidents comments that minimized the ugliness of the Nazi's and White Supremacists were wildly inappropriate. He tried to spread the blame to the left for the anti-protests and it deluded his message of condemnation that should have been crystal clear in opposition of the hate groups. He should have spread the message in a better way to fight against it. I don't want to relitigate Trumps actions in this OP but I did want to share my change of opinion and open up a discussion about productive ways to move forward that combats the hate and preserves our right of free speech.

It's been a crazy week and i've engaged in many heated discussions about the events of Charlottesville. I have to admit that i've been greatly conflicted about my anti-racist feelings and my support of free speech. I flirted dangerously close in many discussions to promoting the shutdown of speech for white supremacist groups. I saw them as threats, conveyers of hate speech and given their history which has resulted in millions of deaths I was ok with suppressing their speech and shutting down their causes by whatever means necessary. But, I've had a change of heart.

I think we can be smarter than that and not empower these assholes to strip us of our freedoms. It is a slippery slope once you start suppressing speech. We have legal censorship in a variety of areas which i'm fine with, but shutting down groups from holding rallies, having websites and protesting is only going to lead to bad things. Note that I in no way support any provocation of violence or destruction resulting from rallies or protests. If that happens then shut them down immediately and make arrests.

I would promote fighting these douchebags by ignoring them and minimizing them in a SMART way. Don't lower yourself to fight with them and fuel their cause. Take away their statues and flags that empower them in public forums and show them that our communities outright reject their hateful views. Or construct monuments and statues of civil rights leaders next to the confederate statues and tell the story about how we prevailed and fought agains their hate, and WE WON. Ignore their rallies and don't give them the exposure or attention that they crave. Speak louder and stronger for equality.

I still think that the Presidents comments that minimized the ugliness of the Nazi's and White Supremacists were wildly inappropriate. He tried to spread the blame to the left for the anti-protests and it deluded his message of condemnation that should have been crystal clear in opposition of the hate groups. He should have spread the message in a better way to fight against it. I don't want to relitigate Trumps actions in this OP but I did want to share my change of opinion and open up a discussion about productive ways to move forward that combats the hate and preserves our right of free speech.

by taking down those statues and removing those flags you are basically playing into their persecution complex and giving them nothing but fodder for recruiting more people to their cause.

There is no reason to remove statues or monuments other than some people just feel a sense of butt hurt when they think or look at them. It's the same revulsion I feel when i walk past some nimrod with a Che shirt on. However I don't feel a need to rip the shirt off or yell at them about it. I sneer, shake my head, and KEEP WALKING.

by taking down those statues and removing those flags you are basically playing into their persecution complex and giving them nothing but fodder for recruiting more people to their cause.

There is no reason to remove statues or monuments other than some people just feel a sense of butt hurt when they think or look at them. It's the same revulsion I feel when i walk past some nimrod with a Che shirt on. However I don't feel a need to rip the shirt off or yell at them about it. I sneer, shake my head, and KEEP WALKING.
I disagree, that might be the short term play that they will attempt to capitalize on but in the long term it is removing a source of power and supremacy that exists. Many of those statues were constructed during the Jim Crow era as a check to the blacks that the values of the confederacy still exist. Like I said in the OP whether you take them down or minimize them with "counter" statues of civil rights leaders, I think either is a smart move to combat the hate.

Also, somebody wearing a shirt is very different than a statue or monument in a public square. You don't see statues of Hitler or his generals or a park named Nazi park in Germany. Doesn't that just make sense?

I disagree, that might be the short term play that they will attempt to capitalize on but in the long term it is removing a source of power and supremacy that exists. Many of those statues were constructed during the Jim Crow era as a check to the blacks that the values of the confederacy still exist. Like I said in the OP whether you take them down or minimize them with "counter" statues of civil rights leaders, I think either is a smart move to combat the hate.

The only power being provided is to the white power idiots, giving them a cause and a platform. Most of these were built in the early 1900's, well after the South "won" via plessey. What most of them are related to is the dying off of the Civil War Veterans, most of whom would have been in their 60's-80's between 1900 and 1920, when a lot of these monuments went up. Even the ones that went up in the 60's can be related to the 100th anniversaries of the start and the end of the Civil War

Why not just put up more memorials to Civil Rights leaders and let people see them all? .

Childish, unconscionable, and morally corrupt ....other than that, you're doing pretty good.

Thank you. When we make it ok to remove rights if we don't like you we are finished as a country of who we have been for 250 years.

He never nerfed the evil of white supremacist he Just tossed the hood rats and hippies into the same trash can where they belong. It's good that you are convicted to not act like an animal or condone bad behavior.

Also, somebody wearing a shirt is very different than a statue or monument in a public square. You don't see statues of Hitler or his generals or a park named Nazi park in Germany. Doesn't that just make sense?

It's the same angst that is created, the same butt hurt. The difference I don't feel the need to force my butt hurt on everyone else by banning Che shirts.

And while there are no Hitler memorials, there are monuments to German Soldiers who fell during the war.

German War Memorials

It's the same angst that is created, the same butt hurt. The difference I don't feel the need to force my butt hurt on everyone else by banning Che shirts.

And while there are no Hitler memorials, there are monuments to German Soldiers who fell during the war.

German War Memorials
You don't see the difference between the soldiers and the generals/leaders? Come on Marty, think on this one for a few minutes.

The only power being provided is to the white power idiots, giving them a cause and a platform. Most of these were built in the early 1900's, well after the South "won" via plessey. What most of them are related to is the dying off of the Civil War Veterans, most of whom would have been in their 60's-80's between 1900 and 1920, when a lot of these monuments went up. Even the ones that went up in the 60's can be related to the 100th anniversaries of the start and the end of the Civil War

Why not just put up more memorials to Civil Rights leaders and let people see them all? .
Really?? You don't think that Jim Crow had anything to do with it?

German War Memorials
You don't see the difference between the soldiers and the generals/leaders? Come on Marty, think on this one for a few minutes.
you can't take down what someone else values simply because you have different values. all this bullshit started with "we must remove the confed flag from gov grounds!!!"

the left promised that's all they wanted. the right said bullshit.

who was right now?

germany has a holocaust museum. we should at least preserve our past, good and bad, so we know who we are and where we came from. we can't erase the things we don't like or sooner or later none of us will be here.

Besides, most of the retards who where Che tshirts don't have a clue who he was, or why it was just desserts when his ass was killed. Charles Manson is another one I don't get the infatuation with.

Last edited:

German War Memorials

There is a difference but are seriously comparing Lee, Jackson and Davis to Hitler Goering and Himmler?

The memorial torn down by a mob in Durham was a soldier's memorial. Was that a just act according to you?

Slavery was horrible, but it was a (barely) accepted practice at the time (although at the waning end of that period). Compare that to Genocide which was NOT an accepted practice at the time of WWII.

The OP seems to want a pat on his back for deciding that he doesn't favor stripping all Americans of First Amendment rights.

Sorry, no cigar for you.

You should never have even CONSIDERED the other option.

Really?? You don't think that Jim Crow had anything to do with it?

It probably had some part to do with it. If you go to the battle of Liberty Square memorial THAT one had everything to do with it. But how much are memorials to the rank and file rebel Soldiers have to do with Jim Crow vs; remembering them as they were dying off of old age?

The big Arch in Grand Army Plaza was finished in 1892, a bit earlier but around the same time period.

Soldiers' and Sailors' Arch - Wikipedia

German War Memorials
you can't take down what someone else values simply because you have different values. all this bullshit started with "we must remove the confed flag from gov grounds!!!"

who was right now?

germany has a holocaust museum. we should at least preserve our past, good and bad, so we know who we are and where we came from. we can't erase the things we don't like or sooner or later none of us will be here.
I'm fine with preserving our past. Put the confederate statues into museums where there can be education and context around them. It really doesn't make logical sense to have so many statues of confederate generals around our communities. Why are we celebrating and glorifying these people in public areas?

Should we erect a bin laden statue by the twin towers to remind people of history?

Last edited:

^^^ The American Taliban alive and well. Mind your own area and leave others alone with their own historical monuments. If the people in those areas desire to remove those monuments or not use their flags let them do it and if in public areas they can do it by vote. If not you are no better than a Taliban, Nazi or Islamist asshole yourself.

German War Memorials

who was right now?

I'm fine with preserving our past. Put the confederate statues into museums where there can be education and context around them. It really doesn't make logical sense to have so many statues of confederate generals around our communities. Why are we celebrating and glorifying these people in public areas?

She we erect a bin laden statue by the twin towers to remind people of history?
GFY

The OP seems to want a pat on his back for deciding that he doesn't favor stripping all Americans of First Amendment rights.

Sorry, no cigar for you.

You should never have even CONSIDERED the other option.
I don't need a pat, just expressing my opinions... that ok with you?

Forum List

Back