rabbi speaks on marriage and family

I like Rabbi Sacks. He is difficult to get through if you don't keep in mind his audience sometimes. I've read his book the Dignity of Difference which is worth it.

"It was then, according to this new
discovery, that two fish came together to perform the first instance of sexual reproduction
known to science. Until then all life had propagated itself asexually, by cell division,
budding, fragmentation or parthenogenesis, all of which are far simpler and more
economical than the division of life into male and female, each with a different role in
creating and sustaining life."

Sorry, what fish reproduce sexually? Pretty sure the female deposits her eggs on something, leaves, then the male ejaculates on them. That's not sexual reproduction.

discovery, that two fish came together to perform the first instance of sexual reproduction
known to science. Until then all life had propagated itself asexually, by cell division,
budding, fragmentation or parthenogenesis, all of which are far simpler and more
economical than the division of life into male and female, each with a different role in

Sorry, what fish reproduce sexually? Pretty sure the female deposits her eggs on something, leaves, then the male ejaculates on them. That's not sexual reproduction.

Did you read this part too?
So that is one way of telling the story, a Jewish way, beginning with the birth of sexual reproduction, then the unique demands of human parenting, then the eventual triumph of monogamy as a fundamental statement of human equality, followed by the way marriage shaped our vision of the moral and religious life as based on love and covenant and faithfulness, even to the point of thinking of truth as a conversation between lover and beloved. Marriage and the family are where faith finds its home and where the Divine Presence lives in the love between husband and wife, parent and child.
What then has changed? Here’s one way of putting it. I wrote a book a few years ago about religion and science and I summarised the difference between them in two sentences. “Science takes things apart to see how they work. Religion puts things together to see what they mean.” And that’s a way of thinking about culture also. Does it put things together or does it take things apart?

"Polygamy is the ultimate expression of inequality because it means that
many males never get the chance to have a wife and child. And sexual envy has been,
throughout history, among animals as well as humans, a prime driver of violence."

Wish people'd quit misusing the word. That's polygany. Polygamy is actually quite fair.

"...that every human being, regardless of class, colour, culture or creed, is in the image and likeness of God himself."

Well, God and the angels. Verse says "...in our image." Not 'in my image.' And despite this, we still say the natural human form, nude, which would be that of God can be obscene. Go figure.

"And there is a deep connection between monotheism and monogamy, just as
there is, in the opposite direction, between idolatry and adultery. Monotheism and
monogamy are about the all-embracing relationship between I and Thou, myself and one
other, be it a human, or the divine, Other."

Is a deep connection between monogamy and violence too:
"Extramarital Sex

I also examined the influence of extramarital sex taboos upon crime and violence. The data clearly indicates that punitive-repressive attitudes toward extramarital sex are also linked with physical violence, personal crime, and the practice of slavery. Societies which value monogamy emphasize military glory and worship aggressive gods.

These cross-cultural data support the view of psychologists and sociologists who feel that sexual and psychological needs not being fulfilled within a marriage should be met outside of it, without destroying the primacy of the marriage relationship."
Article Body Pleasure and the Origins of Violence

Last edited:

So that is one way of telling the story, a Jewish way, beginning with the birth of sexual reproduction, then the unique demands of human parenting, then the eventual triumph of monogamy as a fundamental statement of human equality, followed by the way marriage shaped our vision of the moral and religious life as based on love and covenant and faithfulness, even to the point of thinking of truth as a conversation between lover and beloved. Marriage and the family are where faith finds its home and where the Divine Presence lives in the love between husband and wife, parent and child.
What then has changed? Here’s one way of putting it. I wrote a book a few years ago about religion and science and I summarised the difference between them in two sentences. “Science takes things apart to see how they work. Religion puts things together to see what they mean.” And that’s a way of thinking about culture also. Does it put things together or does it take things apart?

Read it all. Just finished. Rather puzzled why a rabbi was speaking to a Catholic gathering. Seems it's all about family and marriage. Christianity, and even more so Catholicism has nothing to do with Judaism or vice-versa. They're completely mutually exclusive religious systems. Be like having an Islamic imam speak to them or Hindu whatever.

Only possible reason I see is non-Muslim populations are being outbred by Muslims. Projected not too far into the future, Islam is going to be the majority global faith.

Read it all. Just finished. Rather puzzled why a rabbi was speaking to a Catholic gathering. Seems it's all about family and marriage. Christianity, and even more so Catholicism has nothing to do with Judaism or vice-versa. They're completely mutually exclusive religious systems. Be like having an Islamic imam speak to them or Hindu whatever.

Only possible reason I see is non-Muslim populations are being outbred by Muslims. Projected not too far into the future, Islam is going to be the majority global faith.
I first came across him when reading several books on conflict resolution.

Every religion must wrestle with its dark angels and so today must we Jews Christians and Muslims alike. - Rabbi Sacks

Every religion must wrestle with its dark angels and so today must we Jews Christians and Muslims alike. - Rabbi Sacks

There's only about 14 million Jews in the world today. There's over a billion Catholics, over a billion Protestants, and about 1.4 billion Muslims. It appears by having a promiment rabbi speak to Catholics, the intent isn't so much to form an alliance with the Jews, because there's so few what's it matter, but rather to once again establish Christian credibility by linking itself with Judaism.

all fish reproduce sexually. What you described is sexual reproduction. I'd be more shocked if you found a fish that reproduces asexually.

all fish reproduce sexually. What you described is sexual reproduction. I'd be more shocked if you found a fish that reproduces asexually.

Have always heard "sexual reproduction" as distinguished from asexual reproduction. What fish do isn't sex like humans have sex. It's some 3rd type in effect.

Fish don't have sex with other fish. It's 'sexual' only in the sense that a female egg gets fertilized by the male fishes' semen, but outside the body and not during intercourse. "Extrasexual reproduction" if you like. :)

Yet you don't seem to know the difference. Sexual reproduction is where a male and a female of a species come together to create a new life that is half the father and half the mother.

asexual reproduction is when an organism reproduces by itself.

Plus, as to the actual quote, I don't know how what fish did 385 million years ago could be known in regards to this. Because fish don't have sex, two who were mating and died and became fossilized wouldn't have happened. :) Since they'd always have been apart physically, what they were doing re: reproduction will be speculative and likely based on current observations.

Think what he was referring to was how old fish collectively are as a species.

There's only about 14 million Jews in the world today. There's over a billion Catholics, over a billion Protestants, and about 1.4 billion Muslims. It appears by having a promiment rabbi speak to Catholics, the intent isn't so much to form an alliance with the Jews, because there's so few what's it matter, but rather to once again establish Christian credibility by linking itself with Judaism.

Oh, I would not be surprised in the least if that isn't used as an ulterior motive for some.

He is big on religious liberty and interfaith alliances and has been for a very long time.
Religious liberty honoree Rabbi Lord Sacks builds bridges among faiths Deseret News National

Oh, I would not be surprised in the least if that isn't used as an ulterior motive for some.

He is big on religious liberty and interfaith alliances and has been for a very long time.
Religious liberty honoree Rabbi Lord Sacks builds bridges among faiths Deseret News National

Judaism isn't "cool" with interfaith ideas, nor is it tolerant of other religions. Can offer up 3 verses saying kill other religions' members. Can see them and other intolerant things yourself though at evilbible.com (all the decidely evil stuff in every Bible.)

Judaism isn't "cool" with interfaith ideas, nor is it tolerant of other religions. Can offer up 3 verses saying kill other religions' members. Can see them and other intolerant things yourself though at evilbible.com (all the decidely evil stuff in every Bible.)

Rabbi Sacks is cool with it. Other Rabbis involved in the Interfaith Alliance are also cool with it. Other religious leaders are also involved in the Interfaith Alliance and they are also cool with it.

These conversations have been taking place for well over a decade. Simply because many religions have spent centuries as enemies does not mean that they have to spend future centuries as enemies. Like I said, conflict resolution.

What's weird is an OP endorsing a speech which goes against the snake oil salesman Joseph smiths lifestyle, directly.

Quite odd.

It's the first decent conversation that's been down here in awhile.

Yes, is is. It requires two sexes.
Sexual reproduction does not require fucking.

The rabbi part with the fish, although, is ridiculous. And proof how uneducated religious leaders are.
The first sexual reproduction act known to us, which is not just a recent discovery by the way, are some protozoons still existing today. They kind of contact each other and exchange mitochondria.
In case of bacteria this is the way they develop resistences very fast.
This is not exactly the DNA part, but could have led to it.

Yes indeed it IS sexual reproduction. Fertilization is sexual reproduction if it happens in a womb or out of it. It still takes two genders to reproduce.

Forum List

Back