Quiche

Real men DO eat quiche.

Myself I'm making fried pork chops, mashed potatoes, green beans, and biscuits and gravy tonight.

I guess he's a quiche virgin.

Seriously, a great cheap dinner. I love quiches! I particularly like spinach and cheese with or without any meat. ;)

I'd love to make a spinach, mushroom and cheese quiche but the kids wouldn't touch it. :rolleyes:

I'm going to try a ham and cheese (sharp cheddar, jack and colby cause they don't much like swiss. once again :rolleyes:) buy I'm going to dice some zucchini very fine and put that in too. Do I put that in raw or give it a quick cook on the stove first?

I made Nigella Lawson's Glitzy Chocolate Pudding last week and on the inside of the Gihardelli wrapper was a recipe for a 9" square Marble Cheesecake Bars. Think I'll give that a try for dessert.

I'd love to make a spinach, mushroom and cheese quiche but the kids wouldn't touch it. :rolleyes:

I'm going to try a ham and cheese (sharp cheddar, jack and colby cause they don't much like swiss. once again :rolleyes:) buy I'm going to dice some zucchini very fine and put that in too. Do I put that in raw or give it a quick cook on the stove first?

I made Nigella Lawson's Glitzy Chocolate Pudding last week and on the inside of the Gihardelli wrapper was a recipe for a 9" square Marble Cheesecake Bars. Think I'll give that a try for dessert.

I blanch my veggies first, simply because it take some of the bitterness out of them. dont know if I'd use Zukes though. Go for the spinach. Just use fresh, blanch it first then chop it up real good, you'll get the flavor but there won't be gobs of spinach, if you're kids just don't like looking at spnach.

and i'd try baby swiss, its very mild so the kids won't complain, but you still get the swiss bite.

yes im a bit of of an aficionado when it comes to cooking.

I agree about blanching veggies, for both bite and color. Make a sauce, if the sauce is great the kids will eat nearly any finely cut up veggie.

I blanch my veggies first, simply because it take some of the bitterness out of them. dont know if I'd use Zukes though. Go for the spinach. Just use fresh, blanch it first then chop it up real good, you'll get the flavor but there won't be gobs of spinach, if you're kids just don't like looking at spnach.

and i'd try baby swiss, its very mild so the kids won't complain, but you still get the swiss bite.

yes im a bit of of an aficionado when it comes to cooking.

Never though of baby Swiss. Damn, just got back from the store too. Well, I'll give the cheddar mix a go and see how they like it and if it's well received I'll try baby Swiss next time. I didn't buy spinach . . . they just won't eat. I know they'll eat the zucchini though. I'm going to dice it very, very small so there's no big chunks.

i dont blanch....and its fine.....dice the zukes....not too small you want the color and all....

to go fancy....i use fresh asparagus, onions etc...arrange them so the slices show them...

So I made the quiche and it's in the oven. Pre-baked the crust (used my mom's recipe) and . . . the crust shrank. Some of the filling spilled under the crust. Oh well, points off for presentation! It smells good. The boy is leery of it. :lol:

I just use the refrigerated pre made crusts, all you do is unroll em. Seriously there is not enough of a difference to go through all that work

How could your kids not like Spinach? It's awesome, and SO SO healthy. Here's an idea for you . blanch fresh spinach then cream it into mashed potatoes. Totally delicious and they won't even know it's spinach.

hmmm crust only shrink if you try to mend them.....cant do that...you have to roll it out large and then not press on it to bring it up the dish or anything....

hey....some of my best meals have been failures....

i did tell you about baking something...it fell apart....so trifle was the next invention to cover the presentation...unforunately....i was in a hurry and all upset over the cake crashing that i didnt pay attention when laying...so i take it to a party....and we can't figure out why you can only spoon out the top half of it....o wait....here is the parachment paper...i had forgotten to remove the parachment paper from one layer and that was the layer in the middle....so we yank out the parachment paper and proceed to eat it....

any one who cooks a lot has failures....it is how you deal with those failures that count...

one day i will tell you the story of the puffs filled with ice cream and swirled in chocolate at the table..all of it made by my little hand

I didn't mend it but did spray a bit of non-stick spray because I didnt' think it would come out of the dish. Maybe that's why it shrunk. Hmmm . . .

When my MIL was in the hospital (broken hip, she never fully recovered and passed away) I made the nurses a chocolate cake with white icing. I must have forgotten to grease the pan cause that damn thing would not come out. I had the pans over the trash can ready to toss it and thought . . . wait a minute, who cares what it looks like? It will taste fantastic! So, I did the best I could putting it on the cake dish and drizzled that icing alll over the thing. Broken cake was a huge success and not a crumb was left.

First applesauce cake I ever made (I think I was about 12 or 13) I didn't read the directions and put in a whole jar of applesauce, rather than the 8oz it called for. lol, I never made that mistake again and am pretty thorough on reading the recipe a few times before making and also setting out (and making sure I have all of) the ingredients. Got caught once or twice in the middle of a dish and realized I was out of one of the ingredients.

I didn't mend it but did spray a bit of non-stick spray because I didnt' think it would come out of the dish. Maybe that's why it shrunk. Hmmm . . .

When my MIL was in the hospital (broken hip, she never fully recovered and passed away) I made the nurses a chocolate cake with white icing. I must have forgotten to grease the pan cause that damn thing would not come out. I had the pans over the trash can ready to toss it and thought . . . wait a minute, who cares what it looks like? It will taste fantastic! So, I did the best I could putting it on the cake dish and drizzled that icing alll over the thing. Broken cake was a huge success and not a crumb was left.

First applesauce cake I ever made (I think I was about 12 or 13) I didn't read the directions and put in a whole jar of applesauce, rather than the 8oz it called for. lol, I never made that mistake again and am pretty thorough on reading the recipe a few times before making and also setting out (and making sure I have all of) the ingredients. Got caught once or twice in the middle of a dish and realized I was out of one of the ingredients.

I agree. While I do like a nice presentation, my bottom line is 'good things in, good thing out.' I serve good thing, regardless of ooops that do happen. Waste not, want not.

I agree. While I do like a nice presentation, my bottom line is 'good things in, good thing out.' I serve good thing, regardless of ooops that do happen. Waste not, want not.

Same here, and no one complains, because if you complain tonight, dad doesn't cook tomorrow night and that they don't want.

Tomorrow night is homemade clam chowder, served in homemade bread bowls.

It was delicious! Kids ate it with minimal complaints. The girl was fine until I said there were eggs in it. She's decided she doesn't like eggs anymore. The boy said he liked it but I'm not sure I believed him. Might be a textural thing with him though.

The Ghirardelli Marble Cheesecake bars were only just ok. Won't make them again.

Forum List

Back