Questions and comments about individual mandate

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Ravi, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,801
    I've noticed and heard that the individual mandate was once called personal responsibility by the Republicans. This is the plan they favored when the country was faced with HillaryCare. In fact, as recently as 2009 Republican Chuck Grassley spoke in favor of the individual mandate, calling it personal responsibility. And yes, at the same time the Democrats were against an individual mandate.

I also notice that SCOTUS is hyper partisan and we all know that the vast majority of the nine justices will vote their party ideals and that is a shame. Perhaps we should have monkeys that throw darts at a dart board pick supreme court justices and we'd get a more bi-partisan panel.

My questions are:

1) If the individual mandate is unconstitutional because it forces all to pay money to a private insurance company then are not all privatization schemes also unconstitutional? (For instance, privatizing Medicare)

2) If the Senate, which is equal representation of all 50 States, voted to approve the individual mandate (which they did) how can anyone claim that the individual mandate is against State's rights?

3) If we are allowed to get health care at the emergency room, then shouldn't we be required to make everyone pay for it?

I would much rather have seen the public option, btw.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. IHBF

IHBF BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +154
    2) If the Senate, which is equal representation of all 50 States, voted to approve the individual mandate (which they did) how can anyone claim that the individual mandate is against State's rights?

I believe some states like Virginia have passed legislation that basically says no citizen of Virginia can be penalized for not buying health insurance. This Act, a federal one, would conflict with that.

On a previous point you made: Why isn't the Occupy crowd up in arms about being forced to buy a product from a corporation?

3. SniperFire

SniperFire Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,223
    --

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,829
    Regarding Number Three -

How is it constitutional to force me to pay more because other's don't pay for their own care?

5. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,801
    I'm not sure how that law in Virginia will work. Do they also claim someone can't be penalized for not paying their payroll taxes?

As for OWS, I have no idea nor do I care.

6. SniperFire

SniperFire Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,223

Don't buy the services if you don't wish.

Or better yet, dump Liberal politicians who insist on giving away healthcare to freeloaders, thereby driving up your costs.

7. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,829
    Sniiper Fire
    That's not even remotely related to what he/she said but my question is, why to rw's believe that those who pay for own insurance should be forced to pay for their care too?

I am so sick of the welfare right wingers who talk such a good game right up until they have to get their check book out and pay their own way. No one who pays for their own insurance would be stupid enough to NOT want the opportunity to pay less. Therefore, they also would not want the Affordable Health Care Act struck down.

8. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,801
    Why is it unconstitutional, then?

The Senate is elected to represent their states.

So you think emergency services shouldn't be provided at all? I'm not totally sure, but I thought that was a Ronald Reagan thing.

9. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,801
    You end up paying for it anyway in higher healthcare costs.

10. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,354

That's between you and the insurer.