question

wimpy77

Jan 21, 2009
how much money should i take out of the market. i think the correction is finally here and should i put it in cash?

how much money should i take out of the market. i think the correction is finally here and should i put it in cash?

Here's a suggestion, from a chart analysis guy, Steve Frenkel, @ Marketpatternwatch.com

Interviewed today, 6/16, he says that DOW will hit 9000/9100, Nasdaq 1915-1920, and then the bottom drops out.

Both stocks and commodities.

Remain out at least until October.

Who knows.

im kinda thinking that this is the correction that most people were looking for but i could be wrong. wouldn't be the first time :)

Last edited:
im kinda thinking that this is the correction that most people were looking for but i could be wrong. wouldn't be the first time :)

Two pieces of advice...

1. Don't make your decision based solely on ONE analyst's chart analysis

2. Don't make your decision based solely on someone's opinion on a message board.

That being said though, here's my opinion. The market is due for a correction, because to me it seems like some of these companies are too overvalued for this economic environment. Look at the balance sheets of the companies you're invested in. If they're healthy, then take SOME off the table, but don't liquidate your entire positions, in fact, buy back in on dips. If you have money tied up in companies with too much liability (debt), then it's probably better to move it.

If you have money in any commodities, and you REALLY think a correction is coming, then liquidate some and wait for the dip. I'm bullish on commodities myself, becuase if we do have some kind of economic turnaround, you know commodities are going to inflate. Not only that, commodities are necessities for life. You can almost never go wrong as long as you don't blow the timing.

Most everyone believes there is going to be a correction. Some believe it will be much bigger than others. Personally, I believe we haven't hit the low of lows yet. I think the correction is going to be rather significant, but that's just me. The point is that a correction almost certainly is coming. Do you wait for the market to go up a couple hundred more points or not? If you believe the correction is inevitable, then trying to time it just right really doesn't make good sense.

Two pieces of advice...

1. Don't make your decision based solely on ONE analyst's chart analysis

2. Don't make your decision based solely on someone's opinion on a message board.

That being said though, here's my opinion. The market is due for a correction, because to me it seems like some of these companies are too overvalued for this economic environment. Look at the balance sheets of the companies you're invested in. If they're healthy, then take SOME off the table, but don't liquidate your entire positions, in fact, buy back in on dips. If you have money tied up in companies with too much liability (debt), then it's probably better to move it.

If you have money in any commodities, and you REALLY think a correction is coming, then liquidate some and wait for the dip. I'm bullish on commodities myself, becuase if we do have some kind of economic turnaround, you know commodities are going to inflate. Not only that, commodities are necessities for life. You can almost never go wrong as long as you don't blow the timing.

Here is another suggestion, if you are reacting to something that has happened on the market recently (due to the death of my father, I have not been paying much attention the past couple of weeks) then it is already too late to react. Don't pull out just because the market fell the past couple of days. If you didn't pull out before it started to drop, then wait for it to rebound. It will.

Immie

You should not be asking how much YOU should be taking out of the market. That is and always should be your decision, not a decision based on the opinion of others.

Yesterday, I hedged out all my longs by putting on short positions. But I could be wrong and will cover all my shorts tomorrow if I think I am.

I got out of the market altogether and put my money into CD's. It pays crap BUT it won't loose money. I was tired of getting beat up.

i shifted some things around and put some in commodities. im glad i got of the financials after what happened today.

The problem is going to be the media. When or if the market starts to correct significantly, the media is only going to make it that much worse by hyping it up and making into something it might not necessarily be.

Expect serious resistance before DOW 9000, like we've been seeing, and expect serious support at the March low if we retest it.

If it happens to break 9000, all bets are off. Same thing if it breaks the low.

This is a trader's market right now anyway. If you have the free time during the day, play with it a bit. It can be fun as long as you're investing what you can afford, and are WILLING to, lose.

anytime Im worried about a correction I hedge using options. I either buy puts or sell calls on the SPX
Right now im long the 890 puts,short the 850's short the 920 calls and short the 930's. Using options you can decide how much of your portfolio you wish to hedge.
I post my stock market opinions on my blog at stockblogger.rdking.com and on my twitter page #rdking647

Forum List

Back