Question on US citizenship by birth

Jun 29, 2004
I am just wondering about this … can someone please clarify it?

Are there any limitations on granting a citizenship to children born in the USA to foreign nationals?

For instance, if illegal aliens have a child here is a US citizenship granted to a child?

How about a couple from any foreign country who has a child here while on vacation or on a temporary work assignment?

Lastly, if legal residents (green card holders) have a child here is the child then US citizen?

If the answer is yes on any of the scenarios above how did this come to be? I cannot think of other countries that would grant citizenship by birth (surely there must be .. I just don’t know of any).

What do you think about granting a citizenship to a child of foreign nationals? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Originally posted by 777
I am just wondering about this … can someone please clarify it?

Are there any limitations on granting a citizenship to children born in the USA to foreign nationals?

For instance, if illegal aliens have a child here is a US citizenship granted to a child?

How about a couple from any foreign country who has a child here while on vacation or on a temporary work assignment?

Lastly, if legal residents (green card holders) have a child here is the child then US citizen?

If the answer is yes on any of the scenarios above how did this come to be? I cannot think of other countries that would grant citizenship by birth (surely there must be .. I just don’t know of any).

What do you think about granting a citizenship to a child of foreign nationals? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Any child born on US soil, is an American citizen. Been that way from the beginning I believe. There has been talk of changing the law, but to the best of my knowledge, it remains that way today.

yep. that is why so many illegal aliens come here pregnant. thye have their kids here and once the kid is born, the gov't has to let the mother stay too since the kid is now a US citizen.

Forum List

Back