Question?--How many homeless are you all seeing--what cities--what states?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by oreo, Dec 3, 2009.

1. oreo

oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,157
    I live in Woodland Park, CO--& drive down Ute Pass to get to Colorado Springs-about a 22 mile drive. The number of tent cities I am seeing are unbelievable along the creek. I have lived here all my life & have never seen this. Right now it is winter--December & as I was driving up the pass tonight I noticed the temperature was 0.

These people are families with children--I have seen their clothes hung out on the line. These are American families that have lost everything & are now living in tents & we are in the winter months--& it makes me sick to my stomach. I don't believe that we have the shelters to house this many people.

Colorado has a relatively low unemployment rate at 7% compared to the rest of the nation, so I know some of you are seeing worse. So here's your chance to tell the rest of us what you are seeing in your communities.

BUT I WANT TO MAKE ONE POINT--THAT I WANT YOU ALL TO REMEMBER:

Don't ever forget that our federal government did this: They are the creators of this current economic collapse. They did it by co-signing our names to 50% of the mortgages in this country through Fannie/Freddie while at the same time lowering lending requirements, using sub-prime mortgages, in which people who could really not afford a certain home were able to buy one anyway--with your signature attached to it.

"When government is big enough to give you everything you want, it's also big enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. Polk

Polk Classic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +569
    The federal government didn't force banks to lower lending requirements. Banks did that on their own because they could repackage the loans and sell them as securities, minimizing the downside risk.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. oreo

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,157

Read it & weap

Fannie Mae Eases Credit To Aid Mortgage Lending - The New York Times

Government deregulated AIG--Fannie/Freddie in the 1990's.

You will note in the above article that Clinton "banking officials" were puttng PRESSURE on Fannie to reduce lending requirements.

Pay special attention to the 4th or 5th paragraph of this article with the warning that was made 10 years ago.

4. asaratis

asaratis Uppity Senior Citizen Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,521
    Thank Jimmy Carter and BIll Clinton, along with crooks like Franklin Raines and Barney Frank for enabling the housing market collapse.

5. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    Oreo, I don't get out much these days so I don't know about the homeless situation here but I watch the local news and the last several months there seems to be a big increase on day time home invasions. I heard last night these 3 guys broke into an 80 year old's house stole $200.00, watches and his car, ditched the car two blocks away. While they were robbing him at gun point one of the perps said. "Sorry man but we are on hard times" Like who the heck isn't these days!

The crime I've noticed is increasing a lot.

6. oreo

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,157

Yeah--I am expecting that crime will increase, in fact it has down in Colo. Spgs. But--where do you live--just curious if you're seeing what I am? Tent cities & more homeless in your area.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  7. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,411
    Shit dude, I know exactly where you're at. My parents and youngest brother still live in Widefield. I'm actually surprised to hear about the families. There has to be unused properties in the Springs to house them, there always has been. Do the local authorities know about these people?

8. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    I'm deep in the woods Virginia...If I wanted to go to the mall I have to drive 45 miles to get there. Next time I go out that way I'll look around.

9. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,411
    What part of VA? I'm live in NoVa and do a lot of driving around VA, MD and PA. I have yet to see one single tent, let alone a tent city.

10. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    I was at the Flying J travel plaza in Tulsa, OK the other day and saw 10 or so families living in their cars.