Question for those of you with children

Trinity

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2004
For those of you who have kid's I am wondering does anyone have a child or children with ADD (attention deficit disorder)?

If so at what age were they diagnosed?

What were your options?

What kind of meds?

What kinds of things were going on that made you go for diagnosis?

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

reason I'm asking is I am suspecting my 8 year old may be ADD.

after finding out he had 5 missing assignments, I decided to spend the day in his classroom, next to him, to observe, and noticed he had great difficulty staying focused and finishing assignments, amongst several other things. He also is this way at home not finishing things.

I brought this up with his teacher today, and asked her what she thought? and she said that she was wondering if he may be ADD?

khafley said:
For those of you who have kid's I am wondering does anyone have a child or children with ADD (attention deficit disorder)?

If so at what age were they diagnosed?

What were your options?

What kind of meds?

What kinds of things were going on that made you go for diagnosis?

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

reason I'm asking is I am suspecting my 8 year old may be ADD.

after finding out he had 5 missing assignments, I decided to spend the day in his classroom, next to him, to observe, and noticed he had great difficulty staying focused and finishing assignments, amongst several other things. He also is this way at home not finishing things.

I brought this up with his teacher today, and asked her what she thought? and she said that she was wondering if he may be ADD?

frankly, what you describe sounds like a normal kid. Don't be quick to have your child diagnosed with ADD. A little discipline, with lots of love and perhaps a little more attention, and all will be okay.

Did you know that most very successful people have been "diagnosed" as having ADD? They learn how to do multiple tasks and they are always challenging themselves. Maybe he needs more of a challenge. Perhaps the work is TOO easy for him.

If you put him on meds, you might just be tranquilizing a kid that has a lot to offer the world and perhaps because of that, we will all miss out on some wonderous invention that is sitting in his head and just waiting to come out. Once he is put on ADD drugs, forget about it.

ADD is over diagnosed and is really nothing more than a scam to get kids on prescription drugs early. The drugs basically put the kid in a trance and they become "compliant" and just another cog in the wheel.

Try disciplining him when he misses his assignments by taking something that he enjoys away. I bet he won't miss to many more after that.

But then again, that is JMHO

freeandfun1 said:
frankly, what you describe sounds like a normal kid. Don't be quick to have your child diagnosed with ADD. A little discipline, with lots of love and perhaps a little more attention, and all will be okay.

Did you know that most very successful people have been "diagnosed" as having ADD? They learn how to do multiple tasks and they are always challenging themselves. Maybe he needs more of a challenge. Perhaps the work is TOO easy for him.

If you put him on meds, you might just be tranquilizing a kid that has a lot to offer the world and perhaps because of that, we will all miss out on some wonderous invention that is sitting in his head and just waiting to come out. Once he is put on ADD drugs, forget about it.

ADD is over diagnosed and is really nothing more than a scam to get kids on prescription drugs early. The drugs basically put the kid in a trance and they become "compliant" and just another cog in the wheel.

Try disciplining him when he misses his assignments by taking something that he enjoys away. I bet he won't miss to many more after that.

Oh believe me, I am not one to jump on the meds band wagon, I have a big problem with kid's being on medication. They will have to do some intensive research into my childs brain before I go that route.

Could it be things haven't changed at home yet, in the family situation?
Sorry to be so blunt, but it wasn't long ago you were leaving cuz it was so bad.
Could be the problem...

don't medicate you kids....i was ADD until my parents got a divorce and we moved away from my dad...then i was a straight A student

Mr. P said:
Could it be things haven't changed at home yet, in the family situation?
Sorry to be so blunt, but it wasn't long ago you were leaving cuz it was so bad.
Could be the problem...

That's ok P, for the most part my husband has improved alot. which is a big step for him. He still has his moments, but I am able to get him under control before he loses it. His relationship with the kid's has greatly improved although he still has a tendency to speak without thinking first. which we are working on.

Also throw this into the mix as well, My older daughter (18) and son (16) from a previous marriage who have not lived with me since they were 4 and 2 were diagnosed as ADD and ADHD and are both on medication. My husbands older son (14) from a previous relationship was diagnosed as ADD in the 3rd grade and is also on medication. My husband's brother's daughter (7) was just recently diagnosed as ADD. See were i'm going here.

khafley said:
That's ok P, for the most part my husband has improved alot. which is a big step for him. He still has his moments, but I am able to get him under control before he loses it. His relationship with the kid's has greatly improved although he still has a tendency to speak without thinking first. which we are working on.

Good to hear things are getting better.:thup:

freeandfun1 said:

exactly. Perfect reply.

Forum List

Back