Question for posters who are attorneys

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Si modo, May 21, 2012.

1. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    So, Jillian, George, and Liability seem to be attorneys. And, anyone else who is or who knows, please provide input.

I plan on going to the law school library later today, or maybe tomorrow, based on the tips I'm given, so that I can use their Westlaw database and search.

I need to look for some record of the Virginia General Assembly (our bicameral 'congress' in the Commonwealth) when they were debating a law to add to the Code of Virginia. I am hoping to glean from that record of the General Assembly's debate leading up to the passage of that law their intent when they passed it.

I know the title and section of the Code and about the time it was passed. But, if I could find some record of our legislature's debate about the passage of that law, that would be EXTREMELY helpful.

Any tips for searches in Westlaw - keywords or how to do the search? I used it before back in February for another "project" requiring search of caselaw, but now need to find intent for passage of a Commonwealth law.

Thanks!

2. Warrior102

Warrior102 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,029
    Call Rob Wittman's office.
    His staff is very helpful.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Thanks, Warrior. But I'm not one of his constitutents. Plus, I need the Commonwealth record (the General Assembly), not the federal.

I'll try, though.

4. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    call your local university....it may take a few ...on holds and all but they will get you to the right person...

if we find a dead bird or such...we call asu and ask the bird professors if they want it. the professors in all departments are a great source of things....and they dont mind the odd questions...

when the lawn furniture was under seige ...we emailed a photo of one feather to a professor at the raptor center in charlotte....he identified the bird and told us what to do....free advice from experts...who can beat that