Question: Clogged hard drive. Help!!!!

Try this:

Windows XP Update Remover - delete $NtUninstall Windows Update backup files. Freeware

Whenever Windows Update runs to install security fixes and other updates to your system, it creates a folder within the Windows folder containing all the files replaced during the update. These folders have names like "$NtUninstall..." and are highlighted in blue. The contents of these folders are only ever needed if you uninstall an update. If you are not going to uninstall an update then its backup folder can be removed to save disk space. However, these folders cannot (or should not) simply be deleted, because they are referred to by links in the Registry.

Manually removing these folders and their related Registry links is possible, but not easy. This is where Windows XP Update Remover comes in. It makes clean removal of these folders easy. Just select an update from the list, read the information about it to see what it is, and then click Remove backup folder. If you want to know what an update does before deleting its backup folders then you can click on a link to Microsoft web pages that describe the update.

Try this:

Windows XP Update Remover - delete $NtUninstall Windows Update backup files. Freeware

Whenever Windows Update runs to install security fixes and other updates to your system, it creates a folder within the Windows folder containing all the files replaced during the update. These folders have names like "$NtUninstall..." and are highlighted in blue. The contents of these folders are only ever needed if you uninstall an update. If you are not going to uninstall an update then its backup folder can be removed to save disk space. However, these folders cannot (or should not) simply be deleted, because they are referred to by links in the Registry.

Manually removing these folders and their related Registry links is possible, but not easy. This is where Windows XP Update Remover comes in. It makes clean removal of these folders easy. Just select an update from the list, read the information about it to see what it is, and then click Remove backup folder. If you want to know what an update does before deleting its backup folders then you can click on a link to Microsoft web pages that describe the update.

It won't load till they can make some space on the hard drive.

Tell him to move his pics, music, an' movies to CD's & DVD's...

... then clean out the cookies in his browser...

... then run Disk Clean-up and Disk Defragmenter in...

... Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools....

... dat oughta do the trick.
:cool:

Get a Live CD of Linux and delete the files from there. You can also use it to cut and paste all of the pRon flicks to a chump change 16 gig thumb drive.

I don't know how I forgot this, not having to use it anymore I guess. It's Windows XP, XP loves to hold on to all the old temp files that a standard disc clean will not get rid of. I'm guessing, as old as the system is, that there are probably 8.00 to 10,000 temp files stored.
Go to Start, Search then type in %TEMP% and hit enter. Start deleting by clicking on the first file then useing Shift - left click on the bottome file of that page, right click on the highlighted files and select delete. Keep repeating the process until all the files that are not in use are deleted. If you try to select all then delete the system will lock up, too many files to delete at once.

Will try that Ringel. Thanks.

I know it'll work but he's going to be there for an hour or two getting rid of those files. What will happen when a file that's in use is in the highlighted area to be deleted the computer will tell you it can't be deleted because it's in use. Pay attention to what file it says it is because he'll have to highlight around it/them so it can get a little frustrating.

Purt sure Disk Cleanup in XP has a temporary file option...

... it'll delete the temp files that aren't in use...

... takes a few minutes, then do the defrag...

... have to do it as an administrator, though.
:cool:

Someone may have noted this already. Go to start, all programs, Accessories - system tools - disk clean up, as a start, remove unneeded. Next go to Amazon and purchase a one terabyte drive. An Iomega's drive is a good choice. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Iomega-Prestige-Desktop-Drive-35180/dp/B004L9M4C8/ref=dp_ob_title_ce[/ame]

Last edited:
You're going to probably have to manually clean up the files yourself. It's not that hard. Make sure they are backed up on an external drive. Then you can do:

Click Windows widget. In the "Search Files and Programs" space, type "*.jpg". Delete those files. Then do "*.png" and delete those files. Type in "*.mp3" delete those files.

You have to get rid of the files on the hard drive taking up the space..it's as simple as that. Media files are the biggest. When you are done..run disk defrag to clean it up.

Common File Extensions

Hombre spent hours deleting files last night. Emptied the recycle bin. And still doesn't have enough space on his hard drive to do a defrag. :(

Hombre spent hours deleting files last night. Emptied the recycle bin. And still doesn't have enough space on his hard drive to do a defrag. :(

Now that's weird, that should have cleared up tons of space, it's always worked in the past. Try Sallow's solution, if that doesn't work then find or purchase an XP installation disc back up all his important files and pictures, format C: and start new. Or take it to a certified repair center or you could get a new puter.

I'm actually pushing him to get the new puter now. 80 gigis is just too small a hard drive these days. And I don't really want to put a lot of money into a 10-yr-old PC. My PC was a bit newer than his and the mother board cratered last January. I haven't replaced it and just use my laptop.

Last edited:
I'm actually pushing him to get the new puter now. 80 gigis is just too small a hard drive these days. And I don't really want to put a lot of money into a 10-yr-old PC. My PC was a bit newer than his and the mother board cratered last January. I haven't replaced it and just use my laptop.

You could just get a new, bigger drive, but seeing as how the thing is 10 years old it's probably better to go new. Even the cheapest you could find will probably be a marked improvement.

Good luck. :thup:

For what he's doing he could get new computer, monitor, mouse and keyboard for under $400 or a fairly good computer with good graphics for the same price if he doesn't need a new monitor, keyboard or mouse.

For what he's doing he could get new computer, monitor, mouse and keyboard for under $400 or a fairly good computer with good graphics for the same price if he doesn't need a new monitor, keyboard or mouse.

Yes. Even my new HP pavilion notebook with 17" screen and all the bells and whistles was less than $500 on sale.

Yes. Even my new HP pavilion notebook with 17" screen and all the bells and whistles was less than $500 on sale.

BTW, tell him sorry about the long hours of removing temp files. I could have sworn that would have fixed it.
That just gave me a thought, does he do back ups every once in a while? If so have him check where the back up destination folder is going. If he's backing up his computer onto the C: drive that would explain it, essentially replicating his C: drive over and over on the same drive.

Forum List

Back